Racism

This is a discussion on Racism within the General Chat board part of the General category; I have decided to experiment with a population on what they think of racism. So, i have decided to make ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TheBraken is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Racism

I have decided to experiment with a population on what they think of racism. So, i have decided to make this thread about how all of you feel about racism. Here are some sentences I have to post to test how all of you think. Please post to this, it is a work of knowledge. I want to know how others think of the topic. Post if you think the sentence is racist or not. So the choices are: Racist, Stereotypical, or other. Please excuse the language.

White people are douches.

Most black people are assholes.

"Yo cracker! Come here."

Canadians are afraid of the dark.

Mexicans run fast.

Jews are greedy.

Most germans are helpful.

Jews have big noes'.

Please try not to derail the thread. And I am only doing this for research. If this is not allowed, i will just delete this and change the thread to a different topic. Or it can just be closed.

Jolinar is offline rapid response team #1

Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey, I like the idea, although it's a difficult topic to talk about without having it 'derailed', I'll try my best.

White people are douches. - stereotypical

Most black people are assholes. - racism

"Yo cracker! Come here." - stereotypical as in what you call your buddies is your (and your buddy's thing)

Canadians are afraid of the dark. - racism

Mexicans run fast. - stereotypical

Jews are greedy. - racism/stereotypical

Most germans are helpful. - stereotypical

Jews have big noes'. - racism

Being a German myself, I'm dealing with racism more often than one would think, and due to Germany's history it's a decently debatable topic here.
    My opinion on racism within the borders of Germany is, (as we have immigrants mostly from the Balkan states), I do tolerate them as long as they've come here to work and integrate, simply live a better life than they used to in their home country, but if they immigrate and then run around screaming "Germany sucks bawls ure all nazis n shit", actually not wanting to be here at all, then I can be racist at times, hah.
    Sometimes though, I feel sorry for them. I've talked with experts about this topic and they've told me that those (mostly) teenagers have no real home country. Let's say (merely an example) immigrants from Turkey. Their parents moved to Germany because of reasons like a workplace, poverty or whatever, maybe they simply wanted to start a new life. Now they have a child, this child grows up in Germany but at home with its parents it will most likely be speaking Turkish all over. So, to his classmates and friends or other people he will always stay a Turk, as he also most likely doesn't speak decent German since his family language is Turkish.

Now imagine this teenager going back to Turkey because he isn't accepted by his surrounding people, but there, it's exactly the same. The Turkish see him as a "German" and thus he will again be treated as a foreigner that doesn't belong there.

So, yeah, not gonna jump to conclusions on how to make this stop, but that's my two cents.

Sincerely, Jolinar.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok so, just wondering. How old are you? Like, are you still in school (any form), or is it at work, or just in general as you walk by? I ask this because i might have a solution.

As for everything you have said, that is completely ridiculous how people judge so quickly. People have almost no heart these days.

One more thing, I forgot to post what i think of the subject.

White people are douches. - Racist because it focuses on the entire race.

Most black people are assholes. - Other because it doesn't focus on just the entire race.

"Yo cracker! Come here." - I meant this as in a random person says this to you. Other.

Canadians are afraid of the dark. - Stereotypical. Not really an insult, just stating something.

Mexicans run fast. - Stereotypical.

Jews are greedy. - Racist; focuses on entire race in an insulting way.

Most germans are helpful. - Stereotypical.

Jews have big noes'. - Stereotypical; i just think it is. I can't explain why.

Jolinar is offline rapid response team #1

Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm 18, almost done with my apprenticeship as interpret, and I work as bartender and community manager at a youth center for teenagers around here. Since it's an international school I'm studying at, there's hardly any racism there. At work and mostly among the teenagers I work with.

GhostlyGamer is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White people are douches. - Stereotype

Most black people are assholes. - Stereotype

"Yo cracker! Come here." - Racist Stereotype

Canadians are afraid of the dark. - I'm Canadian, I have no idea how this is supposed to be offensive.

Mexicans run fast. -Racist Stereotype

Jews are greedy. - Racist Stereotype

Most Germans are helpful. -No idea

Jews have big noes'. - Stereotype

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    White people are douches. - Racism.

Most black people are assholes. - Racism.

"Yo cracker! Come here." - Uhm, not referring to anything specific, so Stereotype imo.

Canadians are afraid of the dark. - Mostly some subjective statement. I don't know whether it's true or not. Sterotype.

Mexicans run fast. - Same as above.

Jews are greedy. - Racism.

Most germans are helpful. - Subjective, again. --> Stereotype

Jews have big noes'. - Racism

I don't really understand why people do see differences between white and black. We're all humans.
    By the way: What is it called like if I 'hate' people described by Jolinar, no matter their race. I feel disappointed and angry when I see people calling on their country they live at. I mean really, then get yourselves into a better situation. It's about the effort one shows, not the amount of crap one talks.

// 18 years old, from Germany and student at a University (Bachelor of Science in Informatics).

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracky View Post

"Yo cracker! Come here." - Uhm, not referring to anything specific, so Stereotype imo.
    I think he is referring to non-white people yelling that phrase to a white person ...

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I classify the positive things / things that I don't deem offensive, to be stereotypical. That would be "Mexicans run fast", "Germans are helpful", "Jews have big noses" (I guess the last one is debatable but I personally wouldn't find it offensive if I were Jewish).

Whereas I take the offensive/negatively intended comments and deem them racist, such as "white people are douches", "Jews are greedy" and "black people are assholes".

Though all of this is definitely subjective. Each individual has a certain degree to which they tolerate stereotypes/racism, and for some people it's hard to deal with. For instance, I don't feel offended if somebody states that all white people steal. I don't think I'd feel offended about it if I were black either, but that's because my personal tolerance is quite high (and possibly because I haven't actually experienced a high degree of racism on myself, so I can't put myself in the shoes of somebody who experiences racism daily).

Props for bringing up the topic though, racism is a very interesting phenomenon.

//16 year old from Denmark attending the equivalent of High School.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a correction, it was "Most black people are assholes." Also, as for my view on the topic, I don't have any care for racism. I think that people just overreact on the most simple things. I find it so idiotic that people would take things so seriously. I've seen before in person one person insulted another over race, and the other guy just went ape shit. Even as a joke, people don't take it lightly.

Thank you for that! I was just wondering how others felt of the topic.

Also, I only asked for Jolinar's age because he said he people had made racist comments towards him. I wanted to know his age to see if he was in school. Then, i could easily help with the problem. If anyone wants, you can just ask, and ill try to help.

I'm very glad this thread is an interesting topic to you guys.

Safou is offline '-'

Array
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No matter what you are this shouldn't even matter. Most of the things you said are true/facts. Most exists and goes on. Sadly I believe you find that the most racist group are the ones who QQ about others being racist to them ect.

Example: You say something about a "jew" and like "hitler". You are now like fucking auto racist or some shit and now hated by that jew. Now the jew says "white trash/cracker" w/e u wanna call it.. and they aren't racist? lol What I also hate is how they cry about the holocaust but yet in their communities or atleast around where I live they fucking burn/stone their OWN kind. Not trying to be "racist" or "stereotypical".. I am just pointing out a few examples of what I see daily. I think racism is just plain stupid. But to a certain extent some races need to actually chill the f out. For example.. Israelites and Palisadians. Israel kicked them out of their own homes.. just like what hitler and the nazi's did. Why must they do this? ohh.. because of the continuing never ending war over the holy land that leads all the way back to even the crusades. Imo religion is overrated and is the root to all evil...

Sadly I ain't even racists. I have many many friends of all backrounds.. Iraqi .. jewish.. polish.. christian.. catholic arab black white mexican ect ect.. so many I can name.. Too bad world peace may never exist =/

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Safou For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast