Travelers will now have ipods/laptops searched by customs [In AUS/USA]

This is a discussion on Travelers will now have ipods/laptops searched by customs [In AUS/USA] within the General Chat board part of the General category; Yes but in the article it said something about the music industry expecting the government to step in...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tresspass is offline Bleh.
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes but in the article it said something about the music industry expecting the government to step in

Volund is offline Banned

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1st- Is this only at customs, or at regular, domestic flights??
    2nd- As 35 said, it will take way to long to do any type of reliable search on these machines.
    3rd- how are they going to know if the music that I have stuck on my Ipod is illegally obtained?
    4th- I'm 90% sure this is unconstitutional.

Diesel is offline noob extraordinaire

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To #3, if this is true and everything, it may just be for "jailbroken" or hacked iPods/iPhones. Also, if you have software like limewire on your computer, then they can just look there and see that you stole music.

to 4... It is.
    Global Moderator, 2009-2010

KaMiKaZe is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Volund View Post
    1st- Is this only at customs, or at regular, domestic flights??
    2nd- As 35 said, it will take way to long to do any type of reliable search on these machines.
    3rd- how are they going to know if the music that I have stuck on my Ipod is illegally obtained?
    4th- I'm 90% sure this is unconstitutional.
    Well 4th, no it's not unconstitutional it's an implied consent type of thing we're choosing to travel on their airlines and aren't being forced to go through airport security we choose to. WE want to use their services meaning that we have to comply to their conditions which is why they can search us in the first place etc and if we refuse they just refuse to service us. This would only be "unconstitutional" if we were being forced to have our shit searched on the roads or something. Guys this does not have to be fully about music they could be looking for pirated software that matters and or just illegal files etc.
    2 and 3 um learn to read before posting .
    They also use some forensic software that is capable of finding files purely based on their file structure and headers (even stuff that has been deleted).
    1) Idk

Diesel is offline noob extraordinaire

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They also use some forensic software that is capable of finding files purely based on their file structure and headers (even stuff that has been deleted).

I am officially never taking my ipod or laptop on a trip, ever again....
    Global Moderator, 2009-2010

35yeros is offline Im still on a Boat.
    Array
    N38°52'14" W77°03'19" its funny because it might be true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    I am officially never taking my ipod or laptop on a trip, ever again....
    when i leave in a week i am just going to see if i can slow my hdd rpm's to like 40, so it will take hours to search, and then ill lower my ram and virtual ram to the lowest possible setting, (32mb, slow as shit :cheesy: )

also, i think this is for international flights only.

other methods are:

• removing your usb and cd drives, so they cant use there search software on your laptop, This would be hard to do, but worth it if you've got tons of counter-band

• load another operation system on your pc, and set it up so that the next time the pc turns on it automatically uses the other operating system. this may defeat there software that searches, i am not sure.
    • remove your batterys and hide them in the side panels of your carry on, this look suspicious, but hell, they wont be able to search with out any system power.
    When in doubt, empty the magazine, They dont pay you to bring home bullets

Tresspass is offline Bleh.
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Limewire isn't illegal P2P isn't illegal so you cannot get in trouble for that. As long as you keep your downloads out of the stupid limewire folder etc. its really impossible to trace that it is pirated to my knowledge. Its the same if you were to rip your music from a CD you own which is completely legal. So as I think this really only pertains to looking for terrorism related things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12