Make A Gameboy

This is a discussion on Make A Gameboy within the Real Life Hacks board part of the General category; Ok, when you think back to your favorite game console, what was it? Well for many 20 somethings (like me) ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make A Gameboy

Ok, when you think back to your favorite game console, what was it? Well for many 20 somethings (like me) it has to be the SNES. Yeah I played the atari, the Playstation, and xBox are a lot of fun, but nothing reminds me more of my childhood than the SNES. Well one of my Favorite hackers ladyada has released a new hack, "Game Grrl portable Nintendo game"

Parts

These are the required components:

"Power Player III"/"Mega Joy III" 'nintendo on a chip' game controller.Search on google for a seller, sometimes they're available in malls. Completely pirate, but so much fun! Should run $25 with shipping.

"Hip Gear Screen Pad" or "Intec Screen Pad", these have been recently discontined but are still available at ToysRUs and similar places (as well as EBay) for about $25-$40.

PacTec HP-4AA enclosure, which happens to fit everything just about perfectly. Available in ivory or black, sold by Mouser as well.$6

Original NES controller. Available just about everywhere for like, $5 or less. Or look through your stuff. You probably have one in that cardboard box.

Tools
    • Soldering Iron. Nothing fancy. Also, solder, solder sucker, heatshrink, wire, etc.
    • Hot glue gun & sticks
    • Superglue
    • Drill press/drill/dremel...something to cut the ABS plastic case.

Step by step

These instructions are a little rag-tag...there might be minor steps that are missing or incomplete descriptions. Hopefully they are still useful to someone.

Check out the case, put in the metal bits for the batteries

Disassemble the 'HIP Screen Pad,' take out the screen (unplug the connector) and verify that it fits right above the battery compartment. The screw holes should line up. You might have to notch the pcb a little to let the HV (white & pink) wires around.

Disassemble the Megajoy.

Desolder the Famicom connector. Also desolder the ribbon cable. In order, the pinout of the bottom cable is (left to right as shown):
    1. Controller #2 something
    2. Controller #1 clock
    3. +5V to controllers
    4. C#1 data
    5. Controllers #1&2 latch
    6. Controller #2 something
    7. Controller #2 something
    8. Reset (pull low to reset)
    9. Ground
    10. Audio out
    11. Video out
    12. +5V in for nintendo

Connect the MegaJoy to the LCD. The LCD connect wiring is (according to my notes):
    1. N/C
    2. Adjust ground (grey)
    3. common with 2 (grey)
    4. common with 2 (grey)
    5. N/C
    6. N/C
    7. Brightness adjust (blue)
    8. Contrast adjust (yellow)
    9. Color adjust (white)
    10. Adjust power +5V (purple)
    11. Composite video in (yellow)
    12. Video ground (brown)
    13. N/C
    14. Power ground (black)
    15. Power (red)
    For now, dont disconnect the adjusts (#1-10). Connect power ground to video ground to the megajoy ground. connect LCD power to megajoy power and provide 6V (4xAA). Solder video in to the video out pin.
    I also connected the original NES pad as shown. Note that there are a few ground pins on the famicom connector so you can use them as ground solderpoints.

The megajoy got taped to the case behind the screen. Turn it on. Should work
    Note heatshrink on wires extended from the LCD.
    I made a small version of the LCD adjust board but if I recall correctly, you just cut it off completely and the screen defaults to a nice setting.
    (In case you want to make your own adjust board: Contrast is purple->2k->10K pot -> 2K -> grey. Brightness is purple -> 2K -> 10K pot -> grey. Color is purple -> 5.1K -> 10K pot -> 1K -> grey. for example)

Cut up the nintendo controller for the valuable buttons, elastomers and pads. scratch off some of the overlay so that you can solder to it.

Arrange the buttons as desired

Cut out the holes for the controller

Cut out the hole for the LCD (drill and then file? Whatever works for you)

(Not shown: Take the original controller for the megajoy and solder the pads from the NES contrller to the epoxy'd chip in the middle. My notes claim that the pinout for the chip is as follows: (clockwise from 1 o'clock: select, start, B, turbo, A, ground, +6V (triangular trace), white/clock, yellow/data, orange/latch, left, up, gnd, right, down. I'd double check this visually, as I might have a mistake about the directional buttons. Basically a button press should short that signal line to ground)
    Use superglue to tack the elastomers in the right spot. Put the buttons on top, hot glue the shards, place the case top and kinda push around the buttons until they are in the right place.Wait for the hotglue to dry

Almost done! Make sure that all the power wires (LCD power, Megajoy power, controller power, all connect to the positive battery terminal) All grounds should eventually connect to the negative battery terminal.

Add batteries. If you feel like it, add a power switch of some sort (disconnects the batteries from the circuitry).

bomber is offline Anti-Sexy-Steam-User
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol damn stroup! !

Blarg is offline Budha
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saw this on a website a while back. Never got around to doing it though.

DoGgY is offline Paintball 4 life
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow stroup !! did you made this guide by trying it or you found it on the net and tryed it then posted it here ? because if you was doing random thing and did that just WoW ..

( also for people that have an ipod touch .. jailbreak it and instal the NES emu )

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I Found It, Tried It Out, And With Some Help, Got It To Work. Decided To Post It Here Since It Worked.

GodOfWar is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    rofl guide!

dog_keeper is offline Teh Sexy One.
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice guide!
    http://i34.tinypic.com/2j1o715.jpg
    By eZ]aCx of D3Scene.com

GodOfWar is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well the things u need to create the gameboy I think costs more then a GameBoy lol >.>

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, But I Cant Find A Gameboy Anywhere, No Stores Here Carry Them Anymore, Now That The DS Is Out.

35yeros is offline Im still on a Boat.
    Array
    N38°52'14" W77°03'19" its funny because it might be true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stroup View Post
    Yeah, But I Cant Find A Gameboy Anywhere, No Stores Here Carry Them Anymore, Now That The DS Is Out.
    ever heard the song by weird al called eBay? lol eBay has lots of game boys!
    only problem i see with this is power....wont it run out really fast even whit 4?
    When in doubt, empty the magazine, They dont pay you to bring home bullets

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast