How to make a very good smoke bomb

This is a discussion on How to make a very good smoke bomb within the Real Life Hacks board part of the General category; D3scene is not responsible for any outcome from your actions, should you choose to try this at home. Any damage ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    dkutchukk is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to make a very good smoke bomb

D3scene is not responsible for any outcome from your actions, should you choose to try this at home. Any damage to yourself, others, your property, or others' property is solely your fault. This is for educational purposes only. With that being said..

I have made smoke bombs using this method at least 10 times, and they have all worked flawlessly. Of course, there are a few things I must warn you about, and will refer to again in the instructions.
    1. You must CONSTANTLY mix it while heat is being applied, otherwise it will ignite on your stove-top/work surface.
    2. It burns very hot, so DO NOT HOLD THE SMOKE BOMB.
    3. The smoke bomb emits small, very hot particles, so stand at least 10 feet away.

Materials:
    1. Potassium Nitrate (also known as Saltpeter and KNO3). This is found in fertilizers, but is best in stump remover (high concentration of KNO3)
    2. Sugar
    3. A controlled heat source (stove-top worked best for me, since it has an easily controlled gas flow)
    4. Container with a bottom(does not need to be sealed. cylindrical works best)
    5. Sharpie marker
    6. A few cotton balls
    7. Wick (either home-made or the slower-burning green ones found in firecracker packages)
    8. Pot or Pan
    9. Spoon to stir with
    10. Electrical Tape

Procedure:
    1. Place sugar and KNO3 in a pan at a ratio of 3 parts KNO3 to 1 part sugar (volume, not mass)
    2. Turn the stove/heat source on low
    3. Once the heat is on, DO NOT STOP STIRRING THE MIXTURE
    4. After several minutes of stirring, the mixture should turn brown and become thicker (it is said to be "carmelized")
    5. Once the entire mixture is brown, turn the heat off, and move the pan off of the hot surface (keep stirring)
    6. Continue stirring the mixture in the pan for about 2 minutes or so to ensure that the heat from the pan will not prematurely ignite the mixture
    7. Remove spoonfulls of the mixture and place it into the container (I used a tube from a push-up ice cream thing)
    8. Once the container is filled to the desired amount, push the sharpie marker through the center of the mixture
    9. Leave the mixture to sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes
    10. Pull the sharpie out and place the wick inside the hole
    11. Secure the wick by stuffing the cotton balls next to it (inside the hole)
    12. Secure the bottom of the container by wrapping the container with electrical tape, being careful not to tape down the wick
    13. Take your finished product out to a spot in your yard or wherever you prefer, light it up, and back off a bit
    14. Sit back and watch the fruits of your labor!

I would strongly advise heating the mixture outdoors if it is your first time doing something like this. Just to give you an idea of what could happen if you don't do so, and something goes wrong...

A couple years ago, I showed my girlfriend one of the smokebombs and she said that she wanted to try. I agreed, but told her that she had to stir CONSTANTLY. As I had done so many times before, I set up a small pan on the stovetop, set out pre-measured amounts of KNO3 and sugar, set the heat on low, and told her exactly what to do. I was standing next to her the entire time to make sure nothing went wrong, but something definitely went wrong. My phone vibrated from behind us, and she turned to look at what the unexpected source of noise was. In doing this, she stopped stirring the mixture for maybe 1.5 seconds; that was all that was needed. The pan disappeared behind a giant cloud of smoke and white-hot flames, she ran out of the room while holding a flaming spoon, my parents almost shit their pants, my sister ran outside fearing her life, and I sat in the kitchen laughing my ass off! After about 15-20 seconds of continuous smoke, our entire 2-story house was filled with impenetrable white smoke! You could barely see your hand in front of your face through this stuff. After I opened several windows and went back to the pan, I found out that the flaming particles from the pan burned about 15 little holes in the brand new counter-top and linoleum flooring.

Learn from her mistake. Please do not do this indoors if this is your first time doing this.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post or shoot me a pm.
    Good luck and have fun!

If I get time, I could probably put together some pictures depicting the best time to remove the mixture from the heat. It is pretty easy to dictate, seeing as everything will be thick and brown, but some may still want that extra help.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-04-2011 at 03:53 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dkutchukk For This Useful Post:

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will most defiantly try to make this at the end of the month. If possible, can you maybe make a video one day to assist with how to make it ?
    Rep added.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
    I will most defiantly try to make this at the end of the month. If possible, can you maybe make a video one day to assist with how to make it ?
    Rep added.
    yeah. I will make some up tomorrow after work. I will not be lighting it though, since it is about 5* here right now lmao. Plus, it is better to see it for the first time when you are the one that did it

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkutchukk View Post
    yeah. I will make some up tomorrow after work. I will not be lighting it though, since it is about 5* here right now lmao. Plus, it is better to see it for the first time when you are the one that did it
    Oh yeah no problem. I just wanted to see how to make it, so I wont have to struggle with it.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh yeah no problem. I just wanted to see how to make it, so I wont have to struggle with it.
    Definitely understandable

The stump remover i used by the way was Spetricide. You can pick it up at walmart or whatever, and it usually comes in a gray,1 pound bottle. I use this particular one, but you can get any stump remover. Just make sure to read the bottle and make sure it is a Potassium Nitrate stump remover. I know for a fact that the spectracide is 100% potassium nitrate, which leads to a nice, pure reaction.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it like "explode" or set off slowly ?

fishingadv is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow...... what an idea sirji......

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does it like "explode" or set off slowly ?
    It does not explode. Sadly, the only thing they had at Home Depot was not stump remover, and not KNO3 I will try another couple of stores tomorrow, since I will have more time. I will get the vid uploaded and posted tomorrow

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dkutchukk View Post
    It does not explode. Sadly, the only thing they had at Home Depot was not stump remover, and not KNO3 I will try another couple of stores tomorrow, since I will have more time. I will get the vid uploaded and posted tomorrow
    Thank you =)
    And does it smoke slowly, or fast ?

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you =)
    And does it smoke slowly, or fast ?
    The smoke lasts about 10-15 seconds, if I recall properly. Be careful though, because a flame shoots out of the top at first as well. I can't tell if the jet of flame continues because everything is filled with smoke lol

Edit: Of course, the smoking time is directly proportional to the amount of the mixture used

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast