Any reason to play HoN when I can Play DotA 2?

This is a discussion on Any reason to play HoN when I can Play DotA 2? within the Heroes of Newerth forum board part of the Hot Games category; Originally Posted by Darchrow Tried HoN and LoL once but always returned to DotA . It's definitely the oldest game ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Flash is offline Premium Member

Array
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Darchrow View Post
    Tried HoN and LoL once but always returned to DotA. It's definitely the oldest game of all of them and has not the features like anti-maphack, anti-leaver and a pointsystem. But there is still a chance to play on a league such as DotaCash where you get banned for leaving or if you broke a rule. Furthermore you have a ranking system there, even if I think that ELO is purely bullshit though. Should be TSR only.
    I'm addicted to DotA and will stay at it as long as there are active players. But especially on DotaCash it really pisses me off to see half of the 'good' players are maphackers, all that trashtalk there and all the leavers and game-thrower. It's quite funny to see all those guys who flamed to me I'm 'garbage', 'trash' or a 'noob' on the banlist for being a maphacker. It's a generally problem that the team starts to blame each other when something didn't work how they thought it should.
    I'm a huge cheater in DotAcash. Me and Elite trade each other gold all the time . If you play on East, add me. I don't play without maphack much but I'm still way above average. My K/D is around 3 and without it I usually hit 2.

kevel1 is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dota2 is free.

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean Spray View Post
    Well I just stated LoL is a noob game because I've played DotA 2 and it's a much more challenging game. The players all originated playing DotA. LoL is a great game, I love playing it with my friends and all but the game itself has a lot of work to do. The system is enjoyable and there are always updates; can't argue with that.

I'm not sure how available DotA 2 is. I just got 6 keys from a friend who happened to have plenty of them. If I can't sell them within this week, I'll try to give at least 2 of them away. I do however believe LoL will still stand victorious over DotA 2. The players enjoy it and DotA 2 also requires better specs to actually enjoy the game without lagging.

Great post Mads, definitely true. I'm still going to play LoL but if DotA 2 can give me a reason, e.g. A good communication system, anti-maphack, purchasable content, and perhaps an ELO system such as DotACash. Could also use different maps, new modes, and all that good stuff that Warcraft III DotA should have.
    Dota2 already have a good communication system in-game (voice communication via mic) and outside the game (Steam). To my knowledge there are no maphacks currently, and certainly not any public ones. You can purchase lots of content for most heroes at this point, with more being added by Valve and the community. ELO (or MMR if you're from HoN) is already implemented, though it is hidden from the players at this point. But it's definitely there. I'm sure new modes will come once everything from DotA is imported correctly, but that's their #1 priority right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darchrow View Post
    Tried HoN and LoL once but always returned to DotA. It's definitely the oldest game of all of them and has not the features like anti-maphack, anti-leaver and a pointsystem. But there is still a chance to play on a league such as DotaCash where you get banned for leaving or if you broke a rule. Furthermore you have a ranking system there, even if I think that ELO is purely bullshit though. Should be TSR only.
    I'm addicted to DotA and will stay at it as long as there are active players. But especially on DotaCash it really pisses me off to see half of the 'good' players are maphackers, all that trashtalk there and all the leavers and game-thrower. It's quite funny to see all those guys who flamed to me I'm 'garbage', 'trash' or a 'noob' on the banlist for being a maphacker. It's a generally problem that the team starts to blame each other when something didn't work how they thought it should.
    First of all, if you're a huge fan of DotA you should at least try Dota2. It is practically DotA except it fixes all or most of the issues you just described. PM me your Steam name if you'd like an invite.

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    I've to say that from my experience I didn't like DotA 2 when I played it for the first time.
    DotA is awesome and I still LOVE to play it once in a while (I just hate the [email protected] - So only possibility to enjoy playing is to play in a league) but I feel DotA 2 being a bit slower in reference to the gameplay itself.
    I might be wrong and things might've changed since when I first played DotA 2 (Long time ago already..) but it was my first impression.

LoL - Well, I hate that game to be honest. I don't like the graphics and the fact I can not deny my own creeps - That makes me QQ.
    But as you said, the game is designed for casual players and I think the game itself perfectly fits to these standards.

HoN - For me it's the best one. Sure, I stopped playing it actively but that's because of the lack of time and the community itself (Most of the 'casual' players (1600-1750MMR) are just immature and not friendly at all).
    Other than that, the graphics are awesome, the gameplay is pure fun and is related to DotA quite a lot plus S2Games are constantly adding Heroes and Items every now and then.
    Only thing I dislike is that they are trying to make money off of everything (e.g. skins, early-access-heroes, ...) - It's like you're playing in between a huge advertisement.

Just my two cents.
    I don't mind if people rather play DotA2, DotA, HoN or LoL.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Tracky, if you're referring to the delay that Dota2 had when it was still very closed beta (about a year ago), then yeah, it's been fixed. If I wasn't a huge fan of HoN I'm sure I'd play Dota2 full time. I really can't see any reason as to why someone would prefer DotA over Dota2 - It is the exact same gameplay, the exact same heroes (minus 10 or so that hasn't been added yet) the only difference is that Dota2 fixes ALL the problems that DotA have: Delays, matchmaking, ranking, statistics, leavers, maphack protection, voice communication, hotkeys (maybe this is just me, but I could never stand having to learn different hotkeys for 110+ heroes) and so forth.

Yeah some of those issues can be fixed with other tools such as leagues, hostbots, banning and customkeys, but why would you go through all that trouble when you can have it all in one big package - which, on top of that, is supported by Valve and Steam. And has better graphics because it's not running on an 8 year old engine that has never been updated.

Buckizle is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to play dota2 but because im aussie and they dont have any dedicated servers to us its so hard to play on 250~ ping... But also im so comfortable to HoN that i think it will be hard to make the change.

later141 is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no need to grave dig this

Mookz is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heroes of Newerth definitely has the best gaming engine among the three big Moba's out there. Its smooth, and everything is accurate. As for League, as most people say, it is a bit more casual. There's less things to worry about, its sharply heroes on heroes. Aside from bushes, there's no real system of juking, the terrain is concrete, and the spells themselves aren't as flexible as the HoN/Dota heroes. Dota2 is getting there, but its still very different from HoN in terms of smoothness and being user-friendly.

I play HoN professionally, currently diamond bracket in Hontour, and have tried all three moba's at some point. Sticking with Hon, even though it has the smallest competitive scene at the moment for the gameplay

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mookz View Post
    Heroes of Newerth definitely has the best gaming engine among the three big Moba's out there. Its smooth, and everything is accurate. As for League, as most people say, it is a bit more casual. There's less things to worry about, its sharply heroes on heroes. Aside from bushes, there's no real system of juking, the terrain is concrete, and the spells themselves aren't as flexible as the HoN/Dota heroes. Dota2 is getting there, but its still very different from HoN in terms of smoothness and being user-friendly.

I play HoN professionally, currently diamond bracket in Hontour, and have tried all three moba's at some point. Sticking with Hon, even though it has the smallest competitive scene at the moment for the gameplay
    Pretty much this

HoN just seems so smooth compared to any of the other games, which is why I can keep playing it for hours on end, whereas I always get tired of Dota2 after a few games because it just feels slower when you're used to HoN. I really hope HoNTour doesn't disappoint in the long run, since it will attract more players / sponsors and motivate teams to focus on competing in HoN. I realize it won't be able to compete with LoL or Dota2 in terms of size and price money, but I just really wish for the game to succeed on a competitive level.

Mookz is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mads View Post
    Pretty much this

HoN just seems so smooth compared to any of the other games, which is why I can keep playing it for hours on end, whereas I always get tired of Dota2 after a few games because it just feels slower when you're used to HoN. I really hope HoNTour doesn't disappoint in the long run, since it will attract more players / sponsors and motivate teams to focus on competing in HoN. I realize it won't be able to compete with LoL or Dota2 in terms of size and price money, but I just really wish for the game to succeed on a competitive level.
    Well, honcast is definitely getting more viewers, but its still a far cry from what League/Dota2 recieves. But I'm with you there. Wish the scene was bigger

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast