Modifications for Heroes of Newerth

This is a discussion on Modifications for Heroes of Newerth within the Heroes of Newerth Tools board part of the Heroes of Newerth forum category; D3Scene's version of the Modification Repository Table of Content: 1. ResourcesXXX.s2z 2. Third party software 3. *.honmod 4. How to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Modifications for Heroes of Newerth

D3Scene's version of the Modification Repository

Table of Content:
    1. ResourcesXXX.s2z
    2. Third party software
    3. *.honmod
    4. How to install mods
    5. Third party softwares
    6. How to make a simple mod
    7. How to make a .honmod file

In this thread I will help you to how you can mod your Heroes of Newerth. Just to tell you, this whole guide is entirely written by me (XplittR). Only links and the code further down have been copied.

First off all, there are two (three) types of mods out right now. There are actually just two types, but there is a third type that makes one of the others easier, just keep reading and you will understand.

The three types:
    1. resourcesXXX.s2z
    2. Third party software
    3. *.honmod

So let's go into each of these in detail. Don't care? Skip to the next post.

1. ResourcesXXX.s2z

1.1 Where to begin?
    If you go into your Heroes of Newerth folder, you should see a folder called "game". Full path should be something like "C:\Program Files\Heroes of Newerth\game\". This path may vary from operative systems, but I will take starting point in Microsoft's OS.
    Here you will see files such as "game.dll", "resources0.s2z" and "textures.s2z".

1.2 The .s2z files
    Have you ever seen a .s2z file before? No? Well, don't get scared, because it is only a renamed .zip archive. So if you have 7-zip or WinRAR or another similar program, then you can set Windows to open these files in your archive-program, and you will be able to open the files as a normal .zip or .rar.

1.3 resources0.s2z, the master file
    Inside resources0.s2z the most of the code for the game lies, such as the effects and sounds from the heroes, item-icons and the ui(user interface) and probably everything that is client-side.

1.4 How does the game work
    When you start the game, it wil load all "resourcesXXX.s2z", starting from the lowest number (0), and working it's way upwards. If I make a mod, I would name it to the next number (resources1.s2z, then resources2.s2z and keep going upwards). Inside this zip-folder I would put MY files, the ones I would like to edit. For it to work, I would have to open the "resources0.s2z" and copy the file that contains the code I want to edit (You have to open the file yourself, to see what I am talking about, as it is kind of hard to explain), then make a new .s2z file with it, and this new file will override the original one.

1.5 Summary
    With this method you will be able to edit small things, and change ui and etc., but it takes some time to mod, and each time a new patch comes out, you will have to fix it. A better way to edit these files is .honmod, which we will get back to soon.

2. Third party software

2.1 What is this?
    Third party software are stand-alone programs that works in a totally other way. In contrast to the .s2z files, these programs are not necessarily dependent on the files that lies in the /game/ folder.

2.2 How does these work?
    The third party softwares may interfere with your game in several ways. To help you understand it, I will demonstrate it with an example: The famous maphack!

A maphack removes the Fog of War, and may also contain features as revealing invisible units, and showing which of the 3 Hammerstorms is the real one, and which is illusions. It might also zoom your camera further out. A maphack might work by changing the game state in memory or software, or intercepting/manipulating data in real-time.

2.3 Summary
    Using a third party software might get unfair advantages over other players, in contrast to the .s2z-files. Such softwares usually violates the EULA (End-User Licence Agreement), though there also exists legal programs that do not violate the EULA.

3. *.honmod

3.1 Why even one more mod-option?
    As the mod-creators used so much time on editing and reuploading the mods for each patch, a user called MaxGhost from the HoN-forums made a program that will make it easier to update the mods.

3.2 How does this work?
    His program will automaticly create a "resources999.s2z" for you, so it will override all other mods if they edit the same file, and when you mod, you do not have to do everything over again whenever a patch comes out, though you may need to fix some bugs etc.

3.3 The .honmod files
    .honmod files are scary too you say? Well fear no more! .honmod files are simply renamed zip-archives like the .s2z-files! Inside a .honmod you will find atleast 2 files; An icon.png and mod.xml, though there may be even more files. The mod.xml contains what files in the resources0.s2z should be edited, and where, and this will make it compatible even after a new patch has been released! We will come back to more of this when I will teach you on how to make simple mods.

3.4 Summary
    By using .honmod-files both using and updating mods become easier. How? If you use several mods and you use the .s2z-way, you would have to combine your mods by yourself. If you are updating your mods, you would have to keep a record of what you have been editing, and then when a patch is released you would have to make the file over again, and fix the bugs afterwards. By using the .honmod-way, as a user, you simply have to copy your files to a folder, and activate them using the HoN Modification Manager. As a modder, you would not make separate files, but write in a file what you want to edit, and where.
    Last edited by XplittR; 01-01-2010 at 08:36 PM.

Hawt.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XplittR For This Useful Post:

XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so now you know what kinds of mods exist, so now you want to start using them?

4. How to install mods

I will advice you to not start with .s2z files, as most people have moved on to .honmod, as it is a lot easier both for the modders, and the users.

4.1 Where to find the mods?
    UI-mods:
    - [ame="http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=39852"]honmod[/ame]

- [ame="http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=39386"]s2z[/ame]

Customizations:
    - [ame="http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=39387"]s2z[/ame] (No need for .honmod here, as this should not change when a new patch comes out, because it only changes the graphics, not code)

4.2 How to set up HoN Modification Manager
    To use .honmod files you need [ame="http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/showthread.php?t=25883"]HoN Modification Manager[/ame] (HoN ModMan from now). To use it, you need .NET 2.0 (3.5 does not replace 2.0, you need 2.0 explicit). When you first open it (with Vista or Windows 7 with UAC enabled, make sure to run as administrator), make sure HoN is not open, and click Options -> "Change HoN path..." or "Enter Hon path manually...". Here, you would like to target the main HoN folder, which normally is "C:\Program Files\Heroes of Newerth\". You are not supposed to target the \game\ folder, or the HoN folder that resides in My Documents (This one is for screenshots and etc.). If you use Mac or Linux, you would have to visit the official thread to get more support.

4.3 How to use HoN Modification Manager
    Using HoN ModMan is really simple. When you have set it up correctly, you can simply drag and drop the .honmod files into the program! When you do, the file will be copied to you "Heroes of Newerth\game\mods" folder (which just got created). If you for some reason can't drag and drop the files over to the program, you can copy/paste your files to the folder that i just mentioned, and re-open HoN ModMan.

When you have managed to get your mods into the HoN ModMan, you have to click File -> Apply mods, or use the shortcut: Ctrl + S. If you do not do this, you do not activate the mods. When you apply the mods, the program will create a resources999.s2z file for you, and place it in the right place for you. Now you can close HoN ModMan (it does not need to be open when you play), and start HoN. I advise you to start a game in practice mode to configure your mods.

5. Third party softwares

Discontiniued...

Last edited by XplittR; 10-22-2010 at 01:40 PM.

Hawt.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XplittR For This Useful Post:

XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How to make a simple mod

Okay, now you know how mods work (basics), and where to get and use them. Now, it is time to let you know how to make your own simple mods. I am not an expert at this area, so if you need support, you should ask someone at the [ame="http://forums.heroesofnewerth.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18"]official forums[/ame].

6. A button to ask the host to lock you and your friend(s).
    So what I will explain to you now, is how to make a button in the game lobby, so that if you press it, you will automatically write a pre-set text into the chatbox (Example: "Can you lock me and Stroh please?").

6.1 Cleaning up
    For starters, get rid of all your mods. To do this, you may want to take a backup of your mods, and then delete all your resourcesXXX.s2z (exept resources0.s2z!).

6.2 Necessary programs //Not done
    Now you need to get the necessary programs:
    1. Notepad++
    2. An extractor-program, such as 7-zip or WinRAR.
    (3. Compare plug-in for Notepad++)

6.3 To install the plugin
    To install the plugin, you simply copy the .dll file into "C:\Program Files\Notepad++\plugins". Nothing more to say here. If you use Linux or Max, I do not know what you have to do.

6.4 Backing up
    Now I want you to take a backup of "resources0.s2z". Why? Because you knever know when you make a mistake and suddenly edit the wrong file. Simply copy/paste it to somewhere safe.

6.5 Getting ready
    Now you need to find out what you want to edit. I want to edit the UI in the game lobby, so what I do now, is that I open the resources0.s2z in WinRAR/7-zip, and there I will be met with a lot of folders, such as buildings, core, heroes, items and ui. As I said I want to edit the UI, so I would want to open the folder named the same. On my screen, I now have 5 folders, and a lot of files named "*.package" or "*.interface". Here is where you need to find out which file you want to edit. As I wanted to edit the game lobby, game_lobby.interface would be perfect for me. I will now extract this to "Heroes of Newerth\game\ui\". Don't you have a \ui\ folder? No worries, just make one!

6.6 Assessing whether or not this is going to be a simple mod
    You should now concider if you are going to make a simple or more complex mod. If you want to make a more complex mod, you should make an external file, but if you want it to stay simple, you can stick to editing the main file(In this example, game_lobby.interface). For this mod, we will start by making it a simple mod, then extend it a little bit.

6.7 Making the mod
    Open the game_lobby.interface that you just extracted with Notepad++. What we want to do now, is to create a panel in the correct place. I want my button to be just above the chat, and to the left. What I do now, is find the most suitable place in the game_lobby.interface to place my code. I find that to be under "<!-- Chat -->". I know that they have defined the "<!-- Chat -->"-area to be just what we see as the chat, but that does not prevent me for making a button outside that area.

I scroll to the bottom of the chat-code, and add my code as following:
    Code:
            <!-- LOCK HOENHEIM BUTTON!-->
            <panel color="invisible" x="8h" y="-2h" height="3h" width="3h" name="chat_lockh_panel" >
                <image texture="/ui/lockh/LH.tga"/>
                <button
                texture="/ui/elements/button_bevel.tga"
                    onclick="AllChat('Can you lock me ([D3S]XplittR) and [D3S]Hoenheim please? :)');"
                    onrightclick="AllChat('Pretty Please? :)');"
                />
            </panel>
    Now I am going to explain this code line by line(in detail):
    1. When you have a <!-- SomethingSomething -->, it means that it is a comment. This has no effect on the code, and is only used for easier detection of code. So by adding this, I can look into my game_lobby.interface and find this quick if I want to edit it.
    2. Okay, here the code starts:
    The panel-code says that I want to create a panel.
    The color="invisible"-code is there so that I can have my own graphics, instead of a black box.
    The x=- and y=-code simply states where the panel is going to be. This is defined from the top-left of the chatbox.
    The height=- and width=-code states how big the panel is going to be. Simple right? Notice that you need to have an "h" after the numer you chose. The number does not need to be an integer, nor a positive number.
    The name="chat_lockh_panel"-code gives my new panel a name, so that I can refer back to it if needed.
    3. This line imports my pre-made graphics, by telling it where it can be found. The size of the graphics is not needed to be 100% of the wanted size, as you set the size via the code in line 2. Notice that the file format of the graphic is targa(.tga). Most programs can save as targa, but Microsoft Paint can't.
    4. Not much to say. Makes my panel a button, which is clickable.
    5. Now we add a texture to the button. If we do not do this, we will get a grey box, and we do not want that. Grey boxes are ugly, and green boxes are awesome! Instead of button_bevel.tga I could have used button_roundhl.tga, but then I would have gotten a white sircle with low opaticy over my graphic.
    6. This line sets what is going to happen when I click the button. I could have made another autobalance-button, but I want it to type something to everyone (If I am not on the same team as the host, or havent joined a team yet, the host cannot read what I write if it only goes to the team).
    The onclick=""-code is there to set what is going to happen.
    The AllChat(' ');-code is there to make everything I write between the apostrophes be written in the AllChat. AllChat is a global function.
    7. Same thing as above, just with onrightclick="" instead, and the code itself is pretty self-explanatory.
    8. Not much to say at all. Ends the <button> tag.
    9. Not much to say here neither. Ends the <panel> tag.

6.8 Configuring
    If you save your file now (With your own graphic, panel-name and text) You can start HoN, and create a practice-game. You should then see your button just above the chat. You might have to configure the size of the button and the coordinates to fit your resolution.

6.9 Congratulations!
    Congratulations! You have now made your first simple .s2z mod!
    Oops? Did you just make an .s2z mod? Haven't I just told you the whole way that we do not like .s2z, but prefer .honmod? Do not fear! .s2z is the easiest way to go when you are going to make a mod. .honmod is the best for updating it. So now you may want to make it into a .homod file? If you now want to make this file into a .honmod-file, then check chapter 7 in this post!
    Last edited by XplittR; 12-20-2009 at 11:42 PM.

Hawt.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XplittR For This Useful Post:

XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    7. How to turn your .s2z mod into a .honmod mod
    Okay, for this part, I assume that you have made you .s2z mod already. This part will explain to you how to turn it into a .honmod file,

7.1 Necessary programs
    Okay, for this part, you will need all three tools from 6.2. The most important is number 3, the comparison plugin for Notepad++. So if you don't have this plugin installed already, go ahead and do it now.

7.2 Finding the differences
    What you want to do now, is to extract the same files that you have been modifying, from the resources0.s2z. Now you should have two of every file that you would like to edit (one original and one edited). In my example, that is "game_lobby.interface". I will now open up both in Notepad++ (as two tabs), and then click Plugins -> Compare -> Compare. Then I can easily find what lines are not matching. Now I have to find out if I have been editing the original content, or added new content (This part is important).

7.3 Starting with the mod.xml
    What I want to do now, is create a mod.xml file. This should not be hard to do at all. Now fill this with the following info:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
        application="Heroes of Newerth"
        appversion="-0.2.*"
        mmversion="1.1"
        name="The Mod's Name"
        version="1.0"
        description="blahblahblah"
        author="Your Nickname"
        weblink="http://www.com/"
    >

</modification>
    Now this should be edited as you like. The only thing you should edit here is the name, version, description, author and weblink. The rest should be as it is.

7.4 Continiuing on the mod.xml
    Now we have the basic info in the mod.xml file, and we should now extend it. Now we have to remember what we did in 7.2. In my example we added content to the original.

In between the modification tags we can now add the following tags (you can add as many of these tags as many times as you want, and you do not have to include them at all, if you do not need certain tags).

7.5 The incompatibility tag
    Code:
    <incompatibility name="Other mod" version="1.0-1.4" />
    This tag is needed if your mod does not work with other mods. An example is TinyUI, which interferes with many mods, making them not work as they should. Note that several mods can edit the same file and still be compatible with each other. It's just if they edit the same part of the same file that they will be incompatibile with eachother.

7.6 The requirement tag
    Code:
    <requirement name="Other mod" version="2.5.1-*" />
    This tag is needed if your mod is a mod of a mod. An example here is the "add-on for colored K/D/A " for the mod "Another Scoreboard Mod by Lowboll". Only add this tag if you require another mod to be enabled at the same time for your mod to work.

7.7 The copyfile tag
    Code:
    <copyfile name="path1" source="path2" overwrite="newer" version="1.0" />
    This tag will allow you to copy files, such as custom packages. This should only be used if you actually use .package files for your mod. If you want to see an example, then have a look at Bards UI. We do not use this in the simple mod example that I made.
    This tag has some customization options: name, source and overwrite
    If "path2" is not specified the file "path1" is copied, if it is, "path2" is copied and renamed to "path1".
    overwrite specifies a controlled behaviour in case the target file already exists:
    "yes" -> target file is overwritten
    "no" -> target file is left as is
    "newer" -> target file is overwritten if its version is lower than the one specified by the version attribute.

7.8 The editfile tag
    Code:
    <editfile name="path">
    </editfile>
    This tag has a starting- and a closing-tag. This means that we have to insert more code between here. We have to set one variable though! In my simple mod we only edit the "ui/game_lobby.interface", so we only need one of these tags. Our tag should then be:
    Code:
    <editfile name="ui/game_lobby.interface">
    </editfile>
    The editfile-tag does a serie of commands, and we will have to find, replace, insert or delete code in order to change it. In my simple mod I will only insert new code, so I will not use the replace, nor the delete tags, but I will exaplin them to you anyways.

7.9 The find tag
    Code:
    <find>
    </find>
    This tag will find a certain phrase in the file that you are editing (set in the editfile-tag). In my example I want to find some code before my code, so it will put the "cursor" after the selected phrase.
    In my example I want to find the phrase "<instance name="generic_tooltip_floater" tip_id="balance_lock_tooltip" align="right" x="-0.5h" title="game_lobby_locksave" label="game_lobby_lock_tip_label" />", as this is listed just before where I inserted my code in the .s2z-version of my mod. That means that my code should be as this:
    Code:
    <find><![CDATA[<instance name="generic_tooltip_floater" tip_id="balance_lock_tooltip" align="right" x="-0.5h" title="game_lobby_locksave" label="game_lobby_lock_tip_label" />]]>
    </find>
    You may have noticed the <![CDATA[blahblahblah]]> tag? This is just to make sure the ModMan knows that this is a phrase in the file.

I can also set the "cursor" to a specific place in the code. I can then use a find-tag without a starting- and closing-tag. It will then look like this:
    Code:
    <find position="end" />
    end = The end of the file.
    start = The start of the file.
    any integer = a number of characters to move (can be a negative integer).

So if I want to move my cursor to 50 characters before the end of the file, I would add two lines. The code inside the editfile-tag should then look like this:

Code:
    <find position="end" />
    <find position="-50" />
    7.10 The insert tag
    Code:
    <insert position="after">
    </insert>
    In my example I will insert my code after the "cursor" that we found using the find-tag. If I wanted to insert it before what I found using the find-tag, then I could change

My insert-tag will then look like this:
    Code:
    <insert position="after"><![CDATA[        <!-- LOCK HOENHEIM BUTTON!-->
            <panel color="invisible" x="8h" y="-2h" height="3h" width="3h" name="chat_lockh_panel" >
                <button
                    onclick="AllChat('Can you lock me ([D3S]XplittR) and [D3S]Hoenheim please? :)');"
                />
            </panel>]>
    If I wanted to add more code, I would simply need to add a new find-tag, followed by a new insert-tag.

7.11 The replace tag
    Code:
    <replace>
    </replace>
    By using the replace-code, I can replace whatever I found by using find-tag.

Example:
    Code:
    <find><![CDATA[<include file="game_chat.package"/>]]></find>
    <replace><![CDATA[<include file="game_chat2.package"/>]]><replace>
    (Though you should not do as I did in my example, as the game_chat.package is crucial!)

7.12 The delete tag
    Code:
    <delete />
    Same principle as the replace-tag. It will delete whatever it found using the find-tag.

Example:
    Code:
    <find><![CDATA[<include file="game_chat.package"/>]]></find>
    <delete />
    (Again, you do not want to delete this part!)

7.13 Completing the mod.xml file
    Now you should be done with your mod.xml file. You could also add attributs like updatecheckurl and updatedownloadurl, but these were added in ModMan 1.1, and I have no experience with them. These will make it so that mods can be updated without the users having to download them manually.

Here is my completed mod.xml:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <modification application="Heroes of Newerth" appversion="-0.2.*" mmversion="1.1"
        name="Lock Hoenheim" version="0.9" date="05.10.2009"
        description="Places a button in the game lobby that will tell the host to lock me and Hoenheim when clicked."
        author="XplittR"
        weblink="http://www.heroesofnewerth.com/"
    >

<copyfile name="ui/lockh/LH.tga" />

<editfile name="ui/game_lobby.interface">
            <find><![CDATA[<instance name="generic_tooltip_floater" tip_id="balance_lock_tooltip" align="right" x="-0.5h" title="game_lobby_locksave" label="game_lobby_lock_tip_label" />]]></find>
            <insert position="after"><![CDATA[        <!-- LOCK HOENHEIM BUTTON!-->
                <button
                />
            </panel>]>
        </editfile>

</modification>
    As you see, I have also copyed the file "ui/lockh/LH.tga", which I also used in my .s2z mod.

7.14 The icon.png file
    Now that you are done with your mod.xml, you should include a icon that will show up in the ModMan. I have included a PNG-version of the "LH.tga", as it clearly shows me what mod this is.
    To make your PNG, just use your favorite image-editor. I used Adobe Photoshop, but Microsoft Paint will do the job.

7.15 Compiling it all together
    Now, I am all set to make my .honmod file! As I have allready explained, the .honmon is simply a renamed .zip file. My files are as following:
    - mod.xml
    - icon.png
    - a folder named "ui"
    - LH.tga placed inside the ui-folder

Then I add all these using my favorite extractor-program (mine is WinRAR). I make a .zip-file, and simply rename it to "Lockh.honmod". I can then add this file to my HonMod.

7.16 Congratulations!
    Congratulations! You have now made your first simple .honmod mod!
    Now you can share it to all of your friends, and simply apply it again if it comes a new patch! If it does not work after a patch, then most times it is because they have added new code so it interferes with your code. Just take a quick glance over your code, and make the proper adjustments.

To be added:
    - Continiously updating the third party softwares section
    - How to make your simle mod more complex (Just maybe)
    Last edited by XplittR; 12-20-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Hawt.

X-räi is offline ɯnıɯǝɹd
    Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    first off, great thread. i thought about making a thread about Modman and some mods but
    I saw in their forum sth like: dont reupload our mods directly
    neither i see direct links here, but i am interested in publishing my mod combo.
    do you think its actually a problem? :P
    i mean, I wont do it anyway since you have created this thread. and a real tut for hodman is actually not needed because the program is so unbelievable simple ...
    keep it up

^using CHROME now
    Banned users: 0 (Counting since: 04.06.2008)

XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am now updating the layout of this thread, and I am also going to add a small guide on how to mod basic stuff (I am not a pro modder, but I know small simple stuff)

Hawt.

XplittR is offline Hawt

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, It seems that I am taking this guide a little further than I was planning xD
    Can I request 2 more posts after my third post? ^^ (Total of 5 posts in a row)
    So far:
    1. What kinds of mods are there
    2. Where to get the mods
    3. How to make a simple mod

To be added:
    4. How to make your simle mod more complex
    5. How to make a .s2z-mod into a .honmod-file

Hawt.

RDK
    RDK is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned