View Poll Results: What's worse, stealing CD keys or paying for hacks?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stealing CD keys

44 70.97%
  • Paying for hacks

18 29.03%

What's worse: Stealing CD Keys for games OR paying for hacks on games?

This is a discussion on What's worse: Stealing CD Keys for games OR paying for hacks on games? within the D3scene related board part of the General category; Qxc you know how to sit on a damn fence, rofl. Personally, I'd much rather steal a key then have ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Chronuswing is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Qxc you know how to sit on a damn fence, rofl.

Personally, I'd much rather steal a key then have to pay for a hack, but on the ethics of it, clearly the stealing is the worst of the two options, but he's right, it is wal mart, and I've never heard great stories about their employee care, and i've heard a lot of bad stuff going on with their "profit sharing" system, wherein you get large sums of money in the early spring after a few years of employment, yet, some people were getting screwed out of them through things in 'fine print' either way, if I was broke and had no money, I wouldn't hesitate to walk into wal mart and grab a key and bail.

tinnguyen123 is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just wondering.. even if we steal Blizzard cd-keys.. cou'dnt the next person who buy the cd-key just return it and say it doesn't work??? and they just get another copy..??????

Redulll is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NumbZone View Post
    Was just wondering what the d3scene community thought of what they get themselves into. Would one be more evil for stealing cd keys and hurting it for the next person to actually purchase the game, OR, paying for hacks that hurt people that are playing the game the way it was meant to be played!

My personal opinion is that CD key ripping is worse, it's stealing and stopping people from playing the game. (You could be denying someone who wants to play legit or maybe another fellow hacker?...)

Just something to think about!
    Why dont you ask Roflicer he is a big time KLEPTO! Im sure he could shed a lot light on this subject for you.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Redulll For This Useful Post:

Chronuswing is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tinnguyen123 View Post
    I'm just wondering.. even if we steal Blizzard cd-keys.. couldn't the next person who buy the cd-key just return it and say it doesn't work??? and they just get another copy..??????
    I've honestly been thinking about this, and I think if they were to actually take it back they might be able to get in store credit, but my wal mart has a rule against returning games that have been opened, so unless they opened it perfectly, i doubt it, but also, if you stole a cd key out, you probably weren't EASY on the box, so I'd imagine any/most consumers would realize the package was fucked with, as do the wal mart employees when they do inventory

Roflicer is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One thing that happens a lot is jumping to conclusions or basing opinions off misinformation. The only person the keys hurt is blizzard as long as Walmart claims the key as stolen. If they don't then it hurts Walmart, the company notorious for fucking over employees and damn near monopolistic control over retail in cities. However these are just justifications for nefarious activities. It depends on your mind set, values, ethics and other core values. I personally don't give a fuck because I know large retailers already mark a certain percent of shrink and I'm just filling the void. To me the idea of paying for a video game is a laughable joke. Id spend 60 on jeggings before I payed for a cd key that I know is going to get banned. Now games I plan on really playing I buy, but seems like a waste to pay for something that is only temp. Both activities hurt someone. Cd keys hurt retailer hacking hurts all the players playing legit. Pick your poison and CHUG that shit

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 025 PM ----------

Most companies you can return open games, however it has to be an Exchange for the exact same game. Im sure there are exceptions but this does apply to best buy and Walmart. I myself have used this return policy at Walmart. I don't see how ripping off a cd key could hurt a single player. And as far as "keeping them from playing the game" Lolwut? Yeah Walmart totally doesn't carry dozens at a time, ohwait they totally do

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Roflicer For This Useful Post:

Idbjorn is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like I said before. Is walmart really any better than the people who steal from them? They're a monopoly, and by far the worst one. There in two of the largest and wealthiest countries and blow anything else out of the water when it comes to the average shopper picking a place to go. Why do these threads keep showing up? Me, Qxc, and Roflicer see it from a different point of view. If you think we're trash then you must live in a pretty nice place or don't go outside much. Minimum wage sucks, and when you pay for just about everything yourself then you realize what a dollar is really worth.

As Rofl said, when a new game is released they purposely keep it off shelves to increase the reserve count, because hype = profit. Plus, my local meijer has some of the same PC games sitting on their shelves for ages. I don't think too many people are getting hurt they can't buy a six year old MMORPG.

I'll shed a little more light on the subject. Paying for hacks is by fart worse, it ruins free hacks and people helping each other out and somewhat having fun in the process. It encourages people to learn code, and really study the game instead of just bullshit about their diamond league profile.
    Last edited by Idbjorn; 04-25-2011 at 08:51 PM.

ruffendz is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronuswing View Post
    I've honestly been thinking about this, and I think if they were to actually take it back they might be able to get in store credit, but my wal mart has a rule against returning games that have been opened, so unless they opened it perfectly, i doubt it, but also, if you stole a cd key out, you probably weren't EASY on the box, so I'd imagine any/most consumers would realize the package was fucked with, as do the wal mart employees when they do inventory
    They won't take it back and give you any credit. They can't. No store can. The best any store can do is return it and trade it out for the same game but they will open the box for you. I know this is the case for video games - I'm not sure how they handle games with cd keys. I could see people say the disc is scratched, key in use etc and keep trading them out at different stores for multiple sets. Wal mart allows up to 3 trade outs without reciept per year, so that would be 4 new cd keys a year.

Specs is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, stealing obviously.
    Stealing could cost a lot more then a private hack.

ruffendz is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a fine line between stealing a cd key (isn't actually damaging/stealing a product) and stealing the product. Taking a picture of something and not taking the product is nothing that they could bust you on. As long as you don't peel off the cd key, or take the disc totally then you are fine. A cop would laugh if they got called because you opened the box at looked at the product before deciding if you want to purchase it or not.

Roflicer is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    Hmm, stealing obviously.
    Stealing could cost a lot more then a private hack.
    Tell that to blizzard while they spend 1.8million a year in anti hack development and prevention

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast