i am not responsible for any damage caused by the use of this tread, whether it be personal public phisical or mental:shocked:...
the chemicals used in this procedure are very dangerous and should be dealt with as thus..
First off, we have to get our supplies.. baisically they consist of:
nitric acid 25 ml approximatly 67%
sulfuric acid 50ml 90% is pretty acceptable
cotton balls or any form of pure cotton e.g. T-shirt
goggles [recomended ]
*WARNING*!!! nitric acid and sulfuric acid both are huge health hazards, do not under any circumstances attempt this indoors or in an enclosed space without proper ventilation. the fumes produced from nitric acid of this concentration can ruin your lungs and possibly kill you. remember you ARE playing with acid.. please use gloves and any methods to keep your self safe from contact with these acids.
if you have access to a fume hood or fume extractor PLEASE use it, if not use some common sense and play safe.
now prepare a beaker.
pour in 50ml of nitric acid into the beaker.
then pour 100ml of sulfuric acid into the same beaker.
with your acids any ratio of 2:1 is acceptable but i just prefer round figures.
place the thermometer into the beaker and note the tempreture.
place the beaker into your ice bath.
now the tricky part.. keeping a close eye on the thermometer place cotton balls into the acid mixture and stir one by one.. if at any time the tempreture of the mix raises by about 15 degrees, STOP immediatly and put about 100 grams of salt in your ice bath.. this should lower the tempreture.. once the temp of the acid mix is stable you may continue putting cotton balls in a stiring making sure that the cotton is always wet with acid..
when you are finished remove the cotton balls from the beaker with some tongs. and lay them on a peice of PLASTIC! and set it outside to dry.
once the cotton balls are dry, they are relativly safe to handle (within reason) but never is guncotton safe to store, because of its high detonation rate and relative unstable state.
ok if you want your guncotton "safer" then you can make a sodium bicarbonate and water solution and soak the nitrated cotton balls in that for a while, and test the guncotton with litmus paper to determine its relative acidity. but if you dont have any litmus paper just a soaking in a potent mix of water and sodium bicarbonate should be fine.
let it dry out and there you go..
so once you have made it there is only one thing to do
well if you have got this far without severe chemical burns then i congratulate you.. but if you have half a brain you should be more or less undamaged.
the reason i love guncotton is because there are so many different ways to ignite it.. for example, you can hold some in your hand and have sombody light it and you wont feel a thing but it looks impressive. another thing you can do is, instead of cotton use regular paper, and write something on it and when you get sick of it... make it dissapear as to say..
also using it in place of an accelerant like gunpowder is quite fun also, but be very carefull because guncotton is very voilent when confined so use eye protection and dont get ahead of yourself.
PS:one can buy both nitric acid AND sulphuric acid at a pharmacy ( drugstore)... well in my country atleast they can order it for you, no questions asked..