D3Scene's leaked hacks policy

This is a discussion on D3Scene's leaked hacks policy within the Rules/Announcements board part of the General category; Originally Posted by caee If the owner of a hack asks for the thread to be taken down is it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    DarkJesture is offline That 1 guy...

Array
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caee View Post
    If the owner of a hack asks for the thread to be taken down is it allowed to have a thread acknowledging the existence of a cracked version of the hack that does not include a download link?

Although I agree the thread could be used to flaming I think that could be resolved by simply closing the thread.
    I think the only reason this thread would be made is for the sole purpose of rubbing it in the providers face. If you or anyone else really care to help a provider improve their security, you can PM them somehow. Everything else will only result in a flame war.

caee is offline Advanced Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The purpose of the thread is not to rub anything on anyone's face. I don't want to improve their security neither, it's just a fact that when someone finds a breach, you need to fix it and in order to fix the problem you have to study the problem leading to a better software as a whole.

I just think that having threads like that are very important and a lot of people are interested in them.
    420 blaze it
    Basic Astronomy

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    130 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caee View Post
    The purpose of the thread is not to rub anything on anyone's face. I don't want to improve their security neither, it's just a fact that when someone finds a breach, you need to fix it and in order to fix the problem you have to study the problem leading to a better software as a whole.

I just think that having threads like that are very important and a lot of people are interested in them.
    In theory, that's awesome. In theory people crack other peoples software to make them improve their software security wise (security in terms of anti-cracking, anti-leaking, ..).
    But then again, that's all only theory.

In a perfect world, a person who cracks software does not brag about it but rather just silently informs the developer in question about it with all possible information on how the person achieved it as well as possible solutions to prevent further cracks.

But well, that does not happen. After all, people crack software, go all nuts and brag about how pr0 they are for editing their host file or spoofing the packets sent and received.

All this makes us not willing to provide more attention to those bragging cr4ck0rs.
    If you crack software and feel the need to release it - Go for it. We have no problem with that and my personal opinion on this is simply not important.
    But if the original author asks us to remove it, we'll do so.

In the end, security of your software in the terms I described earlier has pretty much nothing to do with the quality of the software in terms of usability, performance, anti-detection, ..

Okay, guess that's it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tracky For This Useful Post:

caee is offline Advanced Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a shame this happens, I can't stop but thinking what they could do if they worked together then.

Well, thanks for making it as clear as possible.
    420 blaze it
    Basic Astronomy

6. The Following User Says Thank You to caee For This Useful Post:

bellaPatricia is offline Legend

Array
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracky View Post
    But well, that does not happen. After all, people crack software, go all nuts and brag about how pr0 they are for editing their host file or spoofing the packets sent and received.
    If it would be *that* easy to crack software, listed crackers should be very well allowed to brag about the provider's software.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12