[Detailed Article]How iPhone 4 is better than ANY other phone, including EVO.

This is a discussion on [Detailed Article]How iPhone 4 is better than ANY other phone, including EVO. within the General Chat board part of the General category; Originally Posted by razathru Thanks for sharing. Huge wall of text However, there are hell lotta threads with the same ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    eZ]aCx's Avatar
    eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12
    Reputation
    1148
    Quote Originally Posted by razathru View Post
    Thanks for sharing. Huge wall of text

    However, there are hell lotta threads with the same stuff but it is Apple iPhone 4 vs. Samsung Captivate vs. Evo 4G. It is always better to add the source >>> Apple iPhone 4 vs. Samsung Captivate vs. Evo 4G.... There are similar threads all over and it is difficult to give credits to all.
    Yes but if you notice that a lot of those other sources don't have many things I have added including sensors, apps, multi touch, design, and I edited a lot of stuff on other subjects mostly "//edit:" and more ^^



    That link you posted was posted on yahoo the OFFICIAL article, which I used, not some random online blog And if you notice I had already put up a source on the very top of page, I think you didn't see it ^^
    Here is the link if you didn't catch it on the wall of text

    Code:
    http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/410/apple-iphone-4-vs-samsung-captivate-vs-evo-4g/
    This was posted on yahoo, which is official, the thing you posted in my thread was copied off from yahoo.

    Just waiting on hendricius's , and XplittR's responses
    Last edited by eZ]aCx; 08-09-2010 at 03:47 AM.


    Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

  2. #12
    Tracky's Avatar
    Tracky is offline Administrator

    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    9,795
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    40
    Reputation
    5546
    Hehe
    As I said, I really love IPhone's.
    I always wanted to own a IPhone myself, but I dont have enough money.
    I couldn't spend more than ~100-150$ for it (without contract) cause I'm in a contract for 1 1/2 more years =/
    Your friend could send me a IPhone 3GS

    Best regards, Tracky

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tracky For This Useful Post:


  4. #13
    eZ]aCx's Avatar
    eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12
    Reputation
    1148
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracky View Post
    Hehe
    As I said, I really love IPhone's.
    I always wanted to own a IPhone myself, but I dont have enough money.
    I couldn't spend more than ~100-150$ for it (without contract) cause I'm in a contract for 1 1/2 more years =/
    Your friend could send me a IPhone 3GS

    Best regards, Tracky
    Actually, why don't you just use N34rly's guides to get em You said you had all right?
    OR If there is a craigslist around your area, you can get a new one as a trade/low price.


    Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

  5. #14
    Devic3's Avatar
    Devic3 is offline Master Hacker
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    9
    Reputation
    235
    Overall Winner: Apple iPhone 4
    I agree!
    Awesome article.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Devic3 For This Useful Post:


  7. #15
    hendricius's Avatar
    hendricius is offline Administrator

    Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Goettingen, Germany
    Posts
    6,312
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    23
    Reputation
    2180
    Thanks for the great article.

    Crucial for me when picking the Evo 4G is the OS. I want an open system because that's the future. We don't want to stick to one particular company.

    Also the 4G network is exactly what I need. I need tethering from my phone to go online everywhere I am.
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

    "D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to hendricius For This Useful Post:


  9. #16
    eZ]aCx's Avatar
    eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12
    Reputation
    1148
    Quote Originally Posted by hendricius View Post
    Thanks for the great article.

    Crucial for me when picking the Evo 4G is the OS. I want an open system because that's the future. We don't want to stick to one particular company.

    Also the 4G network is exactly what I need. I need tethering from my phone to go online everywhere I am.
    1) You can tether on any iPhone, there are MANY apps in cydia which allow you to do so.
    2) 4G is not everywhere, so its not going to be much help.
    3) Your battery is going to die easily.
    4) I don't see whats so great about Android OS, google has crappy programming to make a OS which cannot even use their hardware to their full extent. 8 mega pixel camera beaten by 5 mega pixel xD + More.
    But I don't see why you would want a "open" OS, in iOS4 you can make apps, same for Android, and I don't see Android getting far in the future.

    The iPhone 4 is great over all the subjects I have covered, if you are only going to get a phone for tethering, I suggest you get some other phone, because Evo is not going to be helpful for you.
    But get a Evo if you want, and you will see what I'm talking about
    Last edited by eZ]aCx; 08-09-2010 at 06:53 PM.


    Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

  10. #17
    Vearb's Avatar
    Vearb is offline God


    Array
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Germany, Berlin
    Posts
    1,971
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12
    Reputation
    1136
    Firstly great article (better then mine) lol
    Quote Originally Posted by eZ]aCx View Post
    1) You can tether on any iPhone, there are MANY apps in cydia which allow you to do so.
    2) 4G is not everywhere, so its not going to be much help.
    3) Your battery is going to die easily.
    4) I don't see whats so great about Android OS, google has crappy programming to make a OS which cannot even use their hardware to their full extent. 8 mega pixel camera beaten by 5 mega pixel xD + More.
    But I don't see why you would want a "open" OS, in iOS4 you can make apps, same for Android, and I don't see Android getting far in the future.

    The iPhone 4 is great over all the subjects I have covered, if you are only going to get a phone for tethering, I suggest you get some other phone, because Evo is not going to be helpful for you.
    But get a Evo if you want, and you will see what I'm talking about
    Yes, in Cydia is an app called iTether. With iTether you can tether from an iPhone to an iPod/iPad! It costs around $2.

    And I myself have an iPhone, too!

    Adv

    If you have any queries Email me! vearb [at] d3scene [dot] com

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Vearb For This Useful Post:


  12. #18
    XplittR's Avatar
    XplittR is offline Hawt

    Array
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,920
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    16
    Reputation
    1106
    Okay, first of all, I am just going to use plain formatting, as this is just a plain reply Second: I am going to take stand in my phone: HTC Desire, as I know it better than Evo and Captive.

    __________________________________________________

    Display

    My desire got a resolution of 480 X 800 WVGA on a 3.7 inches screen. I have to say, that is far enough for me! I can view high-resolution videos perfectly. My phone also works great outdoors! On my older phones, I have never been able to see the screen except if I am holding my hand over it, but with HTC Desire, I can use the inbuilt app to change between 3 backlight-strengths (none, medium and full). While none or medium works great indoors, the full one works superior outdoors. Also, your statement that we are evaluating phones, not media players is just ridiculous! If we were to compare only "phones", then the only thing that would matter is if you can call, send SMS and battery. The phones we are comparing are smartphones, and therefore should be able to do more than just the above-mentioned things. My judgement:

    Size: Desire(3.7) vs Iphone(3.5)
    Resolution: Desire (480 X 800) vs Iphone(640 x 960)
    Backlight: Tie

    Result: Tie

    __________________________________________________


    Connectivity

    With Android 2.2 (Froyo) that came about a week ago, I can use my phone as a router, using my 3G network or EDGE (I do not know if there is 4G in Norway yet). This is a thing I do not think iPhone can do.

    About the Iphone 4 reception complaints: 1% of the users suffer from this (And you said 55k+). Seriousy? 55.000 people that can't use their phones if you hold them wrong? :O That is 5 times as many people that live in my city, and that should not be the case! A phone should be able to have reception no matter how you hold it! I know that iPhone 4 have new technology that makes the reception better, and they get creds for that(Talking about dBm. iPhone can go lower than any other phone, but I cannot remember the numbers. I think other phones normally have -115 dBm, while iPhone can go lower).

    As you say: all phones loses bars when held in certain ways, and that is totally logical. The case with iPhone though, is not the same. With iPhone, the reception shortcuts if you hold it the wrong way, not just losing bars! Of course Apple is trying to put this under the carpet by comparing with other phones and how they lose bars when held wrong.

    Wi-fi hotspot (router): Desire(yes) vs iPhone(no?)
    Reception in general: Desire(-115 dBm?) vs iPhone
    Reception when held wrong way: Desire vs iPhone

    Result: HTC Desire

    __________________________________________________

    Rear Camera

    The 8-megapixel camera on the Evo 4G has more resolution than both the 5-megapixel iPhone 4 and 5-megapixel Captivate, and more manual search controls, too. The Samsung Captivate does not have a front facing camera while the EVO and iPhone 4 do. But that’s only one part of the story. The iPhone 4 takes better pictures than either competitor.

    My Desire "only" have 5 Megapixels. This is great for taking photos, and also video. With Froyo, I am also able to recored 720p videos, and the videos I have seen from the internet and the ones I shot myself, are simply incredible!

    The thing about iPhone being able to edit movies using iMovie is just lame. If you want to edit your videos, then you know that you will use a computer!

    I will leave this open, until I see some results from iPhone.
    __________________________________________________

    Videoconferencing

    HTC Desire does not have a front camera.

    Result: iPhone 4
    __________________________________________________

    Battery Life

    I will give you the specs from my Desire(Given by "Battery Time" app, also available from iPhone I think):
    Idle time: 350h
    Talk time: 6h 1min
    Casual gaming: 2h 52m

    This is the real specs, not the ones that the manufactories give. Also, the fact that you can carry around a extra battery is a huge plus (As far as I know, Apple's products are the only ones that does not allow you that)! This also counts for if your battery breaks, then you can just exchange it instead of sending the whole phone to repair (which results in way less time without your phone <3 ).

    Iphone got a little better (not incredible much, but still mention-worthy) battery, but the fact that you can exchange battery on Desire is a big plus.

    Result: Tie, but a small + for Desire
    __________________________________________________

    Speed

    Desire also got 1GHz processor like iPhone. As you said, the speed result is hard to determine, as they are quicker in different sections of the phone. But about the Flash not being quick? :O I can watch youtube/youporn films(using my browser, Dolphin, not the youtube viewer) and play simple games that only requires few mouse clicks, with a high refreshrate. I still cannot understand why Apple does not want their phones to have Flash.

    Result: Tie. The Flash subject is a offspring, and does not actually have anything with speed to do.
    __________________________________________________

    Storage

    My Desire only have 512 internal storage, so iPhone beats it there, but the capability of adding a microSD(Including SD 2.0) card is awesome! I bought a 16 GB card for $66, and I payed $60 for my Desire (That is when you include the discount I got, Probably would have been $120 without discount, due to binding myself to an operator for 12 months). Also take in consideration that Norway is a expensive country in average. When new technology come to SD, I can expand my storage even further (E.g. It wont be long until you can have 1TB memory-sticks)

    Result: HTC Desire
    __________________________________________________

    Multitouch

    Now I'm quite sure I don't have to explain this. iPhone's + iPod touch'es multi touch screens have been voted year by year to have the best/non jerky screens. The iPhone has been pitted against many of its competitors and it always wins.

    iPhone does indeed have a better multitouch (I tested mine with a free multitouch painting-app). It might have been the app that was bad, but I doubt it.

    Result: iPhone 4


    __________________________________________________

    Design

    Such a stupid thing to bring up into a comparison... This is a subject that will change from individual to individual. I like HTC Desire's design much more than the iPhone 4 design(Including the app-icons), but I am not going to claim that Desire got a better design and call it a winner for that's sake, and therefore I will remove this part from the comparison.

    __________________________________________________

    Apps

    Lets not combine apps and firmware! HTC delivers regularly firmware-updates for their phones too (Just take a look at Android 2.2). Saying that Android Market is a pathetic rip off of the Apple App Store, is like saying that the Apple App Store is a pathetic rip off of the computer's possibility on internet, a.k.a. plain stupid comparison.
    I could say the same thing the other way: Jailbreaking allows you to get access to Cydia (Which I presume is an app store that Apple does not control). Isn't that exactly what Android Market is???

    That said, jailbreaking requires technological insight, and might screw up your phone if you do. If it is legal or not, has nothing to say: You can root your Android-phone, so iPhone is not alone in breaking free from the standard operating system.

    The numbers you presented about iPhone got more apps, I can not confirm. But I promise you that apps are coming to Android too, it's just a matter of time. Also, Android allows everyone to program apps, which also is the point of jailbreaking the iPhone. A lot more contributors = A lot more apps.

    Result: HTC Desire
    __________________________________________________

    Sensors

    I have never heard of the three-axis sensor from iPhone, but my phone does what it is supposed to

    Result: iPhone (If the three-axis sensor actually matters.
    __________________________________________________

    New section: Multitasking:

    Android provides TRUE multitasking, not the false one that iOS provides. Android let the programs run in the background, while iPhone pauses it. Though, iPhone apps can be set to do simple tasks such as playing music(after all the time without spotify+other things, my friends biggest complaint with iPhone!). But there is more advantages of running the program in the background instead of just pausing it: If you are on e.g. D3scene on your iPhone and writing a reply, then the phone calls, and when you go back to D3scene, the page will reload, and you will have lost everything you wrote... On Android, you would be just where you left!

    Result: HTC Desire

    Overall winner: HTC Desire (4) vs iPhone (3)
    HTC Desire is better, and in addition Android is open source, and that is where the future is, not the monopoly-stuff that Apple tries!
    __________________________________________________

    I hope you liked my reply, and realize that you in no way changed my ways to look at Apple and iPhone ^^
    Last edited by XplittR; 08-09-2010 at 08:51 PM.

    Hawt.

  13. #19
    eZ]aCx's Avatar
    eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,273
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    12
    Reputation
    1148

    First off I would like to say I'm sorry I could not convert you. Now I am going to respond to what you have said, so please bare with me.

    Display:
    You say HTC Desire is 3.7, a difference of .2 vs iPhone 4. That I have to say is your opinion, not a fact. iPhone 4 (as a fact, in several researches, it has shown iPhone 4 has FAR superior display.) We are talking about display not size of screen.
    So it cannot be a tie. (Also too big screened phones are not enjoyable, you can barely hold them, look at the Evo.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Connectivity:
    iPhone 4 jailbroken allows you to get apps (a lot free, some $2) which all you to tether/use it as a hotspot, thats not a problem. Since jailbreaking is legal now and takes 1 second to do, it does not make a difference.

    You say 55K is a lot right? That is because they are in LOW reception areas, that is technically not much of Apple's fault. 55K out of 3 Million is not a lot, 1% (only due to bad reception areas.)

    Desire was shown in Apple's video to lose reception just as easy as the iPhone 4 does in low reception areas. I have the iPhone 4, and I've had PERFECT reception, better than any phone I've ever had, thats only because I'm in a decent reception area.

    So I would say that is a tie.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Rear Camera:

    Sure go ahead, go to engadget.com, and modmyi.com or gizmodo.com. There you can look at what pictures are better, and its been CONFIRMED no matter WHERE you look, iPhone 4's pictures are 2x better. If its your opinion that HTC Desire's photos look good, so be it, but it will never surpass the iPhone's camera.

    Also if you have a Mac, please try out the iMovie app, its a VERY powerful tool, just like it is on the iPhone. Its very easy to use and you get near perfection video editing.

    Winner still : iPhone 4.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Battery Life:

    ANY battery app you get is not going to be 100% accurate. What the manufactures give you are the REAL capability of the phone. And idk if you know this but people actually test the battery life, and confirm it over tech blogs. And its been proven iPhone 4 has the best battery life just like I stated on my main thread.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Speed:

    Flash wastes battery and is slow, if you compare on a computer vs the phone you can see clear differences, and Apple even explained them selves in the link I had posted. Its quite long, but I think you should read it, it tells you exactly why they don't want flash on their products.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Storage:

    Still doesn't change the fact you have to pay extra to get that memory. What they offer default is what is best, adding a SD card just makes you pay more. If that was the case, why don't they just increase their memory size?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Design

    If you read what I said, it meant both hardware and software. By hardware, iPhone 4 surpasses pretty much any smartphone. Did you see the strength/features of the new iPhone 4 body? I have one, and the anti fingerprint screen OMFG <3

    So I still say Winner: iPhone 4.

    Your HTC products all feel like plastic and non sturdy, and don't even provide non fingerprint screens/tougher material than plastic.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Apps

    Dude from what your saying now, is showing me you don't look at facts at all. If you look anywhere, go on google, ANYWHERE, it will tell you exact same thing, where apple almost triple if not quadruples the amount of Apps than Android Market.
    Jailbreaking is in no way harmful to your device, authorites/companies like to scare you with that stuff. Unless your "dumb" and can't follow the simple steps which the jailbreakers give you, then thats the users fault. It takes 1 second to jailbreak otherwise.

    And if you have noticed, Apple App store is the FIRST of its kind, coincidence how Google comes into the phone market and just makes Android with a App store exactly like Apples? Thats what I call ripping off incredibly.
    Cydia apps are not rip offs because they are made by users for a difference reason, enhance/customize the iPhone which puts cydia apps in a completely different category. Unlike cydia, Android Market tries to sell same type of game/utility apps like the Apple App store, and provides the same type of "SDK" which Apple Provides, which I find hilarious.

    Winner : Apple iPhone 4. And always will be, due to the sheer number of apps they have.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sensors

    Do you have a iPhone 4? Because the gyroscope makes everything better Games are 10x funner to play, and its the FIRST phone to implement a gyroscope which is a technological feet by Apple.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Multitasking

    1) I agree HTC desire does have the "true" multi tasking, which DRAINS battery. But that is another story.
    2) iPhone 4 plays music/leaves internet where it was left off, it doesn't close it. If you are IM'ing on another browser and go to a game it will still be on and working fine, it won't stop. They even showed a demo of this live, Idk what your friend must be saying, but he is wrong.
    The ONLY things that pause when multi tasking on the iPhone 4 are the games/movies/youtube/online movies/videos, which I am fine with, because if you were multi tasking and doing other things, why would you want your game/movie to continue when you can easily pause it and come back?
    And from this the iPhone 4 doesn't lose any battery and you still get to do everything perfectly. I think I said this in the thread, but Apple uses API's which is far superior than just using regular multi tasking which is useless + wasting battery.

    I still say Winner: iPhone 4.
    (If you think I'm wrong, just go on youtube or any tech blog and look at the articles and videos, you will see my point.)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Overall winner is still iPhone 4. I'm sorry to say (and no offense), but most of your arguments are based off opinions not facts. The stuff I posted on my article is OFFICIAL facts from every tech blog out there, where they have researched and analysed.

    And from all this Android "Open source" stuff, can you please explain what is point of that? What are you going to do even if it is "open source?" That doesn't allow any new features, or anything else. Unless you are some hardcore coder and etc. There is really 0 you do/receive even if it is open source.

    And just a extra notice, one reason why I despise HTC, is because they just rip off from Apple. If you didn't see the latest 20 patent lawsuit against HTC from Apple, thats one big proof. I suggest you read the patent infridgments. Also not just that, about all the recent phones they have been making, look more and more like the iPhone each time. If you look at the history of HTC phones, they didn't look anything like they do now. I bet if the iPhone was never released, HTC would have NEVER even conceptualized the phones they have out now.
    Last edited by eZ]aCx; 08-09-2010 at 10:29 PM.


    Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

  14. #20
    Devic3's Avatar
    Devic3 is offline Master Hacker
    Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rep Power
    9
    Reputation
    235
    How can you write that much ?
    I'm stunned!
    iPhone 4 > all

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to Devic3 For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Google phone worthy than Iphone
    By razathru in forum Mobile Phone forum
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM
  2. Full Article about me!
    By bomber in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-18-2009, 07:40 PM
  3. Trace a Phone Number on your iPhone
    By DoGgY in forum iOS forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2008, 10:27 PM
  4. digg this article i found
    By jphix in forum Diablo 3 forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 03:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •