I need some tips and advices

This is a discussion on I need some tips and advices within the DotA 2 board part of the Hot Games category; Hello, I would like to start to play to DotA 2 and become good at it, that's why I need ...

Blabla78 is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I need some tips and advices

Hello,

I would like to start to play to DotA 2 and become good at it, that's why I need some advices on how to begin correctly at the game. I never really played to DotA, LoL or HoN so basically I'm starting with nothing except the basics rules of the game.

I played Starcraft 2 since the game's release until now and it tooks me about one year to become good at the game. I also started without any knowledge of the previous Starcraft at the beginning.

So yes any tips/advices would be extremely usefull and appreciated.

Thanks.

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your first task if you really want to get good, is to play a lot. The game might seem boring at first when you are new, but it gets more enjoyable when you get better. Try to ignore players on your team who gets mad and blames you etc, it will just demotivate you.

As for the game itself, you should start out by mainly playing one hero. Figure out how his abilities work and when to use them. Get good with one hero instead of trying out 30 different heroes without really grasping the concept of any of them. Some good heroes to start out with are Lich and Lion, both are pretty straight forward and can deal with a few deaths early on since they don't require that many items. They are also both pretty fun to play.
    Look up guides on Official DotA Website (they are made for DotA but since everything is basically the same, they work out just fine) and don't be afraid to ask your team for guidance on item builds etc, there are some nice people in between the trolls.

Another important tip is to simply use common sense. If you experience that a hero is killing you very easily, don't just run up to him continuously (should be obvious but I've seen people do something like this).
    Try not to die; the enemies will get big, your team will get mad and you will get bored.

Watch your minimap and keep an eye out for missing heroes, that is heroes who are not currently in their lane. They might be heading towards you, so stay passive until they show up on the minimap again. Be patient with this. Besides that, try to call missing when a hero leaves your lane to alert your team mates that they might be in danger.

Lastly, do not auto attack the creeps. It pushes the lane away from your tower and makes you more vulnerable to ganks. You do not get anything from hitting creeps; you only get something if you get the last hit on a creep.

Those are some general starting tips that should help you get started. I strongly suggest that you don't quit after a few games because it seems hard, because any game in this genre gets 500% more enjoyable when you are the guy who gets 10 kills instead of the guy who dies 10 times.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I've played HoN for 2 years and know basically everything that is to know in this genre.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mads For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much, this was extremely good to read and you seems to know alot.

Is there any tips on how to have the last hit, or is it just a question of timing? I saw many pro players using something like an animation trick or something. It's hard to explain but basically they manage to get their hero attacking faster. I mainly saw that on EG.DeMoN's stream and he was doing this with every heros that he was playing.

I tried to play Linch a few games and basically I got owned because the ennemies ALWAYS come together to kill me. So I can't do anything because of stuns of stuff like that...

Also, what do you think about Windrunner?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Blabla78 For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't play Windrunner a lot but she has a nice escape mechanism that will help her survive in many cases. Her 3 other abilities can be slightly hard to master though.

You can cancel your animations by clicking the "h" button (hold position) or the "s" button (stop) right before your spell / hit actually launches. That way you can spam click and spam hold so your animation is always in motion, and just stop cancelling it when the creep is about to die. I don't really do this much, I find it makes me lose focus and that I don't benefit enough from it. But other than that, it is pretty much all about timing. Another reason why playing one hero is a good idea, you start to get a feel for the animations and learn how long it takes from your projectile to launch until it hits. If you are playing a melee hero, buy a Quelling Blade (I think is the name, the item that gives +32% damage vs creeps for melee heroes) which will allow you to get last hits a lot easier if playing a melee hero.

If you are dying too much, try to stick with some team members. If you are playing Lich, your job is pretty much to stay near your team's important heroes and make sure they don't die by throwing out your nuke and ultimate if they get ganked. Only reason you should ever be moving alone as Lich is if you are ganking a different lane early on.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mads For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As always thanks for your answers.
    A have another question: how to farm correctly with a melee hero? Most of the time it's insanely hard because of harassment from the others heroes.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's really about timing your movement. You want to stay out of their range and only move in to land one final hit on a creep and then back out of their range immediately. That way they wont get many hits off on you. Another tactic is to right click the enemy heroes for a brief second, as this will draw the attention of the creeps to you and they will follow you for a little while, leaving them closer to the tower and closer to you. Just right click an enemy and immediately back off and you should see the creeps moving closer to you. This technique takes a lot of practice but can be very useful.

Other than that, a Stout Shield or a Poor Mans Shield if you're an agility hero helps greatly against ranged harassing. You generally also want to have a ranged hero with you on your lane if you are playing melee, so they should be able to harass back some.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Mads For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the he past 3 days I tried to play Lifestealer and to follow your advices, I think I did way better than before with the others heroes (even if I played against newbies like me).
    I farm alot in the jungle and try to keep an eye on the lanes.

Basically I start with:
    • Tangos x3
    • Stout Shield
    • Quelling Blade
    After that I go for:
    • Hand of Midas
    • Boot of Speed
    • Armlet
    • Power Threads (I let its bonus attribute on Strenght)
    So basically when I have these items (most of the time around the 20 minutes mark) it allows me to gank very efficiently with my team.

I have now a few questions:
    1. In late game, I have a lack of physical damage. Usually I go for Daedalus but I'm not sure if it's the right choice. Yesterday I was watching a game, the guy who was playing Lifestealer bought an iteam called "Divine Rapier" which gives +250 damage! The problem is that when you die you drop the item. So my question is: what would be your advice about that lack of damage in late game? Is Daedalus a good choice?
    2. Which hero does well with Lifestealer? I played a game with a descent Crystal Maiden, she allowed me ALOT of kills. I also played a game with Lina but in this game I had like 5 kills and 15 assists because of her.
    3. Do you have any advice about Lifestealer or the build that I do?
    Last edited by Blabla78; 01-19-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't really play Lifestealer much so I'm not sure if his lifesteal counts as an orb effect. If it doesn't, you should go for Desolator. Other than that I'm not sure why you'd have a problem with physical damage, since Armlet gives a ton of boosts when turned on and your lifesteal also does a lot of damage, but if you really need it, an MKB isn't too bad I guess. Rapier is a very risky item that you should only get if a: you are so far behind that it's your only choice, b: you are winning massively and it doesn't really matter, or c: you have an Aegis of the Immortal on you. The item is just too risky in most cases and that is why it isn't bought often. Ranged support heroes work well with Naix since he is a carry, so Crystal Maiden, Lich, Lion etc. all does well. You require farm, they don't.

Dima is offline La La Land

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1) hands of midas
    2) pt
    3) armlet
    4) dagger
    5) desolator / basher
    6) assault cuirass