How you can be tracked online

This is a discussion on How you can be tracked online within the General Chat board part of the General category; Most people don't realize how easy it is for their online behavior to be tracked. ISPs, Websites and advertising networks ...

Marik is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How you can be tracked online

Most people don't realize how easy it is for their online behavior to be tracked. ISPs, Websites and advertising networks all have ways of tracking your online behavior. They track you in order to provide targeted advertising, classify you into a demographic group, and resell information about you to other companies.

Website do their tracking by looking at cookies, IP Addresses, and Web Bugs, and even your browsing history, among other techniques.

Here are the many ways you can be tracked online:

1. Cookies

What are Cookies?

Cookies are small pieces of data that websites can store on your computer. This is the most direct way of tracking your behavior. A website can "tag" your computer with a cookie and then read the value of this cookie later to identify you. This means that every time you visit that site they know its you.

Cookies left on your machine can also be used by to see what sites you have visited in the past, if somebody has access to your computer.
    There are four types of cookies:

1. HTTP cookies. These cookies come from the website that you are visiting and are intended to stay around permanently and each time you are online. We recommend that you delete all cookies the end of each browser session.
    2. "Session" Cookies. These cookies are the same as browser cookies, but they expire when you close your browser. Some sites, such as gMail, need to use cookies during a session in order to function properly. They don't need to have cookies stored permanently on your computer though, so we recommend that you allow session cookies to avoid breaking certain websites.
    3. 3rd Party cookies. Webpages often have pieces of content form more than one source ( such as ads). These cookies are set by other domains than the main page you are viewing. In most cases 3rd part cookies are used by advertisers to track users across multiple websites. We recommend that you block third part cookies.
    4. Flash cookies. Flash "cookies" is a term for sites using a feature in Adobe's Flash called "Local Shard Objects" to store information just like in cookies. Many sites found that they could get around your cookie settings (such as blocking or deleting) by using a feature of Flash. Abine recommends that you delete all Flash LSOs at the end of each browser session.

Read more: GetAbina

Kaskame is offline d(-_-)b

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where do I get those cookies? I don't in none supermarket :/ I'd like to track people on their PC by injecting a cookie in there (:
    Woot

JrMn is offline Master Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I LOL'D Kaskame, I LOL'D. So you can be tracked by other ways than these

Kaskame:
    JrMn Only one JerMen of this kind. ^˙_˙^