RIFT Review.

This is a discussion on RIFT Review. within the Other Games board part of the RPGs, MMORPGs, Online Strategy Games category; A game by Trion Worlds. Pricing Information Long Review Lore. RIFT takes place in the fantasy world of Telara, where ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mike is offline Master of Hell

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RIFT Review.

A game by Trion Worlds.
    Pricing Information

Long Review

Lore.

RIFT takes place in the fantasy world of Telara, where all hell has broken loose. There are six elemental planes and six dragons, all attempting to enter and take over Telara through tears in the fabric of reality called rifts. You play as an Ascended; a person who has been resurrected with the ability of taking on the souls of fallen war heroes.

There are two factions in RIFT -- Guardians and Defiant. They both blame each other for what is happening, due to a less than satisfactory past. The Guardians worship the Gods and are very religious in nature. Their Ascended are created from being resurrected by the Gods. Then we have the Defiant. They refuse to believe in the Gods and have taken matters into their own hands. The Defiant storyline starts far into the future where Telara is already destroyed. They have found a way to artificially create their Ascended with future technology, and the only way to stop the destruction of Telara is to send an Ascended back in time to the beginning of the rift invasions.

The Guardians aren't really the good guys, and the Defiant aren't really the bad guys. It all depends on perspective and how you look at things. The Defiant have taken things into their own hands since they weren't getting the results they wanted. Does that make them evil? No. The Guardians have stayed faithful to their Gods. Does that make them good? No. Choose which side you like the best, and save Telara your way.

What is RIFT?

RIFT is an MMORPG where dynamic content is the focus. Say you are doing some basic quest, killing 10 spiders and all of the sudden a tear appears! You run over, use your Planar Lure, and it turns into a rift. Monsters flood out of it and players from far and wide come to assist you. A raid group will form when enough players come, and after defeating waves of enemies, a boss may appear. You kill the boss, get some great loot, and go back to your spiders.

Rifts can appear anywhere in the game world, and any level player can assist! The difficulty and rewards are dynamically scaled according to how many players are there, and their levels. This makes rift events fun for everyone! Just this aspect alone makes RIFT a fun game.

People may say it's very similar to WoW, but they are absolutely incorrect. RIFT has taken what many other MMORPG's have done right, and made it better while still adding their own aspects to the game. This is the key recipe that makes RIFT so fun and enjoyable. There are features that have been right in the past, and there are new features that Trion does right their first try.

The level cap is 50, but there are rumors it will be raised soon. Rift events really take the drag off of normal quests! You may be doing a boring errand for an NPC, but decide to make a stop at a rift along the way. This game is truly dynamic. There are storyline quests that progress the plot of Telara being invaded. There are also side quests that are completely optional, but can reward a lot of experience, gold, and new gear. These flow together quite nicely, since the side quests usually involve something that aids the Guardians or Defiant in their quest to destroy the invaders or the opposite faction.

There is also an achievement system in RIFT. It's about average difficulty, with achievements ranging from getting a kill in PVP to killing the boss of a raid. It allows players to work towards a goal while still maintaining the casual game play that we all love.

Guilds are also an interesting aspect in RIFT. Guild quests can be chosen and displayed to everyone by the leader, and everyone will work to complete it. When it is completed, the actual guild will gain experience, not the players. The guild leader can then use this experience to purchase perks for the guild. most of these perks involve a flag being placed on the ground, and whenever a guild member is standing in the vicinity of that flag, they get some type of skill boost. This can be EXTREMELY helpful in guild raids and other activities.

Factions, classes, and callings.

When you create your first character in RIFT, you must make one of the biggest decisions you will make in the entire game; Guardians or Defiant? You can choose three races on each faction. Guardians can choose from Dwarves, High Elves, and Mathosians, while Defiant players get Bahmi, Eth, and Kelari. A screenshot better explaining this is located below.

Each race gets its own passive bonuses that you may want to consider during the next step of character creation: Picking a class. You can choose from only 4 classes in RIFT; Warrior, Cleric, Rogue, and Mage. Now you may be thinking that this will greatly impact the amount of diversity in the game, but that's where you are wrong. During the first few quests in the game, you will be able to gain a total of three different callings. You will gain the soul of a fallen war hero that had the same calling you chose. This lets players put points into three skill trees instead of just one. In RIFT, these are called soul trees. A picture explaining classes and callings is located below, along with a picture explaining soul trees.

Character customization.

RIFT offers a lot of character customization. You can customize your character's height, eye color, hair, etc. like in other games, but you can also customize your character's facial shape with a unique slider I have pictured below.

There are many customization options, but mainly for the head only. That is what I feel is a downfall for the RIFT character customization, but it is still better than most MMORPG's.

PVP

RIFT offers PVP worlds where you can battle members of the opposite faction freely when you meet them in the game world. Also available, are Warfronts. These are special instanced battlegrounds where Guardians and Defiant meet to do battle. You simply queue up for one in the in game menus from wherever you are; as long as you meet the level requirement. These matches range from simple Capture the Flag to holding a cursed fang for as long as possible while you are slowly dying from it's evil power. Overall, there are some good factors here, but PVP worlds are not new. Though why fix something that works, right?

Playerbase

This is probably one of the most important pieces of any online game. For the most part, RIFT has a stable and friendly playerbase that generally wants to help you. Nine times out of ten, there will be a higher level player willing to redo a quest with you that they've already done, if you just ask nicely. Though, the players are quite defensive of the game, and will shoot you down if you start comparing it to WoW. All in all, the players are nice, helpful, and caring but stern.

Sound

RIFT has great music that actually makes me want to listen to the game noises, rather than my own playlist. Inon Zur did an amazing job with every piece of music in the game. They are all very situational and capture the moment very well. There is also a great deal of ambient noises that really immerse you in the game world.

Graphics

The graphics are great for an online game! If you are running RIFT on the highest possible settings, it gets very captivating with the amount of detail put into it. These are the system specs that are provided by Trion Worlds.

Minimum System Specification
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Dual Core 2.0 GHz or better
    Memory: 2 GB
    Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
    Video: Nvidia GeForce FX 5900, ATI/AMD Radeon X300, Intel GMA X4500 or better.
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update

Recommended System Specification
    Operating system: Windows XP, Vista or 7
    Processor: Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or better
    Memory: 4 GB
    Hard disk space: 8.0 GB available
    Desktop Video: Nvidia GTS 250 or better
    Notebook Video: Nvidia GTX 200M series or better
    Sound: DirectX 8.1 compliant card
    DirectX®: 9.0c, June 2010 update

Also, here is a screenshot I found online displaying RIFT at max graphics.

You can see an open darkness rift in the top left side of the picture.
    Note: It's a lot larger than it appears since it is actually located on the other side of the hill.

Short Review

Gameplay: 9/10 - So many new features that deserve to be recognized.
    Playerbase: 8/10 - Players are nice and willing to help you, but can get very defensive.
    Graphics: 9/10 - One of the best displays of graphics I've seen in an MMORPG.
    Sound: 10/10 - Amazing music and ambient noises that really immerse you into the game world.

Final Thoughts

RIFT does so many things right that other games have done wrong. I strongly recommend to pick this game up if you haven't already.

FINAL SCORE: 9/10

FREE TRIAL!

My link: http://www.riftgame.com/en/products/...=ascend_invite

My link will give you a 7 day free trial of RIFT! These are the things that it will provide:

- 7 Days of free RIFT game play!
    - Special in-game title: “The Chosen”
    - You and I will be linked forever, able to teleport to one another’s locations once every thirty minutes.
    - You and I will have all of each other's characters automatically entered in your Friends Lists.

Regular link: https://www.riftgame.com/en/products...Fcm8KgodGnDIIg

Anyone who plays this, please contact me! I'd love to have new friends in game!

MSN: [email protected]
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Last edited by Mike; 05-14-2011 at 03:52 AM.

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Mike For This Useful Post:

Idbjorn is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent thread! I like how it was formatted and to the point in every section. Does RIFT have an achievement system and how would you rate the tediousness of it?

<GM>Bumblebee is offline I'm The Good Bee :)

Array
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work

Click here To see all my Tutorials and get Help.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idbjorn View Post
    Excellent thread! I like how it was formatted and to the point in every section. Does RIFT have an achievement system and how would you rate the tediousness of it?
    Yes, it does have an achievement system! It's about average difficulty, with some achievements being get a kill in PVP and others being killing the hardest raid boss.

Banekai is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, quite the beginners guide. I might pick this game up.
    http://www.d3scene.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=358749&dateline=13048  26804

Roflicer is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent, yeah I play Rift atm, PvP is so god damn good

You only have this one life, live it to the fullest.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyone who plays this, please contact me! I'd love to have new friends in game!

MSN: [email protected]
    E-Mail: [email protected]

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    Yes, it does have an achievement system! It's about average difficulty, with some achievements being get a kill in PVP and others being killing the hardest raid boss.
    Rift Standard Edition PC - Los Angeles

The game is $37.99 there. I like when publishers keep the achievement casual so everyone can finish them in a fair amount of time. You should add a section about leveling, like the cap, questing, how the quest chains are set up. Though all of that information can be found by googling or probably reading the wiki, there might be somebody besides me that ask so it could be useful.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Idbjorn View Post
    Rift Standard Edition PC - Los Angeles

The game is $37.99 there. I like when publishers keep the achievement casual so everyone can finish them in a fair amount of time. You should add a section about leveling, like the cap, questing, how the quest chains are set up. Though all of that information can be found by googling or probably reading the wiki, there might be somebody besides me that ask so it could be useful.
    I just added this to the guide:

The level cap is 50, but there are rumors it will be raised soon. Rift events really take the drag off of normal quests! You may be doing a boring errand for an NPC, but decide to make a stop at a rift along the way. This game is truly dynamic. There are storyline quests that progress the plot of Telara being invaded. There are also side quests that are completely optional, but can reward a lot of experience, gold, and new gear. These flow together quite nicely, since the side quests usually involve something that aids the Guardians or Defiant in their quest to destroy the invaders or the opposite faction.

There is also an achievement system in RIFT. It's about average difficulty, with achievements ranging from getting a kill in PVP to killing the boss of a raid. It allows players to work towards a goal while still maintaining the casual game play that we all love.

Guilds are also an interesting aspect in RIFT. Guild quests can be chosen and displayed to everyone by the leader, and everyone will work to complete it. When it is completed, the actual guild will gain experience, not the players. The guild leader can then use this experience to purchase perks for the guild. most of these perks involve a flag being placed on the ground, and whenever a guild member is standing in the vicinity of that flag, they get some type of skill boost. This can be EXTREMELY helpful in guild raids and other activities.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I just added this to the guide:

The dynamic aspect you keep mentioning is what holds my attention the most, I like how the achievements make people rather party together than solo. Guild perks are not sounding too OP either and that's a thumbs up in my book. Do you have a source to buy a CD key for RIFT that is cheaper than the one I posted? I was looking for a trial code to if anyone has one of those to share.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast