5 Earth-size planets found in Milky Way

This is a discussion on 5 Earth-size planets found in Milky Way within the General Chat board part of the General category; Originally Posted by Glupus I dont belive human evulotion is on an halt... its just slower. Its not the survival ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Glupus View Post
    I dont belive human evulotion is on an halt... its just slower. Its not the survival of the strongest for us anymore. Less people dies of shit (illness) and stupidety. We are breaking one of the strongest "laws" in nature.

But people should belive what they want. But having war about whos god is the toughest (or the right) or forbidding/leaving out the evelution teori (New US schoolbooks I think?) is not right.

But hey xD this is a thread about the milkey way =) I think we ether stay on topic xD Personaly I think we aint alone in the universe, the chances for life is actually big if you see the big scale. But what kind if life? would might be a better question, right?
    It doesn't matter if it's off-topic; it's an interesting discussion and will not be disapproved of by staff.

Agree... you can actally proove this by with something that use less time.... evelution happens over generations. How long is an human generation?
    You can do reasearch on this with something as basic as plants (tomatoes, beans, potatoes and even weed) or bugs ^^
    I've been in classes for this shit (and I even had a free choose o.o) there I had to experiment with some damn plants.. and it was boring the first time, but then in the 5th or 6th generation of tomatoes changes begand to happen. Ofc there are other factors which plays around when it comes to have evidence.

Systematic breeding forces the plant/animal/whateveritis to adapt the enviroment, in a long term the adpantion is finished and you might even have a new kind of *whateveritis*. (Its today registered 600 different kind of tomatoes where most of them is "Mixxed* with a different breed.

Offtopic. The chance for life is in fact BIG if you think on how big the universe is. ^^
    Artificial selection is something completely different. It's done by human's, and it's when one breeds two animals with the same characteristic until there is a new species with that characteristic.

Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    actually the 5 fingers isn't a DISORDER per say, six fingers is just the dominant trait, five is recessive. My last biology professor had a bunch of theories why certain dominant traits die out. Some traits can be proven as to why they disappear after generations. The recessive trait for five fingers taking over is an unexplained occurance. Some believe that it passed on merely for aesthetic value, possibly a five fingered mate appeared more attractive (FOR EXAMPLE) and they were the ones that mated more often, therefore slowly weeding out the dominant six finger. There is no particular right answer for this one, but maybe theoires. On that note, there are many inherent traits in the human genome that have disappeared, some are really cool if you have time to research it, most of the time the traits weren't passed on because they were not needed for survival, or posed no large benefit to existence, though some of them were mega neato. Genetics being passed from one generation to the next IS evolution. It is an uber slow process, but glupus makes a good point by stating how we can easily view the process on a micro level.
    Think about cultivars. People cultivate spp of plants and pick charcteristics that will make it the best, capability to survive droughts, frosts, more readily available absorption of nutrients, etc. In the wild, plants adapt to their environment accordingly, as is viewable when you take an afghani strain of indica, and it can withstand extremely high temperatures, droughts, malnourishment, and overheating. Survival of the fittest is apparent in this case, but the problem with microevolution is that we have a tendancy to pick traits that are unneccessary and unbeneficiary to prolonging the species. This is apparent in plants, when we select a flowering bud for it's color, instead of alkaloid content... and is apparent in humans, when we select mates to breed with that are (for lack of a better word) inferior. I believe the human evolution is digressing, and damn near slowing to a halt. There are no stressors in a typical human's existence that push it to survive. As a species, we will typical survive with no effort whatsoever, and therefor have no genetic traits adapting to make us "superior". The brain is evolving greatly over time, but not the neuromuscular system as there are no conditions in which we do not thrive. To get a stupid example of this, watch the movie (Idiocracy, totally stupid movie i know, but the message they give toward the beginning is TOTALLY what is happening).
    My personal opinion is that the human species is regressing (as a whole), and I make it my active goal to not fall into complacency, and strive to evolve further, expand my mind, question reality, open doors that the powers in charge demand stay shut, and try to evoke deeper forms of thought in those I come into contact with.... whenever i'm not fap'ing XD
    Evolution ftw
    (sorry for the long thread mod's)
    also, tl;dr

Kaskame is offline d(-_-)b

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    It doesn't matter if it's off-topic; it's an interesting discussion and will not be disapproved of by staff.
    I disaprove.

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaskame View Post
    I disaprove.
    disapprove* <3

ontopic: Everyone is a faggot, there is way too much tl;dr here, and I'm going to sleep.

real ontopic: this is now ontopic

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kevin For This Useful Post:

Myself1300 is offline Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing!!

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    disapprove* <3

ontopic: Everyone is a faggot, there is way too much tl;dr here, and I'm going to sleep.

real ontopic: this is now ontopic
    No U

Artanis is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "It has been estimated that there are between 1 billion and 30 billion planets in our galaxy, and about 100 billion galaxies in the universe. Knocking a few noughts off for reasons of ordinary prudence, a billion billion is a conservative estimate of the number of available planets in the universe. Now, suppose the origin of life, the spontaneous arising of something equivalent to DNA, really was a staggeringly improbable event. Suppose it was so improbable as to occur on only one in a billion planets. [...] Even with such absurdly looking odds, life will still have arisen on a billion planets - of which Earth, of course, is one."

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Artanis For This Useful Post:

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    "It has been estimated that there are between 1 billion and 30 billion planets in our galaxy, and about 100 billion galaxies in the universe. Knocking a few noughts off for reasons of ordinary prudence, a billion billion is a conservative estimate of the number of available planets in the universe. Now, suppose the origin of life, the spontaneous arising of something equivalent to DNA, really was a staggeringly improbable event. Suppose it was so improbable as to occur on only one in a billion planets. [...] Even with such absurdly looking odds, life will still have arisen on a billion planets - of which Earth, of course, is one."
    Just for the sake of the mathematically-challenged, a billion billion is 1.0x10^18, or 10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10x10 x10, or 1000000000000000000, 100 quintillion.
    Last edited by Kevin; 02-11-2011 at 03:49 PM.

Malish is offline YAH

Array
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Artificial selection is something completely different. It's done by human's, and it's when one breeds two animals with the same characteristic until there is a new species with that characteristic.
    my point how easy it is to simulate evelution on the short basic. If you give the nature a few hundred yers it does the same.
    " [28-09, 00:51] Matt: I use wire brushes on my grill, she likes it."

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my point how easy it is to simulate evelution on the short basic. If you give the nature a few hundred yers it does the same.
    Evolution *
    Years*

L2Spell

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Evolution *
    Years*