mirt/morp traffic light changer [real life hacking]

This is a discussion on mirt/morp traffic light changer [real life hacking] within the Real Life Hacks board part of the General category; GUIDE UPDATED>>ran a test last night on a standered traffic light, worked. THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE'S ONLY!!!!! I AM ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    35yeros is offline Im still on a Boat.
    Array
    N38°52'14" W77°03'19" its funny because it might be true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[How To] Mirt/Morp Traffic Light Changer

GUIDE UPDATED>>ran a test last night on a standered traffic light, worked.

THIS IS FOR EDUCATIONAL PURPOSE'S ONLY!!!!! I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR STUPIDITY!!!!
    i originally built this in a foreign country (not the us) so some of these parts may actually be hard to find, and may actually cost more than 25 bucks, sorry guys. also, this guide may be a little complicated for people new to real life hacking (rlh) i reapologizes if you get helplessly lost and go emo because it doesn't work, member that when i set out to make one of these it took alot of time, and alot of patience.

this is another of my guides on how to hack real life, as always don't copy this without crediting d3scene.

:cool: into: so as some of you may know, i am not very handy with building pc hacks, i am good at building real life hacks though.
    in this project i will show you how to change a traffic light when ever you want to green. this can come in handy when your street racing or just don't want to sit in traffic. normaly mirt/morp cost lots of money (300-500 bucks) but i can show you how to build one for about 25 or less. things to consider,
    if an emergency unit is trying to get through a light and you switch it back, you'll probaly cause a wreck, so don't be a dumb, only use this as a experience builder.

:police: legal: this is probably ILLEGAL were you live. i know FOR A FACT THIS IS ILLEGAL IN THE UNITED STATES, i don't know about other places, but assume it is.
    in the us it is illegal to:
    own a mirt/morp
    use a mirt/morp
    sell a mirt/morp
    build a mirt/morp
    carry a mirt/morp
    UPDATE: it is now a felony to use these, it used to be a misdemeanor.

definition: a mirt/morp is a device that changes a traffic light. in the us the device it is called a mirt (mobile infared transmitter) a morp is what its called in england/uk, i cant member what morp stands for, but its along the same lines as the mirt

preproject: so here you are, deciding wheater or not to break the law and build something that can make life alot funner. i recommend that if your into making rl hacks, that you build on of these, its a great learning experience, but if you want to stay legal, just take it apart and save the pieces, (you can use them on other projects).
    btw.....if you end up like me, (every one knows you becasue your infamous were you live becasue you can do this stuff) and you want help building stuff like this or other rl hacks, contact me, ide be glad to help.

project: ok so you decided, good, btw, making all the lights on a 4 mile stretch go green at once makes a great you-tube video. :biggrin:
    anyway.....

you need:
    PC Board
    8-pin socket
    Controller IC NE555 (8-pin) IC1
    .47 uF Electrolytic Capacitor C1
    .1uF or .01uF Ceramic Capacitor C2
    500K Multiturn Potentiometer R1
    (2) 100K Resistors R2 & R4
    1K Resistor R3
    Kynar wire
    Scrap Hookup Wire (18ga. Red, Green, Black)
    2N2222 Transistor (Q1) (IR Driver) Q1
    2N3055 Transistor (Q2) (IR Driver) Q2
    Misc Mounting Hardware
    High Power IR Array

Cigarette Lighter Adapter
    Clear Plastic Case

please note that some of these you will have a hard time making finding, and you may have to buy them of the net. i.e. the high power ir array. but most if not all can be found at electronic stores, like radio shack, best buy, or circuit city.

build:

*pic found on another site, my damn camera broke*

the circuit

opps wrong pic...hold on.........

ahh ok there thats the one i wanted,
    build the timeing circut first, as it is the hardest, and dont bother buying the other things if you can get the circut.
    what this circuit is doing is creating a variating "beat" which will flash our IR Array, the best results can be found at roughly 10hz or 10 cycles per second, use the 500k Potentiometer to control the "blink".
    if you did it right it you will have a fast blinking led.

Now put your IR Array together. This is probably the drop point for most of you, because you may have never sodered before, so this is were i tell you that you will get no were in rlh if you don't know how to soder, in fact ill "modify' a saying form stroup, "sodering is mainstream, learn to do it, or drowned"
    i bet you cant wait to soder 36 leds, in fact i bet your jumping with joy.
    the main thing to do is make sure you get the Anode and Cathode correct. (However they are marked very well) Once you have the timing circuit built and tested, the IR Array built, it is time to build a hi-power driver to power the IR Array.

driver for the array:

When building the IR Driver circuit, it is critical that you triple check polarities on all Capacitors and Transistors. If you so happen to use a metal container YOU MUST ISOLATE THE POWER TRANSISTOR (2N3055) FROM THE METAL CASE. Use nylon screws and washers, with electrical tape on the bottom of the transistor to isolate. Failure to do so will fry your project, (it'll be a worthless piece of metal and tape)
    Once again, check and triple check EVERYTHING before you power up!

use a PLASTIC BOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    USE A PLASTIC BOX!!!!!!
    USE A PLASTIC BOX!!!
    on my first test of one of these, i used metal and i electrocuted me self, it hurt like a mother, and i always look back on that as being on of the stupidest things i did.
    so cram it all into a plastic box,cut a hole in the box for the ir arry, mount the ir on the outside, and run the cable through the hole.
    ok once again, test everything, first look at it, then power it on and make sure everything still works.
    Having everything hooked and powered up, you should see your red led Flashing at a quick rate
    ok now take out tour fancy video or camera phones and look at it when its on, you should see ir light.

next:
    Cut the end off of a 12V Cigarette Lighter Adapter and connect it into your project. As in above, there is already a Molex connector connected to the timing circuit, so lets solder up a male molex to the Cigarette lighter adapter and now you have a quick connect power adapter. this is not needed but it is helpful.

this part i had to copy off another site, i was having little luck by myself

At first you may or may not have much luck, because your Hz is probably pretty off. Using the equation
    f=10 over 1.4/(R1 + 2R2) × C1

R2= 100k, C1=.47uF so R1 must equal ~98k. So using a multimeter set your Potentiometer to 98k and give it a shot. If this doesnt work, try slowly increasing the blink rate.

and thats it.....it should work.......

post project:
    so thats all good luck and i hope you learned something form this, and this inspires you to do your own rl hacks, there easy and make life better.
    also, some people on here have been asking why i am called 35yeros.....answer is that i built one of the coolest devices its called a "signal foil" and it only costs 35e to build, and it does the neatest stuff to electronics, the guide on how to build one will be released when i work all the kinks out.

Last edited by Ryan; 05-02-2008 at 04:26 PM.
    When in doubt, empty the magazine, They dont pay you to bring home bullets

bomber is offline Anti-Sexy-Steam-User
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! I will give you reputation even though it might get D3scene closed down! This is amazing!

lord-zach is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow.. has any1 tried this?

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i made this and others.....trust me it works.
    and this wont get d3scene closed
    its a guide for educational purpose only!!

DoGgY is offline Paintball 4 life
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice guide but Is it also illegal to post guide on how to make it ?

still great

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, You Did It =)

Volund is offline Banned

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It should be fine as long as it is marked for "educational purposes".

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    exactly.....i don't encourage the use of these, unless its late at night and your racing...but if your doing that...your already breaking the law

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy shit man niiice!

Array
    Mentioned