Review: Avatar Movie

This is a discussion on Review: Avatar Movie within the General Chat board part of the General category; I must admit, I was skeptical about this movie when I first heard about it. I wasn't quite sure what ...

Valefor2 is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Review: Avatar Movie

I must admit, I was skeptical about this movie when I first heard about it. I wasn't quite sure what it was about, and the commercials did not offer much except that it was about a bunch of blue people fighting humans.

Story: 10/10
    I do not have enough words to express how great the story is. Although it uses a lot of familiar plot devices, its execution of these plot devices is flawless with the overall story. When humans start harvesting the planet of Pandora, the natives, the Na'vi, a very tribal race who have more respect for their planet and its beings than a Native American did back in the 1400's, must fight back to hold onto what they hold dear to them. Every moment of this movie captivated me and drew me deeper into the story of Jake Sully and his surrogate body, referred to as his avatar. Eventually he meets Neytiri, who is very hot, and i dont care what anyone says about it, even if it is just a CG rendering.

Jake Sully as his avatar(right) and Neytiri(left)

On the other side we have SecFor's Colonel Miles Quaritch(shown below) and Parker Selfridge(also shown below), who supports Quaritch as he and his crew attempt to mine Pandora for all of its unobtainium(how original), which can only be found on Pandora and sells for 20 million a kilo.

Colonel Miles Quaritch

Parker Selfridge

This is a twist on the epic old style story of the evil aliens(hereby referred to as the sky people) who want the locals(the Na'vi) out of the way. Initially the sky people sent avatars to get close to the Na'vi and win their trust. However, diplomacy doesn't seem to work, and tensions between the sky people and Na'vi run high. I'll leave the rest to the movie for you to go see. I don't want to spoil anything.

Sound: 10/10
    I couldn't have been more impressed with the way the sounds and music intertwined with each other to create an engrossing experience for this movie. The story is great, and I have nothing ill to say about it, but the sound did make things 10x better. I would definitely recommend you see this in theaters or else you will not truly have experienced this movie. That is, unless you have 10 speakers blasting theater quality sound from all corners of your own home theater system. I still have chills from watching and hearing the missiles, the creatures of Pandora, and even the ambient sounds of the ancestral tree going through my head. Overall, very fantastic.

Special Effects: 10/10
    This movie was designed with all the bells and whistles installed and ready to go, and honestly, there would be no way to watch this without the massive amount of quality special effects they had. The effects added to the realistic feel and believability of the whole story. If you thought Lord of the Rings or Star Wars had fantastic visual appeal, you will be blasted back on your rear by how fantastically beautiful this movie is. I can just see George Lucas banging his head in a door repeatedly saying "STUPID, STUPID, STUPID ME" for not thinking of this before James Cameron did. Everything was beautifully done, from the forest at day and night(two very different experiences) to the human base, and I could not imagine anything better they could have done. Normally, a combo breaker is needed or else the combo would be epic, but no combo breaker here! Plus, the fact that I saw it in digital 3D changed the whole viewing experience in ways I can not even have imagined possible before today. Seeing the creatures of the forest in 3D, the epic battle scenes where ships crash into the screen and the emotionally charged scenes of anguish when the Na'vi are forcibly removed from their home are all 10x better than had 3D not been there. Avatar scores high in every area of special effects by my standards!

Overall: 11/10
    Thats right, 11/10, and for all of you naysayers out there, have you watched this movie yet?! And for those of you who would say tl;dr, MAY EYWA HAVE MERCY ON YOUR HEATHEN SOUL. And if you're wondering about Eywa, GO WATCH THE MOVIE. Even bring the kids along! It may be rated PG-13 but I would not want to deprive my 9 year old kid of the pleasures of watching avatar for 4 years! Granted, I don't have kids, so it wasn't the first thing on my mind. Regardless, SEE THIS MOVIE IN 3D, YOUR MIND AND SOUL WILL THANK YOU LATER. The whole movie was an emotionally charged thrill ride where you actually get to know the Na'vi and delve into their culture, as opposed to getting random bits of information that doesn't make sense until the very end. You won't even feel sorry for the humans after the first 30 minutes of watching this movie. And I don't even mean that in a disrespectful way to mankind since not every one of us is an insensitive, immoral asshole like Colonel Quaritch. THE END!

AND

razathru is offline The not so evul DOC!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ItzNitro is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a good film (not as good as people made it out to be though), amazing special effects, but the storyline is ever so predictable.