Write good threads

This is a discussion on Write good threads within the Rules/Announcements board part of the General category; This thread contains information how you can write good threads in order to contribute to D3scene or your forum to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    hendricius is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Write good threads

This thread contains information how you can write good threads in order to contribute to D3scene or your forum to rank your threads place 1 on google. I am focusing on improving Search Engine ranks with threads and posts and what every user can do individually do to do so. Linkbacks, sites where you can submit your content and of course the reason why I always want you to submit your content to those sites are explained within. If you follow the advice below and are willing to invest some time, we (and you) can easily double our (your) daily visitors.

1. Where does D3scene get it's members?
    2. How should an optimal Thread look like?
    3. What else is important? (Linkbacks)
    4. Other recommendations
    5. Advice for content / contribution
    6. Adding downloads

1. Where does D3scene get it's members?

When D3scene was launched in early February we mainly had Direct traffic. People found us somewhere and then typed "D3scene.com" in their browser. Have a look at the following pictures. You will see that around 70 % of the users were visiting us through direct traffic in May and now, in December around 70% of the users through Search Engines. Additionally you will see our top keywords. Our best one is "wow hacks". Give it a try, google "wow hacks" (Google must be set to English language)

Here how the increasing content helped us to get more visitors over time. This shows the total users at the beginning and in the End.

When we launched I had to make a decision how we could actually get some members and searched a bit on Google and learned about SEO (Search Engine optimization, it's about improving the position of your website in major search engines). I bought me a one book and talked to real-life-friends who had some experience at Search Engine Optimization. I learned the basics and started optimizing. Still remember our old front page? I made it to optimize our Google-Rank .

Now that you know where our members are coming from, it's time to show you what you can actually do to get your written D3scene-content on the first places at Google.

2. How should an optimal Thread look like?

The thread title is very important for Google. The more compact, the higher is the chance of finding the thread by searching Google. Ask yourself: what would I search? Try to avoid any [prefixes]. If you have a bot to release, try not to name the thread "[Bot] Super uber bot", instead use "Super uber bot" as thread title. If you have a question, do not add at [question] prefix. Bad thread title: [question] I need helpzor with glider - good thread title: I need helpzor with glider - alternative good thread title: how can I use glider?. The thread titles are very important, so always pick a good one .

The URL is also very important, however it is optimized by D3scene's forum software based on the title you chose.
    • Think what you would search to find the thread's content
    • Your title should be based on your thoughts
    • (If you are searching for a WoW Emuhacker, you would probably search for "wow emuhacker" --> use WoW Emuhacker as title of the thread)
    • Keep the title compact and descriptive
    • In general: the higher specialized, the higher is the chance to be found
    • Make important Keywords in the content bold. Do not make every single word bold or google will mark it as spam. Only the most important ones.

3. What else is important?

What I told you above was all about "on page-optimization". What is even more important is the "off page-optimization". The more page link to your page, the more important it is; that's what google thinks. It rates every page individually based on the "Backlinks" (A backlink is a link from another page back to yours). The more backlinks you have, the higher your website is rated in Google's database. However the rating of each individual link is based on the link source itself.

Let's make this a bit less theoretical. You are running a website which is about Counter Strike Hacks and a website that sells football shoes links to your website. Google notifies this link and sees no relevance in it because it is not content relevant. However if another website about Counter-Strike hacks links to your website, which is also about CS Hacks, google thinks that it's content relevant and rates it higher, resulting in a higher rank.

But it's quite hard to get backlinks from other websites. However, now the social bookmarking which you might already have heard about comes into play. Basically they allow you to store links which are then indexed by Google. There are different categories resulting in usually content relevant links. It will not only improve the Google-Ranking but also result in people visiting D3scene.

You can easily submit your websites to social-bookmarking sites. I would really like you to do so as this is really important for climbing at google :-). Here is a guide howto do so:

Digg.com is a very good one because it also generates good page titles which Google like and your page's google rank. However my personal favorite is Mister-Wong.de; it gets us 10% of our visitors every month. However it is in German! If you are capable of German, give it a try. Even for English Users, it's pretty self explaining.

4. Other recommendations
    • Crosslinks, links between content-relevant threads are also very good for the Search-Engine rank. For example: You are making a guide and should link it to some other guides on the boards which have some sort of relation to the guide itself. Google will analyze it and increase the rank for the guide you are linking to. See below how you should figure out the links below.
    • If you are posting something with files, make sure you upload the files in our Download section. This generates another page with a download. I am quite often searching for Filenames with Download as suffix to find mirrors.
    • Never link to files like this: WoWemuhacker download here, do it like this: WoWemuhacker download. The link is rated higher and the ranking increases . This is usually already automatically done with D3scene's forum software. However you might feel like the linktitle is inappropriate, then change it

5. Advice for content / contribution
    As I explained above, d3scene is being reached by users mainly through major search Engines (65 % Google). The amount of users that reaches us increases with increasing content. Therefore new content is essential for more users.
    • Downloads in our download section which you might find on other websites. Make sure they are allowed to be shared.
    • Guides from other websites. Also make sure you are allowed to share them. Why not ask the creator to join D3scene? If he is able to code/contributive we can surely offer him Premium Membership for free.
    • You are probably experienced and skilled in something. Write a guide based on your knowledge . If you experienced with a game and feel that a forum for that game should be added, ask an admin. Best example is our MU-Forum. It was opened around 1 month ago and now contains more than 200 threads!
    • Please follow our rules in all your threads. Mods can not always check all threads/posts and violating threads/posts can seriously damage us.

6. Adding downloads
    You shared a hack? Thanks so far! Now the last thing you have to do, add it to our downloads area. Simply click on the "add" button. Now comes the tricky part:
    • pick the same title as in the post you wrote on the forums ("Shadowfrench maphack" on forum, then "Shadowfrench maphack" in our download area.
    • As description do not copy the description! That is very bad for Search Engines - they hate duplicate content! Pick something like this: "For more information and details, please see the Shadowfrench maphack thread. Note, link the name of the hack, to the thread on the forums for superior results. Don't forget, only link the name of the hack.

Thanks for reading and contributing!

Hendrik aka. Hendricius
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

"D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

GodOfWar is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thank u! hope that i am a good contributer

Archimonde is offline Wise Man
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't be #1 as long as hendrik is around.

Acer is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, i am trying to Post many Stuff, has Posted many Stuff,

Tresspass is offline Bleh.
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Archimonde View Post
    Can't be #1 as long as hendrik is around.

Arse munch much? Hendrik is great... not sucking up either.

aLLo- is offline : )
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very interesting.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    updated a bit .
    -Added the downloads part.
    -Rewrote beginning.
    -renamed thread.

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you Copy Paste the lot? If you haven't you deserve great love and sex and for that. Sara, give him sex for his nice thread. I give rep. We all give him love.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    written by myself.

Kevin is offline guy

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow. I wouldn't be surprised if you would graduate to a top university.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast