New computer

This is a discussion on New computer within the General Chat board part of the General category; Hello, fellow D3Scene members, I just got my new computer yesterday, and I thought I would share the specs and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    imajerk is offline Guru

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New computer

Hello, fellow D3Scene members,

I just got my new computer yesterday, and I thought I would share the specs and I would appreciate it if you would comment with what you think of it - I will also be posting my gear and what I will be buying relatively soon - feel free to comment about it, I would appreciate some feedback and whatnot.

Honestly, it was about time I got something new. Up until yesterday I had been using my MacBook Pro for everything, because I didn't have a desktop, and the Mac just didn't do well enough for gaming.

So, here goes...

Gear,
    Monitor: 22" ASUS VS228NE. Full HD, 1920x1080. - I will be upgrading to BenQ XL2420Z when I can afford it.
    Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate
    Mouse: Razer Mamba. - I will be getting a new Mamba when I can afford it, as this current one I have is right about 5 years old now.
    Headset: Razer Electra. - I will be upgrading to Razer Tiamat 7.1 when I can afford it.
    Mousepad: SteelSeries QcK+ FNATIC Asphalt

Computer,
    Chassis: CM Storm Scout II Advanced Black
    Motherboard: ASUS Z87-A
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K
    GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 2GB
    RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400MHz
    SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
    HDD: WD Blue 1TB
    Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V (Watercooling)
    Power Supply: XFX 650W
    Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. - Just thought I would mention it as many people seem to use Windows 8(.1) - not that I can understand why... in my opinion it sucks.

So, well, those are my specs and my gear. Any commenting or feedback is appreciated. Also, when I say feedback or comment, if you think I should have chosen something else than what I have in my build (computer), please do point it out, tell me and explain why you think something else had been better instead.

For anyone asking about fps etc... I get 450-999 fps in CSGO with low settings and 1024x768 resolution. It depends on the map, location and amount of players, but it seldom goes below 450 fps. And I tried playing Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 a few hours ago and it ran with 300+ fps on high settings and 1920x1080 resolution. I will be trying out BF3 within the next few days - going to be great actually trying to play that game with more than 25 fps (what I was used to on old laptop, never installed it on my Mac with Windows in dual-boot), especially since I have had BF3 since November 2011, lol.

Feel free to share your system as well. I'm sure there's some other thread about system posting, but I didn't want to gravedig.

Kind regards,
    imajerk

Last edited by imajerk; 06-13-2014 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Typo
    Quote Originally Posted by ORGANNER
    It's easier to reverse engineer Immunity.sys than understand girls.

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have the feeling your processor could be a bit better.
    My setup is kinda similar:

i7 440K
    same SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 770 [4GB though]
    16GB RAM

and it runs fairly fine.
    If you want to play Watch Dogs for example your GFX, processor and RAM won't be enough to play on ultra.
    You're good to go for 90% of the games though, most of them on ultra even.

Depending on what cooler you're using for your processor (I can only recommend Corsair(water-cooling system)) i5's are very, VERY good for overclocking purposes so you can kind of reach an i7.

imajerk is offline Guru

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracky View Post
    I have the feeling your processor could be a bit better.
    My setup is kinda similar:

i7 440K
    same SSD
    1TB HDD
    GTX 770 [4GB though]
    16GB RAM

and it runs fairly fine.
    If you want to play Watch Dogs for example your GFX, processor and RAM won't be enough to play on ultra.
    You're good to go for 90% of the games though, most of them on ultra even.

Depending on what cooler you're using for your processor (I can only recommend Corsair(water-cooling system)) i5's are very, VERY good for overclocking purposes so you can kind of reach an i7.
    Thanks for your reply, Tracky! It's great to see something going on in here.

Yeah, the processor could have been better, but then again, I am not going to do any 3D or editing work which is where Intel Core i7 is best. I have heard and read about that the Intel Core i5-4670K (the one I have) should be the best for gaming - when it's 'just' gaming and not really much/anything else than that. However, of course the Intel Core i7 processors are better - thanks for the tip, perhaps I will over time, or when needed, upgrade to the Intel Core i7-4770K.

You have a nice setup as well. I have thought about adding another 8GB of ram, so that I will have 16GB ram of 2400MHz. But that is for the future for now.

I am doing to try Watch_Dogs tonight or tomorrow (there's a chance I need to go to the hospital tonight - left eye is being a bitch...), but I will not be playing on ultra at all. I prefer fps over quality - that being said, I'm not looking for Minecraft/8-bit games graphics, I just prefer fps over quality, which in my world means that I will rather play on low or medium. But once again, thanks for the tip, it's appreciated!

Yeah, all of the games I have played so far I have been able to actually play on high settings and 1920x1080 resolution with like 300+ fps. That's not bad at all.

I did post what cooler I have - look in the first post again, or I can just tell you again; Cooler Master Seidon 120V (it is watercooling). However that being said, I am not looking to overclock - not now anyway, perhaps my opinion about that will change if needed for a game!

Thanks for the reply!

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Before you think of getting an i7 you SHOULD try overclocking first - it shouldn't be much of a problem with your cooling system and will save you big money.
    The cooling you're using is very similar to mine, however, I decided on a bigger radiator (it has the space to cover two 16MM fans).

imajerk is offline Guru

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before you think of getting an i7 you SHOULD try overclocking first - it shouldn't be much of a problem with your cooling system and will save you big money.
    The cooling you're using is very similar to mine, however, I decided on a bigger radiator (it has the space to cover two 16MM fans).
    Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't be getting an i7 processor anytime soon anyway as I am more than happy with my system - I can play any game I want to and that's what matters. But should it become a necessity then I will eventually upgrade it to an i7 processor.

What cooler do you have, if you do not mind me asking?

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by imajerk View Post
    Thanks for the advice! I wouldn't be getting an i7 processor anytime soon anyway as I am more than happy with my system - I can play any game I want to and that's what matters. But should it become a necessity then I will eventually upgrade it to an i7 processor.

What cooler do you have, if you do not mind me asking?
    Corsair h100i with PULL configuration.
    I may for for a PUSH/PULL config somewhen in the future but I am not entirely sure about that. From what I've seen it's not THAT much of a difference and so far not required anyways.

Processor and GFX heat up to ~60°C when playing WatchDogs on ULTRA. Also remember I am running 3x1920x1080

imajerk is offline Guru

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Corsair h100i with PULL configuration.
    I may for for a PUSH/PULL config somewhen in the future but I am not entirely sure about that. From what I've seen it's not THAT much of a difference and so far not required anyways.

Processor and GFX heat up to ~60°C when playing WatchDogs on ULTRA. Also remember I am running 3x1920x1080
    I have heard that is a pretty decent cooler. I will be keeping that in mind for whenever I should need an upgrade in the future.

Wow, ultra and 3 x 1920x1080 that is amazing and beyond what I would ever do... I don't even like two monitors that well, but three? Damn.

CrazyCop is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no point what so ever to get a i7 over an i5 if you only want to play computer games. The i5 is optimized for single-threaded tasks (games), and i7 is optimized for multi-threaded tasks. Now i'm talking about price/performance ofc.
    Lurking......

Menalix is offline Banned User
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice build I dislike those two choices though:

1. Cooler Master Seidon 120V
    Well there is normal air coolers which is much better, like Phantek's and Noctua's I have myself the Phantek one, swapped my Corsair H100i out with it, cause those passive water coolers just sux from my experience, they take to much space with the radiator and doesn't beat the good air coolers and are more expensive, and in some cases they mess up the airflow so the GFX suffer from it.

2. Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400MHz:
    Here I'm like: WHAT YOU DOING, the:
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V is not so much a big of a deal, it's also a kind of personal matter I think.
    But you bought 8 GB 2400MHz over 16GB 1600MHz.
    You should know the RAM frequency, does not give you any advantage, it did 4-6 years ago, but not anymore because the fast memory operations which needs the high frequency is now done by the CPU because their cache level has become so high. So it's like paying extra for nothing, while 16GB would have given you something atleast you could use if you wanted by opening up a shit load of applications.

Here's my build btw:
    Intel Core i7-4770k (Phantek Cooler PH-TC14PE with Corsair fans)
    MSI Nvidia GTX580 <- Old card, but I rarely play, I mostly use my pc for coding or photography/film editting.
    Corsair Force GS 120GB x2 (Raid0) <- SSD speed is great, but in Raid0 you cum on first experience.
    Corsair Carbide 400R <- Love it's possible to grab it easy with the hands.
    Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 32GB <- I love using Virtual Harddrives based on the RAM speed for Virtual PC, that's why I got 32GB.

I'm a corsair fan btw ^^ so I really hated that I had to swap out the Corsair H100i haha, it looked beautiful.
    My computer is made in a black finish, with small white parts and white back lighted, looks simplestic and just beautiful.

Last edited by Menalix; 06-14-2014 at 03:44 PM.

nviii is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Menalix View Post
    Nice build I dislike those two choices though:

1. Cooler Master Seidon 120V
    Well there is normal air coolers which is much better, like Phantek's and Noctua's I have myself the Phantek one, swapped my Corsair H100i out with it, cause those passive water coolers just sux from my experience, they take to much space with the radiator and doesn't beat the good air coolers and are more expensive, and in some cases they mess up the airflow so the GFX suffer from it.

2. Kingston HyperX Beast 8GB 2400MHz:
    Here I'm like: WHAT YOU DOING, the:
    Cooler Master Seidon 120V is not so much a big of a deal, it's also a kind of personal matter I think.
    But you bought 8 GB 2400MHz over 16GB 1600MHz.
    You should know the RAM frequency, does not give you any advantage, it did 4-6 years ago, but not anymore because the fast memory operations which needs the high frequency is now done by the CPU because their cache level has become so high. So it's like paying extra for nothing, while 16GB would have given you something atleast you could use if you wanted by opening up a shit load of applications.

Here's my build btw:
    Intel Core i7-4770k (Phantek Cooler PH-TC14PE with Corsair fans)
    MSI Nvidia GTX580 <- Old card, but I rarely play, I mostly use my pc for coding or photography/film editting.
    Corsair Force GS 120GB x2 (Raid0) <- SSD speed is great, but in Raid0 you cum on first experience.
    Corsair Carbide 400R <- Love it's possible to grab it easy with the hands.
    Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz 32GB <- I love using Virtual Harddrives based on the RAM speed for Virtual PC, that's why I got 32GB.

I'm a corsair fan btw ^^ so I really hated that I had to swap out the Corsair H100i haha, it looked beautiful, my computer is made with a black finish, every part is black, except for SSD's and then everything is white backlighted.

completely agree with this to be honest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast