$1 Billion Fine for LimeWire, $75 Million for BP's Oil Spill — Huh?

This is a discussion on $1 Billion Fine for LimeWire, $75 Million for BP's Oil Spill — Huh? within the Entertainment board part of the General category; I think we can all agree that BP's 'missteps' were just a wee bit bigger than LimeWire's. So, why is ...

Marik is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

$1 Billion Fine for LimeWire, $75 Million for BP's Oil Spill — Huh?

I think we can all agree that BP's 'missteps' were just a wee bit bigger than LimeWire's. So, why is LimeWire the one getting knocked around?

If the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) gets its way, the file-sharing company LimeWire will get blasted out of existence with a billion dollar fine. Meanwhile, British Petroleum, with its oil spill, that's on its way to the ecology disaster level of a Chernobyl, is liable for up to $75-million under the Oil Pollution Act of 1990. What's wrong with this picture?

That's a best case estimate. The RIAA actually thinks LimeWire owes them $1.5 trillion.. They came up with that number on a fine of $750 dollars per copyright infringement multiplied by 200 million estimated occurrences of copyright infringement. Aren't you sorry now that you didn't just buy Barnes & Barnes' Fish Heads from the iTunes Store for 99 cents?

Of course, BP may yet end up getting sued to death as well, but I think we can all agree that BP's 'mis-steps' were just a wee bit bigger than LimeWire's enabling users to share music files. So, why is LimeWire the one getting knocked about?

The court system is a train-wreck. But, anyone who follows the madness that is the U.S. patent system in the courts already knows that. All we can do is shake our heads in disgust.

LimeWire's executives are hoping for some kind of deal that will let them survive. I can't see that happening. The RIAA has asked for a permanent injunction on LimeWire's services. Let's face it, the RIAA has LimeWire where it wants them: On the way to bankruptcy court.

There's no question that LimeWire was used to trade music tracks and other proprietary files. Yes, that's not good. I'd feel a lot better about this though if whatever money the RIAA squeezes out of the LimeWire stone went to musicians and other content creators. It won't. It will go to the corporations that have totally failed to realize that the digital revolution was wrecking their old physical media-CD, DVD, and tape-based business.

The RIAA companies could have figured this out. Instead, like buggy whip vendors trying to outlaw horseless carriages, they keep suing both companies, like Napster and individuals like Joel Tenenbaum, who was hit by a $675,000 fine in a RIAA lawsuit for distributing thirty (yes, 30) songs over a peer-to-peer network.

Read More: PCworld

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Marik For This Useful Post:

Aellya is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, you know, artists like Britney need all the protection they can get.

fogest is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow this is really pathetic do they just enjoy taking away the things that everyone enjoy?

I have a gut feeling Limewire will make it out though

Marik is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah...I think they can only get "it" up when they try to make us unhappy....but they'll never learn, nobody can stop us pirates...I also hope LWire survives this.

And a bliiion dollars....c'mon, it's like they're starving or something...they've got trillions and trillions....I have no idea why they must pick on pirates....

not everybody has the money to legally purchase everything.....something they keep forgetting apparently.

thunder915 is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i wonder if people thing stealling an untouchable object is a bigger crime then destroying businesses, beaches, and killing animals.

eLiteGameR is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sooooo, uninstallation of limewire is in order.
    -Thx Sifex