Math

This is a discussion on Math within the General Chat board part of the General category; a man comes up with two numbers between 1 and 99 (meaning not 1 or 99 but from 2 to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bat
    Bat is offline Premium Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Math

a man comes up with two numbers between 1 and 99 (meaning not 1 or 99 but from 2 to 98 ). The sum of these two numbers is under 99. He tells one person the sum of these numbers and another person the product of these numbers. The person with the product comes up to the person with the sum and says "i don't know the two numbers". The person with the sum replies with "i know that you don't know the two numbers". Immediately, the man with the product says "now i know the two numbers" and the man with the sum says "now i know the two numbers too". What are the two numbers? There is no word play involved.. it is a real problem with a real answer. Feel free to find the answer any way possible.

Gieb answer;p

Reinn is offline Multi-qouter

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    5 & 46
    // Reinn

oMBra is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why 5 & 46??
    plz tell my the aswer or I wont sleep tonight!!

Bat
    Bat is offline Premium Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oMBra View Post
    why 5 & 46??
    plz tell my the aswer or I wont sleep tonight!!
    Owell, drunk much coffee?

unrl is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol, how did you work that out
    Wewt.

hendricius is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would love to know the way of solving it too :-).
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

"D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okey, I just guessed those numbers, and I think 50% of this info, is almost useless.. Stone'D please PM me the answer (Wont post here)
    // Reinn

ichsuger is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Step 1) We know it is not a pair of primes, nr2. dude would know them immediately from the product.
    So eliminate all those from the possibilities, but keep them in a new list of "Prime Pairs" for future reference.

Step 2) We know it is not a pair whose sum could also come from a pair of primes, or nr.1 dude would not be sure that nr.2 dude doesn't know. So check the list of Prime Pairs and get a listing of all the sums. Now eliminate any pairs in the Possibilities that have a sum in that list. So here for example, you lose 3,4 because it has the same sum as the prime pair 2,5.

Step 3) Now, we know that with this information and knowing the product, dude nr.2 knows the answer, so therefore the product must only have one pair of possible multiplicants whereby their sum can not be expressed as the sum of a pair of primes. So find the list of products that were eliminated in Step 2. Now find all the remaining Possibilities that share one of those same products and only have one pair left that makes that product. These are the only products dude nr.2 could have.

Step 4) If there is more than one possibility left, your last step is to go through all the Possibilities eliminated in Step 3, and check their sums. Now find all the remaining Possibilities that share one of those same sums and only have one pair left that makes that sum. These are the only sums Dude nr.1 could have.

Hopefully at this point you are left with only 1 possible pair, and that is your solution. (4 & 13)

Think i messed up in Dude 1 and 2

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ichsuger View Post
    Step 1) We know it is not a pair of primes, nr2. dude would know them immediately from the product.
    So eliminate all those from the possibilities, but keep them in a new list of "Prime Pairs" for future reference.

Step 2) We know it is not a pair whose sum could also come from a pair of primes, or nr.1 dude would not be sure that nr.2 dude doesn't know. So check the list of Prime Pairs and get a listing of all the sums. Now eliminate any pairs in the Possibilities that have a sum in that list. So here for example, you lose 3,4 because it has the same sum as the prime pair 2,5.

Step 3) Now, we know that with this information and knowing the product, dude nr.2 knows the answer, so therefore the product must only have one pair of possible multiplicants whereby their sum can not be expressed as the sum of a pair of primes. So find the list of products that were eliminated in Step 2. Now find all the remaining Possibilities that share one of those same products and only have one pair left that makes that product. These are the only products dude nr.2 could have.

Step 4) If there is more than one possibility left, your last step is to go through all the Possibilities eliminated in Step 3, and check their sums. Now find all the remaining Possibilities that share one of those same sums and only have one pair left that makes that sum. These are the only sums Dude nr.1 could have.

Hopefully at this point you are left with only 1 possible pair, and that is your solution. (4 & 13)

Think i messed up in Dude 1 and 2
    I am usually good in math, but I don't understand you completely... It is fine, and Gj with finding the numbers
    // Reinn

ichsuger is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wha ? oh ! , forgot im so bad at math it hurts, but im good at finding stuff on the internet !

Quote Originally Posted by WinneR View Post
    I am usually good in math, but I don't understand you completely... It is fine, and Gj with finding the numbers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast