2012 movie

This is a discussion on 2012 movie within the Entertainment board part of the General category; 2012 For decades, Cecil B. DeMille was Hollywood’s go-to megalomaniac when it came to big, simplistic, spectacular devastation, with side-orders ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    DaZ
    DaZ is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile 2012 movie

For decades, Cecil B. DeMille was Hollywood’s go-to megalomaniac when it came to big, simplistic, spectacular devastation, with side-orders of religion and/or patriotism. In the 1970s, Irwin Allen became Master of Disaster, and ships sank, buildings burned, volcanoes blew, cities fell and killer bees swarmed. Now, Roland Emmerich presides over the carnival of destruction, commanding huge budgets, wilfully ignoring scientific advisors to keep the plot boiling (for future reference, sudden continental drift probably will affect your cell-phone reception — but not in this film) and cracking a whip over slave-like hordes of computer-programmers piling up the pixels which render the unbelievable photo-realistic.

DeMille’s specialty was historical/religious epic and Allen perfected the ‘disaster movie’, but a necessary escalation means Emmerich has to resort to science fiction to slake audiences’ need for destruction on a super-colossal scale. Godzilla, in which a monster only attacks New York, is one of his smaller films. Having written off the beginnings of human history in 10,000 BC, Emmerich now turns to the immediate and terrifying future and tries to outdo the genocidal upheavals he wrought through alien invasion in Independence Day and global warming in The Day After Tomorrow.

The disaster cycle of the ‘70s had to escalate too — after an ocean liner and a skyscraper had been trashed in CinemaScope, the stakes had to be upped to an entire city in Earthquake and a continent or so in Meteor.
    2012 has a less easy-to-sell (and, therefore, harder to worry about) concept than earlier moviemageddons — impending doom here isn’t just one big thing, but a matter of solar flares, planetary alignments, earthquakes and big waves, with Biblical overtones of the Flood.

What it boils down to is all the disasters from all the other disaster movies happening in one long film. Emmerich tosses off towering infernos by the dozen in single shots, throws Poseidon-like ocean liners (and aircraft carriers) into maelstroms like toys in a bathtub, has entire cities levelled by quakes or swept away by tidal waves (LA, Vegas and DC get it worst, this time), transforms a scenic national park into a volcano, and swamps the Himalayas with a tsunami which makes Peter Weir’s Last Wave seem like a ripple on a duck pond.

As expected, the script is a load of old cods, delivered in a hurry by the wildly overqualified likes of John Cusack (everyman Dad), Amanda Peet (underwritten ex-wife), Chiwetel Ejiofor (scientist with integrity), Danny Glover (humane Prez), Thandie Newton (cute First Daughter), Oliver Platt (weasely politico), Woody Harrelson (ranting doomsayer) and George Segal (twinkly old-timer). We get glutinous sentiment, weirdly appropriate low comedy, non-denominational religious mutterings (though the Sistine Chapel cracks and the Vatican collapses) and doses of dignified self-sacrifice, my-kids-must-live heroism and cutthroat politicking from characters competing to secure first-class passage on the Ark. Yes, there’s a cute yapping dog whose survival seems more important than the entire population of India.

Many times, cars and planes escape from disasters that seem to chase them off-screen as whole cities fall down or blow up. And the finale brings on an impressive Ark, and plays ridiculous suspense games as the fate of humanity depends on John Cusack holding his breath underwater and ungumming the grinding-works of huge doors.

But, my question is is this the END?
    DAZ:loved3:
    NFS made me go MAD

Kaskame is offline d(-_-)b

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No! Its just a new begin
    I readed a lot of articles about that...some says its the end of the world, some says that is a new beginning like that movie, some says it will be a Extraterrestial Invasion, others says its a lie..

Well I believe that some catastophre will be hapenning but not end of the world neither anything like that! Maybe the Coastal Areas are going to hell I dunno...
    Woot

DaZ
    DaZ is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Kaskame View Post
    No! Its just a new begin
    I readed a lot of articles about that...some says its the end of the world, some says that is a new beginning like that movie, some says it will be a Extraterrestial Invasion, others says its a lie..

Well I believe that some catastophre will be hapenning but not end of the world neither anything like that! Maybe the Coastal Areas are going to hell I dunno...
    Hey, may be a main catastrophe is nearing or even may not :facepalm:. People say either ways, but there are 8 valid reasons, more precisely i can say valuable note, which makes the world to meet the END.

NOTHING STARTS NEW UNTIL THE PAST IS CLEARED OFF.
    NFS made me go MAD

35yeros is offline Im still on a Boat.
    Array
    N38°52'14" W77°03'19" its funny because it might be true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    fly a plane between two buildings that were falling over? jump out of a plane thats flying; in a car? fuck that i quit.

i now have the opinion that any movie that Nicholas cage is in is crap. its not even worth watching at the dollar theater, let alone the bandwidth it would take to pirate it.
    Last edited by 35yeros; 03-02-2010 at 06:21 AM.
    When in doubt, empty the magazine, They dont pay you to bring home bullets

DaZ
    DaZ is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by 35yeros View Post
    fly a plane between two buildings that were falling over? jump out of a plane thats flying in a car? fuck that i quit.

i know have the opinion that any movie that Nicholas cage is in is crap. its not even worth watching at the dollar theater, let alone the bandwidth it would take to pirate it.
    Oh Christ, that was unethical to say so. I say it's worth watching. But people may recognize later.

Its as simple as this.
    NFS made me go MAD

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I liked the movie, It is definitely worth a watch.Like everyone even I had read all those hoax news about world coming to an end by 2012.That really made me interested about the movie.

DaZ
    DaZ is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by razathru View Post
    I liked the movie, It is definitely worth a watch.Like everyone even I had read all those hoax news about world coming to an end by 2012.That really made me interested about the movie.
    Hi there,

Yep its one of the best movies. Nice thought based on predictions. Yeah i too enjoyed watching.

Enjoy your stay with us, newbie .
    NFS made me go MAD

InkHorn is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to watch this movie so bad. I think this is buy-worthy.

edikkkk is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My personal thought is that its a let down and 2012 is a myth

eLiteGameR is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I enjoyed this movies a lot, graphics, and the whole story is just crazy.
    There is more proof out there of this actually happening against proof of this not happening.
    -Thx Sifex

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast