Why is my unique d3scene.com registration email receiving spam?

This is a discussion on Why is my unique d3scene.com registration email receiving spam? within the General Chat board part of the General category; To whomever it may concern, please check your seals. You appear to have a leak. An email address used exclusively ...

namreeb is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why is my unique d3scene.com registration email receiving spam?

To whomever it may concern, please check your seals. You appear to have a leak. An email address used exclusively for registering with this site is receiving spam. The first time I noticed it is today. It was a badly crafted phishing attempt for my 'Blizzard account'.

Thank you.

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I can ensure you we never give out the email addresses of our members. Ever.
    Besides that I checked the server and couldn't seem to find any outgoing connections - only those Hendricius and I issued.

Do you by any chance browse d3scene and have cookies enabled? If so, it's easy to get your details like that. We are also running a facebook integration along with a Google search in the top. It might be either of them that grabbed your information, I can't really tell.

All I can surely say is that we have no interest in your emails. That's also the reason we do not send newsletter or anything of that kind.

namreeb is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How can other people get my email address if I keep vBulletin session key cookie for your site? I assure you that this email was not used for anything else. Believe me or don't. Personally, I don't trust sites like this not to have their databases stolen. It is the very reason I seed my emails as I've done here. Now I can simply automatically delete all emails sent to that address.