Vac Sleeping?

This is a discussion on Vac Sleeping? within the Counter-Strike: Hack Chat board part of the Counter-Strike Forum category; Maybe little OT but realistically how "strong" can VAC be? I know little how VAC works but without their own ...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    xde
    xde is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe little OT but realistically how "strong" can VAC be? I know little how VAC works but without their own client and intrusive AC like ESEA could they ever get close to that level of AC? Or maybe if they did something like Faceit and search data for unusal behaviors or whatever Faceit is doing. I guess my main question is will MM always be a full cheat fest or could they one day get the cheat level down to something like ESEA?

DarkJesture is offline That 1 guy...

Array
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xde View Post
    Maybe little OT but realistically how "strong" can VAC be? I know little how VAC works but without their own client and intrusive AC like ESEA could they ever get close to that level of AC? Or maybe if they did something like Faceit and search data for unusal behaviors or whatever Faceit is doing. I guess my main question is will MM always be a full cheat fest or could they one day get the cheat level down to something like ESEA?
    Probably not, the cheat scene makes valve too much money. ESEA has a more powerful anti-cheat because it is for more serious players.

Send your reason for adding me or be ignored.

LordTristan is offline Premium Member

Array
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xde View Post
    VAC could probably get more aggressive in it's banning and a good chunk of cheats, even paid cheats are blatantly obvious.

1.) Engine function hooking (Hook address inside unknown memory range)
    2.) BSP Parsing (Unknown process opening handles to map files)
    3.) Strings in memory (Obvious cheat related strings)
    4.) Blanket byte signatures (Widely used functions such as CalcAngle)
    5.) Process start/stop events. Easy injector/paid cheat client detection. (VAC already sees that stuff but only if Steam is open, why not run SteamService.exe all the time instead?)
    6.) Modified objects or NetVars with impossible values

The list goes on...

A large chunk of this stuff is extremely easy to detect and just ban for without review and if Valve and the VAC team grew a pair of balls, stopped walking on eggshells and just banned very obvious cheats, your opinion of VAC would be very different. VAC isn't an exceptionally good anti-cheat but it only looks as bad as it does because the way Valve operates it.
    Last edited by LordTristan; 02-13-2016 at 11:33 PM.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LordTristan For This Useful Post:

peesilent is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello reddit.
    Neck yourselves.

fire007 is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let’s assume that valve creates a perfect AC like ESEA, do you really think it would have the same number of users? I think NO, less users means less interest, which also means less Skins and people actually wasting money on opening cases, it does involves a lot of factors.

But I am quite sure, it has been quite sometime and volvo would do a BIG VAC wave, and then have 64 or 128 tick servers?

Horsty is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTristan View Post
    VAC could probably get more aggressive in it's banning and a good chunk of cheats, even paid cheats are blatantly obvious.

5.) Process start/stop events. Easy injector/paid cheat client detection. (VAC already sees that stuff but only if Steam is open, why not run SteamService.exe all the time instead?)

The list goes on...

A large chunk of this stuff is extremely easy to detect and just ban for without review and if Valve and the VAC team grew a pair of balls, stopped walking on eggshells and just banned very obvious cheats, your opinion of VAC would be very different. VAC isn't an exceptionally good anti-cheat but it only looks as bad as it does because the way Valve operates it.

I can't agree with your list, VALVe hast to ensure that no false Positivs happen.
    Strings in memory can't ever be a 100% factor for example you write a Powerpoint about cheats :-)
    Also BSP parsing .. shit tons of Programms opening files or creating Handels to files.

But for point 4 and 6 i fully agree its really funny how you are still able to create Glow hacks... and c+p hacks together without fear of getting banned.
    Hell you even can Copy a full source and compile it with different settings...
    and people wondering why so much shit gets sold

sometimes i think valve doesn't improve VAC anymore so the cheat scene keeps their low standards ...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsty For This Useful Post:

Atex is offline Premium Member

Array
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsty View Post
    I can't agree with your list, VALVe hast to ensure that no false Positivs happen.
    Strings in memory can't ever be a 100% factor for example you write a Powerpoint about cheats :-)
    Also BSP parsing .. shit tons of Programms opening files or creating Handels to files.

But for point 4 and 6 i fully agree its really funny how you are still able to create Glow hacks... and c+p hacks together without fear of getting banned.
    Hell you even can Copy a full source and compile it with different settings...
    and people wondering why so much shit gets sold

sometimes i think valve doesn't improve VAC anymore so the cheat scene keeps their low standards ...
    Well for part 4 we need to keep in mind that different compilers produce different code, different compiler settings might produce different code and people could just slightly modify these functions. Though I do not even use this CalcAngles function as valve has their own function for this purpose

interwebzCC is offline Advanced Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LordTristan View Post

The list goes on...

But why ruin something you profit from? Or even spend huge amount of money in a Developer team when you can just throw out Overwatch. Its all about dem $$$

levelcap is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by interwebzCC View Post
    But why ruin something you profit from? Or even spend huge amount of money in a Developer team when you can just throw out Overwatch. Its all about dem $$$
    In the current case of cs go hackers generated enough money for gaben to get better talented ppl in the anti cheat department AND get 90% of the hackers banned and when that happen you will play matchamaking hacker free for a couple days then back to the same old story unless the new vac system is more harder to break through
    Real programmers don't document, if it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Razex is offline Advanced Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by interwebzCC View Post
    Because people are losing faith in VAC and either move on from MM or move to another game entirely. It would be easier for them to flag public cheats aswell instead of having to do it manually for every release on mpgh and UC, just my thoughts on it though ofcourse.

Anyways, we made frontpage boys:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffen...ppened_to_vac/

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast