Giant Burgers Lead to Jaw Injuries in Taiwan

This is a discussion on Giant Burgers Lead to Jaw Injuries in Taiwan within the General Chat board part of the General category; If you’re looking to indulge in a gigantic burger soon, then I hope you’re prepared, lest you accidentally over-extend your ...

Jussp is offline Gangster Mod

Array
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Giant Burgers Lead to Jaw Injuries in Taiwan

If you’re looking to indulge in a gigantic burger soon, then I hope you’re prepared, lest you accidentally over-extend your jaw like the residents of Taiwan.

The island of Taiwan is suffering from an addiction to Western-style fast food. So is its next-door cousin, the People’s Republic of China, for that matter.

According to experts cited by David Moye over at AOL News, it’s all due to globalization and an “increasing economic integration into the rest of the world.” Suffice it to say, the Taiwanese can’t get enough of America’s big ol’ juicy burgers—especially the over-sized, gigantic ones.
    The result is that many fast-food diners have developed sore jaws and now have difficulty opening their mouths. Both are symptoms of Temporomandibular dysfunction, the China Post quoted professor Hsu Ming-lung of the School of Dentistry at National Yang-Ming University as saying.

Dentist Chen Yun-chich further added that it’s unnatural to open one’s mouth beyond four centimeters to eat.

The problem is that many of these burgers are as large as eight centimeters in height. This causes eaters to over-extend their mouths, which can and oftentimes does lead to jaw-related injuries. (Mind you my girlfriend claims she can handle 8 centimeters without difficulty, but that’s a whole different matter).

In retaliation, dentists are now urging fast food restaurants to either drop these giant burgers or put up signs that warn of the potential jaw injury that might result.

It seems rather odd, since increased jaw injuries means increased business for dentists. You got to give it up to them though for their dedication to the Hippocratic Oath, though!

Regardless, a general rule of thumb is that if you can’t fit it in your mouth, then perhaps you might want to cut it in half. And if you still can’t fit it, then perhaps you might just need some practice!

Source: weirdasianews.com

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As soon as I read the first line, being a Dental student I felt " This should be of a good value for dentists "

Personally I feel that this won't be of a great concern because this will be dealt in a humanly possibly manner. If it doesn't cause any immediate injury, it would at least be of TMJ problem if the habit is chronic.

Kaskame is offline d(-_-)b

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    (Mind you my girlfriend claims she can handle 8 centimeters without difficulty, but that’s a whole different matter).
    LOL'd

@Raza, nice you following Dental, now you will have a job jk
    Though if people continue to break their jaw than in some years people will be born with 8cm opening mouth so they an eat the hamburguer ^^ Darwin haha
    Woot

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jussp is offline Gangster Mod

Array
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by razathru View Post
    Lol That is not gonna happen
    Why not? You´re gonna stop it or what? ^^

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as my knowledge goes, it would be impossible for normal people to have mouth opening with 8cm, unless and until it is a weird case of gigantic person.

As the natural process goes, it is proved that the human jaw size has been decreasing and it will continue to do so. So ORTHODONTISTS have a good future making braces.

*Genetically modified one, is a possibility but do you want a cosmetically unappealing longer and broader lower jaw just to have a big burger? If you want it to be so, it is like worth losing your appearance just for the sake of burger.

I have explained it as simple as possible, so I hope you have understood it.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As far as my knowledge goes, it would be impossible for normal people to have mouth opening with 8cm, unless and until it is a weird case of gigantic person.

As the natural process goes, it is proved that the human jaw size has been decreasing and it will continue to do so. So ORTHODONTISTS have a good future making braces.

*Genetically modified one, is a possibility but do you want a cosmetically unappealing longer and broader lower jaw just to have a big burger? If you want it to be so, it is like worth losing your appearance just for the sake of burger.

I have explained it as simple as possible, so I hope you have understood it.
    Bullshit I want burguers more than jaws!!!! : D
    Woot

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the funnier side, if you don't have jaw>> you can't eat anything
    But I can still love them <3
    Woot

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just practice self-fellatio, it helps those big burgers go down much easier.