Rage Review (ps3)

This is a discussion on Rage Review (ps3) within the General Chat board part of the General category; Honestly I had high expectations for this game. The first time I saw the some gameplay a couple months ago, ...

Robin is offline Place user title here
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rage Review (ps3)

Honestly I had high expectations for this game. The first time I saw the some gameplay a couple months ago, I was truly impressed. The New Id 5 engine, great car mechanics, realistic feel of guns, fluid AI, open world rpg, what more could you want in a game? I expected a well fleshed out rpg with solid shooting mechanics.

Let me first start out this review by saying, I am a huge fan of Id since quake one and doom one. Id produces the greatest video game engines and shooters. Rage was the rebirth of Id's attempt into making another video game in a long time.

Story: The story is a little cliche. A post-apocalyptic world with bandits and survivors. An asteroid is about to hit Earth and mankind is in jeopardy You are a special survivor because you were a volunteer for some sort of government plan. You were one of the planned survivors to keep the human race alive. The opening scene is pretty jaw dropping and I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who wants to still try or get the game.

Gameplay: Let's just say that this game doesn't have very good rpg elements. It is really an fps with some rpg mechanics. Some examples are buying your own ammo, upgrades for your weapons and cars, somewhat of some open worldness. The story is linear and you cannot branch out. There is also no map. Ya that's right. NO MAP!! Most of the area looks about the same for someone who just got the game. All you get is a little mini map and when you go into the main hub area, there is no mini map or map at all. Looking for quest givers can be a pain for a while when you don't know where you are going.

Graphics: The new Id engine brings great detail to the environment and character detail. From far away Rage looks amazing but when you look at a building or a rock the detail starts to look like borderland which is cell shaded. The minor details on rocks are just not there. There is texture pop in whenever you turn your character. The lighting is very poor and is probable the worst of all the graphic details.

Verdict: This game will take you about 15 hours. It is really a fps with the disguise as a rpg. The fighting areas are very small like the cod campaign. Car fights is really just hold one button and shoot aka very boring. It auto aims for you. Lemme just say this. This game is not bad and it isn't good either. It is not worth 60 bucks for the amount of gameplay you will get with it. The mutliplayer is also passable, only a couple coop mission and car fights which are mediocre.

This game has been compared to borderlands and fallout 3 a lot but this game is not nearly as good as those two. Fallout 3 is a great rpg expierence prob on my top 10 fav games of all time and borderland is a solid fun fps/rpg with WoW looting. I say rent this game first and if you don't have borderlands or fallout 3 just get those instead.

My Rage Score: 7.5/10
    Moderator in SC2 section. Have any questions? PM ME!!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robin For This Useful Post:

Specs is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide, been planning on buying the game but it seems like a game thats price will drop quick so i shall wait.

flyduster90 is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Specs View Post
    Nice guide, been planning on buying the game but it seems like a game thats price will drop quick so i shall wait.
    Yeah, nice tactic. Like Starcraft 2, They were 70 bucks , now 18.
    Press the thank button! I will thank back =p

Robin is offline Place user title here
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe wait till it 20-30 bucks not worth anymore than that