View Poll Results: Will reject $1 Million award?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yeah..!

14 28.57%
  • Nah...!

35 71.43%

Russian math genius may reject $1-million-award

This is a discussion on Russian math genius may reject $1-million-award within the General Chat board part of the General category; Russian math genius may reject $1-million-award Would you reject a $1 Million reward? Who doesn't want to be a millionaire? ...

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Russian math genius may reject $1-million-award

Would you reject a $1 Million reward?

Who doesn't want to be a millionaire? Maybe a 43-year-old unemployed bachelor who lives with his elderly mother in Russia -- and who won $1 million for solving a problem that has stumped mathematicians for a century.

Grigory Perelman can't decide if he wants the money. "He said he would need to think about it," said James Carlson, who telephoned Perelman with the news he had won the Millennium Prize awarded by the Clay Mathematics Institute of Cambridge, Mass.

Carlson said he wasn't too surprised by the apparent lack of interest from Perelman, a reclusive genius who has a history of refusing big prizes. In 2006, Perelman made headlines when he stayed away from the ceremony in Madrid where he was supposed to get a Fields Medal, often called the Nobel prize of mathematics. He remained at home in St. Petersburg instead.

As for the new prize, Perelman told a local television station he hasn't made a decision on whether to accept the money, and that Carlson's institute will be the first to know when he does. Sergei Rukshin, Perelman's high school math teacher, said that Perelman is still unsure whether to accept it. "I know that this time he is seriously thinking about whether he will accept the prize. He still has some time," Rukshin said. The awards ceremony is in June.

Rukshin said Perelman has been without work for four years and has declined all job offers. He previously worked at the Steklov Mathematics Institute. "As far as I know, after there was so much media attention ... he did not want to be a public person and to look like an animal in the zoo," Rukshin said. He said he had encouraged Perelman to accept the prize to provide for himself and his elderly mother.

Technically, the award is a done deal. "He has been awarded the prize. That's the decision of the committee," Carlson said. "He may or may not accept the money."

Carlson declined to discuss what would happen to the $1 million if Perelman rejects it. Several groups in Russia, including the St. Petersburg Communist Party, have made public appeals to Perelman to give them the cash to fight poverty if he doesn't want it for himself.

Perelman was honored for proving the Poincare (pwan-kah-RAY) conjecture, which deals with shapes that exist in four or more dimensions, rather than the familiar three dimensions. The conjecture proposes a test for determining whether a shape in such space, no matter how distorted, is a three-dimensional sphere.

That was one of seven problems the Clay institute identified in 2000 as being worthy of a $1 million Millennium Prize. It's the first problem on the list to be solved. The Clay institute was founded in 1998 by Landon T. Clay, a Boston businessman, and his wife, Lavinia D Clay.

Tamara Yefimova, a deputy director of Perelman's high school who has known the mathematician since he was a student there, said that once he started working on the Poincare conjecture he became totally absorbed in it. She said Perelman stopped visiting his old school to help students and stopped attending meetings of the city's math society.

As a high school student, Perelman obviously was the most gifted student, Yefimova said. The only reason he didn't get a gold medal upon graduation, she said, was that the non-athletic scholar didn't get the top grade in physical education. Perelman went on to earn college and postgraduate degrees in mathematics and mechanical engineering from Leningrad State University and Steklov Mathematics Institute. "It could have been only him who would solve the Poincare conjecture," Yefimova said. Indeed, Carlson said, Perelman's solution was "a truly amazing piece of mathematics."

Perelman lives in an ageing three-room high-rise apartment with his mother and doesn't like to pick up awards he's won, money or not. What is going on here?

Dean Simonton, a psychology professor at the University of California, Davis, said the field of abstract mathematics can attract people who live in extreme isolation, are aggressively nonconformist and "too often let their personalities interfere with their professional success."

Thomas Greenspon, a Minneapolis psychologist who has long worked with gifted children and adults, speculated that Perelman may be reacting to growing up brilliant. "It's easy to grow up feeling bad about yourself and maybe even feeling like a freak and sort of reacting accordingly," so social skills can suffer, he said.

Mathematicians will gather in Paris in June to celebrate Perelman's achievement and put on some kind of ceremony whether he's there or not. Does Carlson care whether Perelman shows up? "It would be nice," Carlson said. "But on the other hand, I respect his desire for calm and tranquillity."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to razathru For This Useful Post:

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I heard about it.
    One one side I totally understand him, but hell, he lives in a fucked up city and has nearly nothing, except his family and stuff :/

A genius is always kinda strange

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracky For This Useful Post:

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RocknTroll is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ozot is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wery interesting tnx for info ^^

bushybeard is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think I would want an award either, just to know i did it is enough, but under certain circumstances i could see myself seriously taking that.
    STOP EATING MY SESAME CAKE!

JrMn is offline Master Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If his family is at bad situation accept it. If not, accept it too.
    JrMn Only one JerMen of this kind. ^˙_˙^

Pitbull is offline All Killer No Filler.
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am pretty sure he ended up not accepting the one million dollar reward.
    Remember if someone helps you/posts something useful them.

forsakenshaman is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the problem he solved is one of the most difficult problems in the world, rivaled by some philosophy and quantum physics questions. He really deserves praise, as for the money, i know he thinks that he has no need for it, so it's better to give it to his mother as a gurantee for a stable living.