League of Legends - free standalone dota clone (plus more)

This is a discussion on League of Legends - free standalone dota clone (plus more) within the General Chat board part of the General category; I highly recommend this game. It has great teamplay and MMO Aspects. You can choose from a variety of champions ...

negativeone is offline Guru
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

League of Legends - free standalone dota clone (plus more)

I highly recommend this game. It has great teamplay and MMO Aspects.
    You can choose from a variety of champions and ramp up XP to earn persistent bonuses to your account. Participate in great teamplay battles with your friends to destroy the opposition.

(Yes, it's a referrer link. I put a lot of time into making this post so please follow my link. Thanks )

check out the website for more info. I was really impressed with this game, it's a candidate for Game of the Year and it's completely free, though you do have an option to pay to unlock some stuff faster, if that's your cup of tea. But I've found it to be a completely fulfilling experience without paying a dime. The game has a great community and will suck you in.

BTW- Don't be worried because it's free, the quality of the game is amazing.

Gameplay: Okay currently there are 2 maps available. There are promises for more game-types available, but ... yeah there's only 1 game type available. The gameplay is pretty simple, Each side has their own Nexus on opposite sides of the map, the objective is to * drum roll please* destroy the other team's nexus. In the most common played map ( and the only one you can play in non-practice games ) there are 3 lanes you can take to get to the nexus, with 3 enemy turrets along the way. You can obviously guess the turrets hinder your progress, and hit hella hard. Destroying these turrets grant you gold, an increasing amount depending on how deep into the lane you are. In-between the lanes ( called the Jungle ). There are monsters at designated locations ( all of which are marked on your minimap, though if an enemy kills the monsters there the indicator doesn't disappear on your map unlike if killed by you or a teammate ). Killing a normal group gives standard gold/xp. There are 4 significant monsters though. A Golem, Lizard, Dragon, and Baron Nashor. Of course these guys are tougher than the regular monsters, though the provide buffs, or in the dragons case over 100g for each person on the team. I'll stop boring with the details of the basics since you can always read up on the webpage now that I think about it. Just felt liek it would be something worth pointing out for people that have never played a DOTA-esque type game ( like I was ).

Champions: Every week, Riot makes a handful of champions available for free. There are no restrictions on who can be selected to be free so even the teir 3 champions will at one point be available for free. Also when new champions are released, I've played for about a month now, and I've seen two champions released ( Nidalee and just recently Poppy ), they are usually free for the first week. Normally at the end of the game you are awarded IP ( Influence Points ), just consider it one of the two types of currency ( the other being riot points which you have to pay for ), and you can buy champions with that. In terms of balance. In my opinion I do feel that there are some imbalances *cough* Twitch *cough*, but I guess that's to be expected with having so many champions in a game.

Maintenance: Oh how I hate thee. Maintenance is "scheduled" once a week. You see what I did there? Every week since I've been playing with the exception of yesterday, there has been extended maintenance cause of some bug that they found. Even though I said yesterday went through fine, yes we got to play, but it was taken down 3am the next day (today) due to a matchmaking bug that cause lower level summoners to play against higher level summoners in unfair advantages so it was taken down for 3 hours, and comes back up in 15m hence my boredom I guess. I think this is my biggest gripe, but I guess what can you do ;/

Summoner Abilities: In addition to the four skills/spells each character has, you can select two from a global set. These allow you to work with your teammates to create a well-balanced team, but they also allow you to customize heroes to fit your individual playing style.

Runes: You can also buy runes using IP or Riot Points, they pretty much give a small boost to whatever stat you get. LIke say +.6 % Crit Damage. Think World of Warcraft's Jewelcrafting Gems.

Masteries: Every time you level, you get a mastery point. You can spend mastery points on masteries (small passive bonuses) in three trees: offensive, defensive, and utility (general). Masteries include things like -1% ability cooldown, and other small bonuses. I thought they would make the game unfair for low level players, but they really don't. It just helps you customize your hero a bit.

The Community: This game has a great following and a wonderful community. There is a huge focus on teamplay, so people start to group up and form teams. Right now it's in pre-season, but when the season starts you will be able to make official teams and clans. People play while talking on vent (there's a free official vent server for the game), and they are generally very nice.

Screenshots:

More: New League of Legends screenshots are chilly

2. The Following User Says Thank You to negativeone For This Useful Post:

lord-zach is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is a link for those that don't want to use his referral link
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com/signup/verify

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure people could figure it out without your help. But I don't see why it should be a problem. Not everyone has a compulsive urge to screw someone else. Besides, like I said, a lot of effort went into sharing that, and it's not like it detracts from your experience to just click a simple link and make me happy too

X-räi is offline ɯnıɯǝɹd
    Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by negativeone View Post
    I'm sure people could figure it out without your help. But I don't see why it should be a problem. Not everyone has a compulsive urge to screw someone else. Besides, like I said, a lot of effort went into sharing that, and it's not like it detracts from your experience to just click a simple link and make me happy too
    Of course its not unhealthy clicking referral-links, and i dont think lord-zach wanted to screw you, but there is a kinda rule which says, that you have to provide both links. (at least you marked the ref-link, which is good!)
    and its better to say: click here if you want to do me a favor
    instead of: please please click this link please or i am going to be sooo sad.
    (you didnt do that, thats just a general note for everybody, not to advertise too aggressive..)

back to topic: I am not going to flame LoL, but I prefer HoN/ Dota. your presentation is quite good though. for your effort basically...

I guess you are getting some points for refs? I wish you good luck with that,
    but I dont like the general "pay to get sth" system.
    I mean, yes the game is free, and paying does not give you an uber-advantage, but gives advantages nevertheless...
    And I could list some other things which in dont like about LoL, if you want

^using CHROME now
    Banned users: 0 (Counting since: 04.06.2008)

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't see such a rule. In any case, I used to play HoN. The biggest difference here is the playerbase. People in LoL are just friendlier, I find.

I was also skeptical of the "paying" system, but you really don't have to pay anything to get the full enjoyment out of the game. Even if you pay, you still have to wait until your account is level 20 to use all the runes, and by the time you're level 30 you can affort them all anyway through the ingame points that you earn just by playing.

MnA-St34LtH is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i find LoL kinda good too, but i like hon as well - dont know, i dont rly play much anyway