View Poll Results: Should gay couples be allowed to marry?

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 48.98%
  • No

25 51.02%

Gay Marriage(US)

This is a discussion on Gay Marriage(US) within the General Chat board part of the General category; Homosexuality is a choice. Its not encoded into DNA and it's not a chromosome that decides it. Being same sex ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homosexuality is a choice. Its not encoded into DNA and it's not a chromosome that decides it. Being same sex attracted is a mental process. They might not choose to be gay but something has forced it

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    Homosexuality is a choice.
    (...)
    but something has forced it
    Do you not see the contradiction? Homosexuality is not a choice. You can't "decide" who you fall in love with, even though it has nothing to do with DNA or chromosomes or whatever. It's pretty damn simple really. Assume you're a guy and you fall in love with a girl, you're straight and you can get married. But if you fall in love with a guy, you're gay and you're not allowed to get married. You can't POSSIBLY think that makes sense in any way, shape or form, can you?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mads For This Useful Post:

Plutonium239 is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Homosexuality is a choice. Its not encoded into DNA and it's not a chromosome that decides it. Being same sex attracted is a mental process. They might not choose to be gay but something has forced it
    We all know that height can be genetic, but there is no specific gene for it. Just because there is no gene for it specifically does not mean that it is not genetic. Human sexuality is very complicated and we do not fully understand it. All studies done on this subject have indicated that homosexuality is not a choice and that they cannot choose to be attracted to the opposite sex. All those conversion therapies have been shown to cause depression and increased risk of suicide. But again, I stress that it being a choice is completely irrelevant due to the freedoms guaranteed by the US Constitution. Also, I don't understand why it bothers you so much, you wouldn't even have to be discussing this right now if everyone were being treated equally. You don't necessarily endorse homosexuality to endorse same-sex marriage. If you are for freedom, civil liberties and being treated equally under the law then you should support it. To oppose it goes against the very ideals upon which the United States was founded, individual freedom, and separation between church and state.

Safou is offline '-'

Array
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    if ur gay ur gay.. straight ur striaght. nothing wrong with either. love is love, and no1 will fully understand what love is. This thread is staying strong tho. Thanks for no flame wars *knocks on wood* to keep it going ^.^

Now to find a post of late, you have read to start this race!

Matt is offline Bott

Array
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For those that believe that procreation is the point of marriage, then infertile couples would not be allowed to marry. Ability or desire to create offspring has never been a qualification for marriage. George Washington, often referred to as "the Father of Our Country,” did not have children with his wife Martha Custis, and neither did four other married US presidents.
    What is marriage without the benefits? It's just publicly celebrating your commitment to your significant other. Why deny people the right to that?
    Denying same-sex couples the right to marry stigmatizes gay and lesbian families as inferior and sends the message that it is acceptable to discriminate against them.

@kent

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:

Plutonium239 is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, so I'm bumping this topic because I believe it deserves more discussion and input. If anyone has any further opinions or has changed their minds on this topic, it would be nice to know. I was disappointed in the DOMA ruling of the Supreme Court because they did not address the issue of the "full faith and credit clause" in the Constitution that basically says that all states must recognize court rulings and certain records. They allowed states to choose whether or not they had to recognize same-sex marriages that were issued in other states. This seems to fly in the face of the "full faith and credit clause" because that is the clause that forces states to extradite criminals back to the state in which they committed a crime or recognize regular marriages...

The clause reads as follows :
    Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Flash is offline Premium Member

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I'm really appalled by Ryan's response. That is one hateful thing to say. Why would anyone choose to receive all the hate and negativity imposed when declared a homosexual? That doesn't even remotely sound like an appealing decision. You're either born homosexual or not. It just takes time - like finding the person you love, for it to ultimately hit you. People use the argument, is a choice to become a thief or a police officer? These aren't even possibly comparisons, they are utterly different. You can't most definitely choose to be big and strong just because it's your decision.

The issue with it that it's not natural. Humans are animals and you don't see two male cats enjoying the bliss if sex. In the eyes off he lord, he supposedly created man and woman to reproduce. There is no way to reproduce if there are two of the same gender. It makeshift sense.
    I'm sorry but who's to say the "lord" is even real and not a mythical fairytale story? The same guy who created Santa Claus could've created him as well. There is no physical proof other than a bible that we still abide by thousands of years later. The Chinese believe in polytheism. Christians believe in Jesus. Who's right and who's wrong?
    Last edited by Matt; 08-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash For This Useful Post:

Safou is offline '-'

Array
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I got dis team.

This is all I have to say.
    May gays marry in peace <3.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Safou For This Useful Post:

Hallowsend is offline I wear short shorts

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see no reason why two stable, healthy homosexual individuals can't live peacefully and privately in love and potentially adopt children.

Now this relentless debate about, "gay marriage" is what confuses me. Colloquially, marriage was loosely defined as a pledged union between two persons to engage in a singular sexual & romantic relationship with one another. To me, this is what marriage is and what marriage will always be. To fight for the legality or illegality of this union based on the sexual preferences of the persons involved discredits the definition as a whole because it shows a lack of understanding for the inherent properties of a marriage. To question gay marriage is to question straight marriage is to question marriage as a whole.

A question of legality also shows too much respect towards cultural norms and a lack of respect towards colloquial marriage, love, lust and primal human instinct.

So far this has been my opinion from a philosophical and sociolinguistic standpoint. From a biological standpoint, allowing homosexuals to do as they please could solve a number of issues such as ever increasing birth defects, unsustainable fertility rates, volatile evolution and mutations, etc etc.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hallowsend For This Useful Post:

Safou is offline '-'

Array
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Our cultures are cults.
    May my soul be blessed by the spirit of hope.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast