Want to Rank up in CS:GO?

This is a discussion on Want to Rank up in CS:GO? within the Counter-Strike: Guides board part of the Counter-Strike Forum category; There's no one way to improve your rank in CS :GO, some people have weaker aiming, some have issues in ...

CatsNeverDie is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to Rank up in CS:GO?

There's no one way to improve your rank in CS:GO, some people have weaker aiming, some have issues in proper movement. And the most important thing to understand is the ranking system. There are two types of ranks; 1) Profile Rank and 2) Competitive Rank.

You can read about the ranking system in more detail online, here's a link. It used to be true that you get more hackers and cheaters at higher ranks in competitive but in the last say 3-4 months Valve's Anti Cheat or VAC system has been doing very well to identify and ban these hackers. So most of the hacking is now at lower ranks because cheaters are being reported and banned in large numbers.

As far as increasing ranks is concerned, after having external issues solved, you need to improve your own game. As I said Aiming is big area where every player can improve. The better you aim, the more kills you get, the more wins you get, the more XP you get and more you level up/rank up.

So to improve your aim you need learn from the pros here are a few videos to learn from.

After that its practice, practice and more practice. Now another main area where players make mistakes is movement. As CS:GO is a skill based game, every move you make, makes a difference. And proper movement and not making movement mistakes can make all the difference in you killing or getting killed.

Here's a couple of movement guide videos;

Lastly, CS:GO is a team based game. And playing as a team matters, most of the times the team who has better teamwork wins, regardless of skill. Even if both teams are equal in skill, team work is the deciding factor in victory or defeat.

And the most important part to learn for team work is the communication and calls. You need to learn the Call Outs so you can follow and give out proper calls to your team in order to work together and stack up the wins. Here's a comprehensive guide for all the Callouts of the current active duty map pool for 2018.
    They re-spawn.

Kspade is offline Global Moderators

Array
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide, I pinned it since this section does not get much traffic.

For the higher level players here, Elmapuddy is fantastic.

dantooltd is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome guide, deserves to be pinned. There definitely needs to be more guides like this on D3 Scene, at least for CS, I'm not too sure if there are many guides for the other games.

It might also be of interest for those struggling to rank up to look at Total CS:GO's Rank List which has some more tips and rank distribution.

Rank distribution is really important to bear in mind when trying to rank up, because lots of players get "stuck" or "plateaued" at mid to high level ranks without really realizing why. The lower the amount of players in rank distribution, the harder it is to rank up. You might have noticed it took you a while to get out of silver, but moving up through the Gold Novas was pretty quick - it's not placebo, that was likely the case.
    I'm not too sure why this is the case, because we aren't aware of how ELO in CS:GO works exactly, but it's probably due to a lower variability of ELO in the higher distribution ranks, meaning the losses and gains aren't as hard hitting. There's a lower ELO variability because there's a larger amount of players to choose from, and therefore Valve can find you a match with players that are closer to your level. With a higher ELO variability, a loss or win can have a much greater or smaller effect on your ELO. I.e. if you are top of MG and go against MG1s and win, you are going to gain less ELO than you would have if you were MG1.

Would anyone be interested in a newer guide on ranking up? I can make one if so.

georgec is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great post, thank you!
    I also advise you to read one of the latest articles about how to rank up in csgo

Kspade is offline Global Moderators

Array
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dantooltd View Post
    Awesome guide, deserves to be pinned. There definitely needs to be more guides like this on D3 Scene, at least for CS, I'm not too sure if there are many guides for the other games.

It might also be of interest for those struggling to rank up to look at Total CS:GO's Rank List which has some more tips and rank distribution.

Rank distribution is really important to bear in mind when trying to rank up, because lots of players get "stuck" or "plateaued" at mid to high level ranks without really realizing why. The lower the amount of players in rank distribution, the harder it is to rank up. You might have noticed it took you a while to get out of silver, but moving up through the Gold Novas was pretty quick - it's not placebo, that was likely the case.
    I'm not too sure why this is the case, because we aren't aware of how ELO in CS:GO works exactly, but it's probably due to a lower variability of ELO in the higher distribution ranks, meaning the losses and gains aren't as hard hitting. There's a lower ELO variability because there's a larger amount of players to choose from, and therefore Valve can find you a match with players that are closer to your level. With a higher ELO variability, a loss or win can have a much greater or smaller effect on your ELO. I.e. if you are top of MG and go against MG1s and win, you are going to gain less ELO than you would have if you were MG1.

Would anyone be interested in a newer guide on ranking up? I can make one if so.
    Make one and I'll pin it.