Different ways to tune out the world.

This is a discussion on Different ways to tune out the world. within the Real Life Hacks board part of the General category; Tuning out one thing is simple enough. You just have to let yourself get used to it. Tuning out the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    JJet is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Different ways to tune out the world.

Tuning out one thing is simple enough. You just have to let yourself get used to it. Tuning out the world however is harder than that. First though you should know what "tuning out the world" means. It means that you can stop yourself from hearing what you don't want to hear. Allowing yourself to focus on what you want to focus on.

There are going to be places that naturally induce this and to varying degrees. Of course these places will vary somewhat from person to person. The places that do this for me are school(of course), church, and the bus. School has the effect of giving me day dreams. Church causes me to basically pass out where I sit. On the bus it is like being lulled to a kind of trance where you decide what you watch.

DAY DREAMS

Day dreams are one of the easiest and most common type of this tuning. They are induced by boredom and you thinking further into a topic in your mind. This topic can be anything from fantasies to the last test you had, but it has to intrest you or inducing a day dream will fail.

SLEEP

Sleep is without a doubt the easiest and most common type of this tuning. However it is one of, if not the hardest, to control. I will not teach you to control your sleep. Inducing sleep is another matter (there are of course no garuntees to any of these methods working for you). You have to hind a comfy position and, unlike daydreams, focus on being tired. Soon enough you will start to yawn. If you don't get disturbed you will fall asleep. This should only be done when you have a couple hours to kill.

HALF-STATE

This is one kind of tuning that requires the most time to master. It is one of the most advanced kinds of tuning out there. This tuning if mastered can give you the benefits of multiple other kinds of tuning. It will give you dreams like a day dream. You will feel more rested when you exit this half-state, but not as rested as if you had slept. It will allow you to pass less time than sleeping, but more than day dreaming. If done correctly and with experience you will be able to exit the half-state when you are being talked to or about near you. Inducing this is difficult. You have to not tune out the world, letting in everything around you in to your mind. While doing that you must then focus on one topic while still letting everything in. Then seperate the 2. Allow yourself to maintain a connection to both the dream and the world (in other words RELAX). This will split your conciousness into 3. One part is sleeping. Another paying attention to the world. The last part is where you are focused the most allowing you to ignore the others until necesary. The last part is watching and listening to the day dream.

I do not endorse doing any of these in school. If it fails, you either aren't paying enough attention to the right thing or you are paying too much attention to anything.

If you read that all then congratz.
    If it fails try again.
    If it works for you then awesome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JJet For This Useful Post:

ItzNitro is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Headphones are pretty effective too.

JJet is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you use music as your topic to focus you get the benefits of tuning out the world and listening to your music.

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like to "stare" at things .. Its more of me just zoning out and thinking about random things, but it works =)

JJet is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Staring at stuff is focusing on something other than what you're tuning out. I meant to say it helps if what your focusing on interests you.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JJet View Post
    Staring at stuff is focusing on something other than what you're tuning out. I meant to say it helps if what your focusing on interests you.
    Well when I say Stare .. I dont mean literally Stare .. its hard to explain .. its like I blur my eyes when I do it, like when you stare at stuff when youre tripping. You dont really stare at it per-say, you stare "through" it

eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the half-state thing interesting but seems impossible to do.
    As for the dreams, I can't ever seem to recall anything even if I try to think of something before I fall asleep, nothing helps.

Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

JJet is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So Ryan it seems that you are focusing on being unfocused.

---------- Post added at 09:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

The half-state is not impossible. I use it everyday on the bus, because I sit in back with a group of people who don't get me wrong they are funny and interesting, can't stop talking about getting stoned.

Edit by Ryan: "Cant stop talking about being stoned" - FUCK YEAH, thats the way to live

---------- Post added at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Oh yeah. My younger brother, who I consider the slowest person I know, picked it up just a little time. So if you really try and focus/unfocus you can get it.
    Last edited by Ryan; 02-10-2011 at 03:53 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JJet For This Useful Post:

eZ]aCx is offline Steve Jobs ͩͮ͗͂̋̃͏̷̻̼+ͭ̋̐
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well in the morning I am sleepy, so In the bus I close my eyes, while still paying attention but not necessarily sleeping, just resting my eyes. Is that half-state? lol

Resigned GFX Moderator. Left for professional GFX teams. Find me here

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by eZ]aCx View Post
    Well in the morning I am sleepy, so In the bus I close my eyes, while still paying attention but not necessarily sleeping, just resting my eyes. Is that half-state? lol
    Half-state is when you can hear the things around you, but you dont focus on them.

For example .. when your alarm clock is going off, but you think it is in your dream so you dont wake up ..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast