A tip on learning English (or any other language for that matter)

This is a discussion on A tip on learning English (or any other language for that matter) within the General Chat board part of the General category; Hey, while going through my stuff, I came up with an essay on how I actually learned English and I ...

Jolinar is offline rapid response team #1

Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A tip on learning English (or any other language for that matter)

Hey,

while going through my stuff, I came up with an essay on how I actually learned English and I thought, since there are dozens of people that still have a hard time speaking it on here, I might as well share it.

I don't think any of you know, but I'm almost finished with my traineeship as bilingual assistant, meaning I do commercial correspondence, general translating and teaching for a living.

I'll just take English as an example, this can be applied to any other language though.

I first had English class in elementary school (third grade to be exact) where my school was one of the few in Bavaria to try teaching English to kids in that age. I cannot express how grateful I am for that.
    Although it is nothing compared to a fifthgrader English class, it gave me a basic idea of what English is and how it is different from German. I then developed interest in languages as a whole and started learning on my own (a bit.. haha).

Of course what you learn in school is the basic requirement for anything, vocabulary, grammar and pronounciation. Once you have a basic idea of that - it's all about applying the language to your daily life. What I did was, I put up post-its all over the house with the English word for that object. Then I started watching movies and TV series in English, eventually reading books in English. This will immensely benefit your vocabulary, feel for language and auditory comprehension.

Next up, since most of you are well, regularly active on the internet, start talking to natives! Most American/English people are very understanding when you only have so much knowledge of the English language. Even talk to people on Skype if you feel like it! The more often you do it, the more confident you get in talking that language and your skills automatically improve.
    When you've had enough of that and what to go a step further, in most of the populous countries they offer student exchanges. Apply for one of those and go to an English-speaking country or get a native speaker to live with you for a couple weeks. This has helped me the most!

Most importantly, when you talk the language, START THINKING IN THAT LANGUAGE. When you talk in a foreign language and think in your native language, you'll have to translate it all, that takes time and requires you to make unnecessary breaks in between your sentences.

Other than that, there's not much to say, really. When you see a word that you have never seen in your life - look it up on a translator, check the meaning of it in your native language and try to implement it into your daily use of the foreign language. And when you really feel up to a challenge, go into famous literature, famous poets and all that.

That's mostly how I learned English over the past say 7 years and I can proudly tell you that almost all of my lecturers (which are native speakers, all of them), were surprised about how I hardly have any accent. I sound like a native most of the time!

There are several (e-)books on learning languages efficiently, I once saw one of those but unfortunately I don't remember the name. I only know it said, if you have the smallest bit of talent and effectively apply the language into your daily life as much as possible, you can fluently speak and write a foreign language within 6-12 months.

I hope any of you can relate and/or profit from this I'm just extremely bored and now I had something to write down, hahaha.

Sincerely,
    J
    Last edited by Jolinar; 12-17-2012 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jolinar For This Useful Post:

Foxhound is offline Yo, Mr. White!
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Really nice tips you've got there. I think that you're absolutly right, if you've got a little talent and really want to learn a language, then it's no real problem. It's just the small things, try to play your favorite games in english, or watch your movies/series in english.
    You'll learn it so fast.
    And I'm glad to be here, I'm learning more and more english, that's a real advantage for me in my apprenticeship.
    Last edited by Foxhound; 12-17-2012 at 12:25 AM.

h4344 is offline Banzai!

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    English is my native language and even i dont understand half the shit people say anymore. If you choose to learn it, be ready for a serious headache.

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can only agree with Jolinar.
    When I first visit D3Scene I was a leecher and had not the slightest clue about the English language. In class I received grades that were equal to a 'E' in America (hopefully..) and yeah, if you check my very first posts.. WOW.

At some time I decided to get active all around the board (Jolinar can remember that day pretty good ) and applied the vocab to my daily life. When I got ill I had to stay at home almost 24/7 and had a lot of time to be active on D3Scene. The more often I posted here the better my English got. At some point I even started talking to people via TS or Skype just using the English language. I admit, it was a pain in the ass at the very beginning but meh, it worked out soon after

If you ever feel the need to improve your language simply follow Jolinars guideline. It gives you a good insight on how to improve, really.

IF I MADE ANY MISTAKE WITHIN THIS POST (Ohhh, I'm sure I did..), LEAVE ME ALONE! QQ

Darkhunts is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is so true. In my case im peruvian, my knowledge about english after highschool was poor, hardly could understand or speak at a decent level. English is fun (specially the jokes and abs) but I managed to learn english on chat games playing on US/EU servers (ggc, forums and other platforms). One thing that i would recomend, that particulary helped me a lot, was watching tv, because sometimes not all the people have the chance to practice english in daily/real life so I just used to watch shows, series, films (all subbed), that way u learn pronunciation (harder imo on english), new words, etc. I know this paragraph is not written whit good gramar or stuff but at least its understandable and help me to use skype/chats playing as a team or for fun.

Jolinar is offline rapid response team #1

Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Forgot to add the most important thing, hah.

Most importantly, when you talk the language, START THINKING IN THAT LANGUAGE. When you talk in a foreign language and think in your native language, you'll have to translate it all, that takes time and requires you to make unnecessary breaks in between your sentences.

Malish is offline YAH

Array
    Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Jeg kan ikke snakke Engelsk D:
    " [28-09, 00:51] Matt: I use wire brushes on my grill, she likes it."

mlstudio is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very true, good tips. Thinking in a language is a great way to learn.