Why Rapidshare is safer than p2p programs

This is a discussion on Why Rapidshare is safer than p2p programs within the General Chat board part of the General category; Being asked by many friends and family why Rapidshare is self I decided to write this little resume, summing up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hendricius is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why Rapidshare is safer than p2p programs

Being asked by many friends and family why Rapidshare is self I decided to write this little resume, summing up why Rapidshare is way safer than obsolete Peer to Peer Programs.

1: The danger lays in the nature of P2P programs

The idea is that people share files with each other all over the world. That means that every person uploads to another person. You download a byte and you start uploading that byte to other people connected to you. That's why you always see the amount of seeders and leechers for each torrent, those are the people you connect to. The problem is that you upload to other users. Uploading is like selling drugs, you are a dealer. And no, you can not fully disable your uploads despite setting it to 0. You will still act as an uploader and upload tiny amounts.

Due to the fact that you are connected to different clients many law-companies working for major labels like Sony are able to easily draw revenue out of us downloaders. It's very easy, they are connecting to a torrent and immediately see IP-Addresses of every person they are connected to. What they do is just send a quick mail to the Internet Service Provider and then wait for the answer, telling them which user at that specific time owned the IP-Address. They have the address and can then proceed with the actual case.

On Rapidshare it's different, people upload their files onto Rapidshare's servers. You then download from Rapidshare via a link. You do not upload at all. In this case you act as consumer, not a dealer.

2: Being caught is cheaper on Rapidshare
    As I said before, on Rapidshare you only act as a consumer not as a dealer. Scanning the internet I did not find anybody saying that he was caught downloading illegal files from rapidshare 1 and 2). Rapidshare solely hands out data from people uploading the illegal files onto their servers.

-Download something copyright protected in Germany will cost you around 20 €
    -Uploading something copyright protected will cost you around 1000€

Again, you do not have to fully upload the file, 1 byte is enough to act as dealer.

Personally I can recommend everyone still using torrents to immediately stop using them. It's too dangerous.
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

"D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hendricius For This Useful Post:

fogest is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are the chances high to be caught if you just use a torrent once and a while?

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marik is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    in a way this makes sense...but it will be a cold day in hell or the end of humanity, before I would consider rapidshare over torrents....the fact that as a free user, you're f****d with all those waiting times and the fact that you need to purchase (wtf?....we're pirates) says it all.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Marik For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course, for Rapidshare you will need to buy a premium account to enjoy downloading. With a good connection however and a Download manager you can download with full speed. You will also want to try out jDownloader, that tool allows you to break captcha codes and more as free user.

No, you do no always get caught on Rapidshare, but the danger is significantly high. Of course, it depends on your location, if you are from Germany the chances are way higher than when you are from Thailand or something.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hendricius For This Useful Post:

YourName is offline THE ONE AND ONLY DARK KNIGHTY

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hendricius View Post
    Of course, for Rapidshare you will need to buy a premium account to enjoy downloading. With a good connection however and a Download manager you can download with full speed. You will also want to try out jDownloader, that tool allows you to break captcha codes and more as free user.

No, you do no always get caught on Rapidshare, but the danger is significantly high. Of course, it depends on your location, if you are from Germany the chances are way higher than when you are from Thailand or something.
    jDownloader is great, I'm using it for a long time now and it eases the use of Rapidshare a lot. (hai @ all free slots in use)
    I never got caught downloading anything on Rapidshare though

10. The Following User Says Thank You to YourName For This Useful Post:

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    In Germany there was a "movie" about sharing files on the Internet before some years aswell.
    It was mainly about the programm Bearshare ( I don't know if it's still exists ) and I was afraid how fast people could get ALL your main important informations =/

Thank you for sharing! Nice Found.

Volund is offline Banned

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is (almost) no risk downloading illegal files, most of the time (when you actually get caught) you will get a cease and decist letter from your ISP, saying that they were "informed by blahblabhlbhsdlfkj copyright holder, please stop downloading illegal files or we will shut off your service (yeah right). They like going after uploaders, which is why I dislike bit-torrent, as you become an "uploader" as you seed the file back to other users.

RS is my personal favorite for music/movies/other, downloads real fast on the college internet , spoof the mac address, hook up via wired LAN, and they can't figure out who is downloading.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Volund For This Useful Post:

fogest is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are using the program LimeWire to download a torrent (LimeWire Pro) do you still upload stuff when downloading?

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fogest View Post
    If you are using the program LimeWire to download a torrent (LimeWire Pro) do you still upload stuff when downloading?
    Yes, Limewire is a P2P client as well.

Yes, you get that letter on top from your ISP, the lawyers will however send you a copyright infringement to your home because it's easy money for them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast