Dota 2 Dedicated Server

This is a discussion on Dota 2 Dedicated Server within the DotA 2 Tools board part of the DotA 2 category; 04/07/15 - Updated server files. - launcher updated to v2.2, which addresses a problem in which the server would timeout ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheBornQuitter is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dota 2 Dedicated Server

04/07/15 - Updated server files.
    - launcher updated to v2.2, which addresses a problem in which the server would timeout because it wasnt hibernating

DOWNLOAD THE SERVER HERE

How to make the dedicated server (old method):

1. Go to your Dota 2 folder (located at Steam\steamapps\common). Copy and paste it somewhere else. This will serve as your server directory.

2. In your server directory, delete autoexec.cfg (located at %server dir%\dota\cfg. Alternatively, you can just delete any lines with the "bind" command in it.
    RATIONALE: any "bind" command will be auto-executed when the server starts, and will cause it to crash.
    NOTE: If autoexec.cfg does not exist then skip this step; do not edit other cfgs.

3. Download the dedicated server files below. Extract it somewhere.

4. Copy the extracted folder's contents into your server directory. Just say "yes" whenever any overwrite dialogs occur.

5. Run Server Launcher.exe inside the dedicated server files folder. On its first run, it will ask for the locations of your Server Directory (old method) and your Dota 2 directory and the dedicated server folder directory (new method). Supply them with the correct locations.

6. You can now set your preferences in the GUI. When you are done, press "Launch OLD Server".

7. On startup, the launcher will be minimized to the tray. If you want to re-configure the server, just click on tray and select "Show Main Window".

8. Happy starting the server!

The "new method" was made possible thanks to both Z.Fred and Cylindrical. This method uses only ONE DIRECTORY, which would serve as both the normal game and the server folder.

How to make the dedicated server (new method):

1. Download the updated dedicated server files. Extract it somewhere.

2. Run Server Launcher.exe inside the dedicated server files folder. On its first run, it will ask for the locations of your Dota 2 directory and the dedicated server folder directory. Supply them with the correct locations.

3. Configure the server as you wish, and then click Launch NEW Server.

4. On startup, the launcher will be minimized to the tray. If you want to re-configure the server, just click on tray and select "Show Main Window".

5. Happy starting the server!

This method is really a no-brainer.
    For a long time, since the console commands to create an offline game was discovered, I knew that players can join that game using the connect <IP> command.
    The only downside was that you needed to pause the game for the other players to connect, as it instantly skips to the DOTA_GAMERULES_HERO_SELECTION module instead of the DOTA_WAITING_FOR_PLAYERS_TO_LOAD MODULE (which annoys me a lot).

But thanks to apih95, I decided to go old-school again, tinker around with the commands and server files again.
    And made the simplest way to host a game, which waits for players to connect and load.

1. Download the server files.

2. Copy the "addons" folder in the server files, and paste it in your <GAMEDIR>\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota folder. Just press yes if any overwrite dialog box appears.

3. Open "gameinfo.txt" located in <GAMEDIR>\Steam\SteamApps\common\dota 2 beta\dota, and add these lines before Game |gameinfo_path|.
    Code:
    GameBin                |gameinfo_path|addons\metamod\bin

4. Start the launcher, set the desired values, and press "SAVE INFO". It will create a file named "host.cfg" in your dota 2 beta\dota\cfg folder.

5. Start the game.

6. To create a game, just type the following in console and press enter:
    Code:
    exec host.cfg

7. You've just created a game that waits for players to load, like the old and new methods!

ADVANTAGES:
    - removes the need for other third-party devices
    - You dont need to connect your own client to the server, as your own client is the server!

CONNECTING...

From the same machine as your server:
    -Open Dota 2 and type this into the in-game console: connect localhost.

Over the network:
    -Open Dota 2 and type this into the in-game console: connect [your server's IP address]:27015

Joining a team:
    -when you have successfully connected, type this into the in-game console:
    jointeam good = join Radiant
    jointeam bad = join Dire
    jointeam spec = join as spectator

NOTES: you can use the Steam serverbrowser for easier connecting:

FAQs:

I can't join my own server
    -Is your server actually running? Make sure the console window for your server is open.
    -It might be that there has been a Dota 2 update, and you have updated your client but not your server. A lot of the time, clients will be able to join outdated servers, but there is a chance that they may not. Try updating your server files.
    -Try setting the IP address in the GUI to "localhost" (without the quotes).

Others can't join my server
    -Is your server actually running? Make sure the console window for your server is open.
    -If you want to make your server joinable over the network, you need to forward your chosen port. Make sure that nothing (firewalls, etc) is blocking your server.
    -It might be that there has been a Dota 2 update, and you have updated your client but not your server. A lot of the time, clients will be able to join outdated servers, but there is a chance that they may not. Try updating your server files.

My server has stopped working after I updated the game
    -It may be that some files got ovewritten when you copied across your newer Dota files.
    -Double check that gameinfo.txt in your Server directory (located at %Server dir%\dota) is set correctly (check this against the fresh download).
    -Double check that the file, %server dir%\dota\cfg\autoexec.cfg, and any other config files do not contain bind. bind will crash your server.
    -On the other hand, it might be that the update broke the server files. You might have to wait for it to be fixed and then install the latest update. This is unlikely, but ask me to find out if this is the case.

My server was working but now crashes
    -Make sure that you haven't changed anything that may cause it to crash. Check your dedicated server files in your Server directory against the fresh download.
    -On the other hand, it might be that an update broke the server files. You might have to wait for it to be fixed and then install the latest update. This is unlikely, but ask me to find out if this is the case.

scrds.exe shows a message saying "GC wants <number>, we are <number>!"
    - It means that your dedicated server (the game, specifically) is not updated to the latest version. Update the game to the latest patch.
    EDIT: Actually, there is no problem when the server displays this message; it's just a reminder for you to update the game files.

I have the 6v5 players error, please help!
    - Make sure that Steam is not running when you run the dedicated server.
    - Or, make sure that Steam does not use the same Steam account when Steam is running (this causes authentication errors)

I have the "No Steam logon" problem, please help!
    - Go online once in a while. IIRC, Steam checks for logins every now and then to make sure that its games are fully updated. If you havent logged online for a very long time, make sure you do so.

TIPS:
    NOTE: You can also type commands/CVARS directly from srcds.exe

How to automate connecting/joining sides/disconnecting:
    - in your NORMAL GAME DIRECTORY's autoexec.cfg, put these lines like in the picture below. That way, when you press the said buttons (of course you can change the buttons to any way you like), you automatically do the said actions.

- you can also paste the bind commands in the pic to your config.cfg, in case autoexec.cfg doesnt work

NEW: How to make Captain's Mode work
    - Wait until all players have connected to the game.
    - The FIRST FOUR PLAYERS should join the Radiant side.
    - Then, OTHER FOUR PLAYERS should join the Dire side.
    - Then, one player should join the Radiant to complete the group.
    - Then, the last player joins the Dire.
    - ???
    - PROFIT!

NEW: How to enable SourceTV on your server
    - Since the latest server files update on this thread (02/03/2014), SourceTV is now auto-enabled when you start the server, and other people can join the SourceTV server.
    HOW:
    - Start the server.
    - Let other people join by typing into console: connect [server IP]:27020
    - ???
    - PROFIT!

LAUNCHERS:
    Different submitted launchers:

1. by Z.Fred
    - lightweight, easy to use .bat file:
    - updated style with added "Quick Mode"
    Z.Fred's Launcher

2. by Cylindrical
    - has a GUI
    - written in C++ (I think); requires NET.Framework 2.0 and above to be used:
    note: Password for the file is valvedisband
    Cylindrical's Launcher

3. by ZZkirk
    - has a GUI
    - written in Autohotkey, allows for usage of the "old" and "new" method of hosting the server
    - UPDATE: you can now use the "new method" even if you have an autoexec.cfg in your dota folder!
    ZZkirk's Launcher

CREDITS:
    NOTE: I am not the developer of this software. All credits go to:
    - Valve, for making the Alien Swarm dedicated server (it is srcds.exe in the server files)
    - psychonic (for making d2fixups.dll)
    - M28, Tetl, ramennoodles (for helping a lot in the development of this software, for the FAQ part of this tutorial, and for helping me out on the IRC)
    - AlliedModders.net forumers (of which Im also a member) who have all helped in making metamod.source
    - Z.Fred and Cylindrical, for thinking out of the box and giving the idea of using only one directory for both the normal game and the server (you guys are geniuses!)
    - sile, for figuring out the way on how to enable Captain's Mode on the dedicated server
    - psychonic and vbearn, for figuring out SourceTV compatibility
    - DS, for adding support for Mac/Linux platforms
    - apih95, for making me go back to memory lane again
    - delik2941300, for finding workarounds and suggesting important fixes to the launcher
    Attached Files
    Last edited by TheBornQuitter; 04-11-2015 at 01:22 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheBornQuitter For This Useful Post:

Matt is offline Bott

Array
    Mentioned
    183 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Please include a virustotal of your upload

Also, your pictures did not show up.
    @kent

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Please include a virustotal of your upload

Also, your pictures did not show up.
    Will reupload the pictures + virustotal, thanks for pointing it out.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to TheBornQuitter For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated the server files in conjuction with the holiday event.

XvenDeR is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can you gain items playing in server like this?

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by XvenDeR View Post
    Can you gain items playing in server like this?
    No, because only legit Dota 2 servers can.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Updated server files.

kx221005 is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do i add AI into this mode?

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kx221005 View Post
    how do i add AI into this mode?
    type dota_bot_populate into the server console.

Whitebread is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whats the use of a dedicated server in dota 2?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast