My Rant on my opinion of Video Game Industry

This is a discussion on My Rant on my opinion of Video Game Industry within the General Chat board part of the General category; So this is my little rant on my opinion on the Video Game Industry and its consumers. I am a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Robin is offline Place user title here
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Rant on my opinion of Video Game Industry

So this is my little rant on my opinion on the Video Game Industry and its consumers.

I am a little concerned and worried on the reality of what consumers are buying from Video Game companies. Many good games are overlooked and stepped on because they don't have a famous title or developer.

Take a look at the debate on which game will be better, Torchlight 2 or Diablo 3. Honestly if you put in the time of development the cost of each game that tl2 is prob the better game on that regards. If both were lets say the same amount of money prob diablo 3 is the better game with better graphics and more money backing the development. Many consumers these days just look at the title and the developer and that is it. If someone sees the title call of duty, many won't care how similar it is to its prequel just that it is a new cod with new weapons and a new somewhat mediocre and uninteresting story.

Activision doesn't care about new ideas. They only care about reusing the same old formula of CoD and other games and just counting the money. Small companies such as Runic (torchlight) make games that most big shot developers won't even think of doing. Of course everyone pursues wealth but the smaller company looks for being different because runic will always lose to Blizzard graphics wise because of their budget.
    Smaller companies have to stand out and by doing that they must be out of the norm with their games. If a small company tried to make a CoD clone, believe me cod will beat them out of the water due to superior graphics and same old formula.

Would u get a game like Audiosurf made by an indepdent game for 10 bucks from Activision? 10 dollars? Never! Look how intersting this game is and how unusual it is. I could loose 100's of hours in this game going through my itunes library and playing a tetris/beat driven game.

This little rant of mine is a reaction to the greedy consumers that just want the new WoW expo or new CoD game. Many mainstreem consumers of video games want the same old same old. I am a huge fan of smaller budget games such as Mount and Blade and Torchlight. Each cost 15 dollars. I have put more hours into Mount and Blade than any 60 dollar game i have. I have played soldier front more than any CoD. Sometimes big budgets, big companies, and great graphics don't make a good game. CoD maybe a fun game, I won't lie to that, but I believe Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Crysis 1 are so much better than CoD. CoD2 and CoD4 were the best but what happened to the last 4. It is because Activision got greedy and were tired of thinking of new ideas and started just milking on the old "safe" original ideas.

Can you name one major thing that is different of the core formula from CoD modern warfare 2 and CoD black Ops? Can u name one major thing that is different of the core formula of CoD4 and CoD world at war? I know I can't. The core gameplay is the same.

Now can you name one major thing that is different of the core formula of CoD4 and CoD3. I know I can!! How about the class system or the killstreaks or the new surprising era that no company would dare to go to in the past. MODERN WARFARE.

Try something new and don't be stuck on the same military fast action shooter. Try Portal 2 instead of a military shooter. Try Shogun 2 total war instead of Starcraft 2. Try Mount and Blade instead of Dragon Age 2. Try Torchlight 2 instead of Diablo 3.

GO OUT AND TRY SOMETHING NEW. There are many good games out there that are new and different than the mainstreem games such as CoD, Starcraft, Warcraft, Diablo, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, and many others.

You know why companies such as Activision charges 60 dollars for a game that should be a 20 dollar expo. I am looking at you Black Ops. It is because they can and people are buying these games. What happened to the story driven games that I used to love and play endlessly?

Starcraft 2 should have been at the most a 50 dollar game with all 3 of the Protoss, Zerg, and Terran campaigns in one. But instead Blizzard is going to crank out 2 more expos and charge probable 30-40 dollars each for a couple new units and a story that should have been included in the main game. If people stop buying these overpriced and broken down games then maybe companies will stop being greedy and give us games that we deserve.

Stop with this 60 dollar mark up. Stop with these worthless $15 dlc's (aka map packs). Stop with these rediculous spread out games (Starcraft 2). Stop with the same old games (Recent CoD). I myself am sick of these big companies taking our money greedly for games that could be much better and cheaper.

Thank You for everyone who had the time to read my block of text. Plz Respond at the bottom and we can continue this discussion.

This is a list of my favorite small budget games:

Torchlight:

Mount and Blade:

Last edited by Robin; 05-18-2011 at 03:12 AM.
    Moderator in SC2 section. Have any questions? PM ME!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Useful Post:

Mike is offline Master of Hell

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, heavy stuff Robin!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks man. U rly read it all that fast lol?

Mike is offline Master of Hell

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Thanks man. U rly read it all that fast lol?
    Yep!

Dima is offline La La Land

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    gonna read it , but I bet that it will take much time so afk

lloyd1 is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can u name one major thing that is different of the core formula of CoD4 and CoD world at war? I know I can't. The core gameplay is the same.
    The core difference is that CoD4 ruled, the maps where awesome, no lame tanks, good knife response time.
    and that CoD5LameAtFail sucked, It lacked anything awesome except zombies, the guns where.. sub par, the game response time seemed lacking, where-as CoD4 seemed instant, and this was noticed for me more on the Ps3 version of the game as well.

What happened to the story driven games that I used to love and play endlessly?
    I agree, most games now cater for mouth-breathing idiots who have no care for background story.

Starcraft 2 should have been at the most a 50 dollar game with all 3 of the Protoss, Zerg, and Terran campaigns in one. But instead Blizzard is going to crank out 2 more expos and charge probable 30-40 dollars each for a couple new units and a story that should have been included in the main game.
    Yep, I totally agree there buddy. Starcraft 2 Is well overpriced, and charging 30bucks for a expo... Im hoping they keep the SC2 WoL seperate from HotS because I might not want to pay $30 or £25 for a game I already have.

You seem to mention that you hate the major game companies?
    I don't, I just think what your paying for is overpriced at the moment, paying more than £50 for a game these days is retarded (/insert faggy wallmart-theif-mouth-breathing idiot with comment about how they don't pay for it here).
    It just seems like a waste of time too me, I personally don't think games should have expansions with the amount of revenue WoW/SC2 makes, they should just come as up-dates. But companies are greedy as shit, and Capitalism and monopolisation of the video game industry will exist for a while, but I also applaud the fact that smaller game industries are making it into the scene releasing small games for steam and stuff.

Meh, thats my 2 cents and your 2 cents I guess.[COLOR="Silver"]

8. The Following User Says Thank You to lloyd1 For This Useful Post:

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd1 View Post
    The core difference is that CoD4 ruled, the maps where awesome, no lame tanks, good knife response time.
    and that CoD5LameAtFail sucked, It lacked anything awesome except zombies, the guns where.. sub par, the game response time seemed lacking, where-as CoD4 seemed instant, and this was noticed for me more on the Ps3 version of the game as well.

I agree, most games now cater for mouth-breathing idiots who have no care for background story.

Yep, I totally agree there buddy. Starcraft 2 Is well overpriced, and charging 30bucks for a expo... Im hoping they keep the SC2 WoL seperate from HotS because I might not want to pay $30 or £25 for a game I already have.

You seem to mention that you hate the major game companies?
    I don't, I just think what your paying for is overpriced at the moment, paying more than £50 for a game these days is retarded (/insert faggy wallmart-theif-mouth-breathing idiot with comment about how they don't pay for it here).
    It just seems like a waste of time too me, I personally don't think games should have expansions with the amount of revenue WoW/SC2 makes, they should just come as up-dates. But companies are greedy as shit, and Capitalism and monopolisation of the video game industry will exist for a while, but I also applaud the fact that smaller game industries are making it into the scene releasing small games for steam and stuff.

Meh, thats my 2 cents and your 2 cents I guess.[COLOR="Silver"]
    No, I don't hate the major game companies. Starcraft 2 and the Cod's are good games but they can be so much more and so much less. Look if i buy all the Starcraft 2 expos and the original one i have. That is $60+$40+$40= $140 for a game that should be 90 dollars less and one game. I think big companies rip us off and we can get so much more. The games they come out mostly are good but not great by any standards.

Here is an example. Dragon Age compared to Dragon Age 2. Dragon Age 2's story was mediocre, combat felt fake, and characters i didn't really feel attached too. Dragon Age 1 on the other hand had a great story, great combat, and great memorable characters. I will remember the characters in Dragon Age 1 but not really any in Dragon Age 2 except for that Dwarf that narrates.

Also much Kudos to Steam for helping get the smaller companies' games out there in the market. Valve is a great company and is my favorite company. Activision on the other hand is my least fav.
    Last edited by Robin; 05-18-2011 at 03:22 AM.

lloyd1 is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Activision on the other hand is my least fav.
    You have to remember that Activision is also part of Blizzard now.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that is y I brought up cod and Starcraft in the same sentence. Activation is a money making machine

Specs is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice someone with an actual brain, my favorite game of all time was actual a $19.99 game at release price.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast