Tip of the Week #1: Steamboots

This is a discussion on Tip of the Week #1: Steamboots within the Heroes of Newerth Guides board part of the Heroes of Newerth forum category; Hello guys, I haven't been writing contributing guides for quite some time, so I'm gonna try this and see how ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tip of the Week #1: Steamboots

Hello guys, I haven't been writing contributing guides for quite some time, so I'm gonna try this and see how it works.
    First off, I play A LOT of HoN. Like really much. As a result of this, I play on a high level with a lot of experience and knowledge. I thought that I might do a small "Tip of the Week" -thing where I will give out tips to help people get better and learn new tricks. I do this because I find it boring to just write hero guides, I'd rather write about some of the "special" tricks and things that not everybody knows/does. I'm not gonna limit it to once a week, depends on when I have time and when I am inspired to write something. I also do this to actually find out how many active HoN players we have.

So, with that out of the way, in this thread I will talk about Steamboots and utilizing them properly.

So, to sum it up:
    Steamboots costs 1450 gold, and they consist of Marchers (500g), Gloves of the Swift (500g) and one of the +6 Stat items (Apprentices robe, +6int. Bolstering Armband, +6str. Fleetfeet,+6agi.) (450g) --> either of them works, which means that you can finish your steamboots at the outpost by buying an apprentice robe! together with the other 2 items.

Alright. Steamboots gives +60 Movement speed, a toggeable +10 stat bonus, as well as 15 attack speed. What I will focus on today, is to utilize the toggle ability. Because being able to switch between the attributes can be VERY handy in certain situations.
    The sequence in which attribute you receive, is like this:
    Strength
    Agility
    Intelligence
    SAI

Now, you have probably all experienced dying to that final auto attack. You have all felt the "damn, if I had 20 more HP I woulda lived". This is easily achievable by toggling your Steamboots to Strength.

You have probably all experienced being in a situation where you needed 10 mana to get that last spell off to kill the enemy. Easy, toggle your Steamboots to Intelligence.

While switching to agility doesn't provide health or mana, it makes your able to regen a tiny bit more (around 12 health I think, cant be arsed to do the math) per bottle charge you use. So just by toggling your boots to agility before using your bottle, you regen a tiny bit more (not a lot, but then again, there is no reason NOT to do it if you are just running around without any enemies nearby)

Another note: Toggle your boots to intelligence when you are nuking creeps with, say, Soulstealer, because you will have a bit more max mana which results in having more mana after using your ability as well than you would normally.

Another note: always have your boots on Strength when running around wildly without knowing your enemies position (more health if pebbles jumps you can save the day)

Another note: having the boots on Strength gives more HP regen, and having them on Intelligence gives more MANA regen.

Alright, some of you might be thinking if this is actually useful and/or worth doing, and yes, it is. It might not seem worth the trouble, but I promise you, you will feel great when you survive with 5 hp because you toggled your boots. It's pretty useless lategame though.

aight that's it for the first tip of the week. Hope you enjoyed.

TL;DR: toggle your steamboots to fit your needs depending on the situation.

-Zo8.
    Last edited by Mads; 04-30-2011 at 06:24 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mads For This Useful Post:

SW_yeta is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always tho INT steamboots give more mana on bottles instead of AGI >.>

Credits to eZ]aCx <3

Lightnin_Ztruck is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im not a HoN player anymore i play DotA but i do understand your reasoning but seriously you should'nt be foucused on changing stats and have ur hotkeys ready and waiting. so if ur soulstealer u should have invis or portal key ready w/e build ur doing shunkin head ect... but u always have a better option than changing steamboots? 10 str will give u 250hp with no dmg but with dmg it varies same with int... although i think 10 int prob give u half the amount of str. its never a good idea to focus on 1 item although u make a good point with that last amount of hp u need for that last auto attack you should never be in a situation where u rely on ur boots that much. and pebbles does what 600~800 nuke dmg? thats like early early hp which you might not even have boots by then and he might not even have a portal key. good idea but maybe try make ur tip of the week something like juking and keeping close to trees/fog when being chased

Kaskame is offline d(-_-)b

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightnin_Ztruck View Post
    Im not a HoN player anymore i play DotA but i do understand your reasoning but seriously you should'nt be foucused on changing stats and have ur hotkeys ready and waiting. so if ur soulstealer u should have invis or portal key ready w/e build ur doing shunkin head ect... but u always have a better option than changing steamboots? 10 str will give u 250hp with no dmg but with dmg it varies same with int... although i think 10 int prob give u half the amount of str. its never a good idea to focus on 1 item although u make a good point with that last amount of hp u need for that last auto attack you should never be in a situation where u rely on ur boots that much. and pebbles does what 600~800 nuke dmg? thats like early early hp which you might not even have boots by then and he might not even have a portal key. good idea but maybe try make ur tip of the week something like juking and keeping close to trees/fog when being chased
    Trololol?

Dude, you know what is multi-tasking? I lol'd...

Anyways this thread is like oooooold, nice bumpy :P

Lightnin_Ztruck is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaskame View Post
    Trololol?

Dude, you know what is multi-tasking? I lol'd...

Anyways this thread is like oooooold, nice bumpy :P
    u cant click ur boots and use hotkeys at same time... time is a precious thing use it wisely

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to implement boot toggling into your play style, it will become second nature and you wont even realize or think about that you are doing it, you just do it. I can easily toggle my boots (ALT+W) and then portal key (ALT+Q) almost at the same time, it really isn't hard. If you find it hard to do / removing your focus from other important stuff, then simply dont do it. It's just a luxury for people who can handle more than one thing at the same time.

Dates is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightnin_Ztruck View Post
    Im not a HoN player anymore i play DotA .....

dude you are dumb as shit if you cant set up your hotkeys to give you at least 3 buttons for items slots also their is the alt+key method i personally have f first item slot g is the 2nd and d is the 3rd i rarely need more than that and this steam boots toggle idea is used by all the best players its useful with sac stone also

Zo8 have you dont any more tips of the week??

klohim is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scrubs on these forums when it comes to advanced hon

doorman17 is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cool ^_^

Menia is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just one of those minor tweaks that can save the day. Useful info, thank you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast