World Editor FAQ

This is a discussion on World Editor FAQ within the Warcraft 3 Custom Maps board part of the Warcraft 3 forum category; General Q: Where can I find tutorials? A: warcraft tutorial "world editor" - Google Search Q: How should I name ...

Diesel is offline noob extraordinaire

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

World Editor FAQ

General

Q:
    Where can I find tutorials?
    A:warcraft tutorial "world editor" - Google Search

Q:
    How should I name my map?
    A:Maps should never overwrite each other, you should be able to tell who made a map, and which version of a map is the newest. Put your name (handle) in it, especially if you are modifying someone else's map. Make sure you give the original author credit if you based your map off of someone else's. This prevents versions by different people overwriting each other.
    Include a version number, and change the version number every time you host a new version of your map. If you don't, then you risk having your old version overwrite newer versions.
    Always assume that people will distribute your map. If you really don't want your map released yet then include a trigger that aborts the game if you are not in it.
    Don't use adjectives like "platinum" because they make it impossible to tell which version is newest.

Q:
    How often should I save my map?
    A:As often as you have patience for. If possible, rename your map every time you save it. This makes sure that you always have a backup. It is unlikely that you will permanently corrupt your map, but often if something does go wrong it is easier to start from a backup than to try and fix the problem.

Q:
    Why can't I select units? (or trees, terrain, or ground)
    A:You need to be in the appropriate layer. Go to "Layer" and choose the layer you want to work with.

Q:
    Why can't I select anything at all?
    A:You need to be using the selection brush. Press space bar to turn the selection brush on and off.

Q:
    How do I get the black mask (Fog of War) to work the way I want it to?
    A:Go to "Scenario->Map Description" and check or uncheck "Masked areas are partially visible"

Q:
    How do I remove the starting peons and town hall? or How do I make my map "use map settings"?
    A:Warcraft 3 will automatically use the settings on your map. To change those settings go to "Module->Trigger Editor" and delete the actions you don't want. To remove starting peasants, remove the action labeled "Melee Game - Create Starting Units"

Q:
    How do I find a unit, item, doodad or destructible doodad to place?
    A:Go to "Module->Object Editor".
    Click on the tab for the type of object you want to place. (gold mines, fountains, and shops are units)
    Go to "Edit->Find.." (or press ctrl-F), and search for the name of the object you want.
    Once you find it, right click on the name and choose "Select in Tool Palette".
    Place your object on the map.

Q:
    How do I make creeps using units that belong to a playable race, like Footmen or Huntresses?
    A: Place a unit for any player, then double click on the unit and change its owner to neutral hostile.

Q:
    How do I make a creep drop an item?
    A: Double-click the creep, and a menu will come up. Select the "items dropped" panel. From the drop down menu choose "Use Custom Item Table", click "New Set", and then "New Item." Select the item and the chance it should have to drop.

Q:
    I just installed The Frozen Throne, but the editor isn't working. How do I get it to work?
    A: Make sure you are using no editor add-ons or custom files. If you have a "Units" or "UI" directory delete or rename it. Make sure you start the editor by running the editor itself and not an add-on like UMSWE. If you have made modifications that cannot be easily undone, you will need to reinstall Warcraft in a new directory. Beta users will need to uninstall the beta before installing The Frozen Throne. If you have used editor modifications before, then your map may not work correctly now. See the "I made a map in Reign of Chaos..." question in the advanced section below.

Q:
    How do I force players to choose a certain race?
    A:Go to "Scenario->Force Properties" and check the boxes labeled "Use custom forces" and "Fixed player settings".

Q:
    I accidentally deleted the palette, how can I get it back?
    A:Go to "Window->New Palette" and select the palette you want. You will also get a new palette if you switch layers in the "Layer" menu.

Q:
    I released my map, and someone copied it and put his name on it! What can I do?
    A: Don't worry about it, just be glad that someone liked your map (recommended)
    Make future versions of your map difficult to edit (not recommended)
    Put your name in many different places on your map, so that it will remain on your map even if someone changes a few details.

Q:
    I haven't even released my map yet, but someone stole it! How?
    A:If two maps share the same name they will look the same to you. You probably both still have the default map name. If you actually start the game you will see that it is not the same map.

Q:
    How do I make color text?
    A:In your text enter "|c" (the first character is a vertical bar) followed by your color code, followed by your text, followed by "|r".

Color codes are standard hexadecimal numbers in the format AARRGGBB. The fist two numbers represent the transparency, since text can never be transparent these two numbers are ignored. Choose the next six numbers based on how much red, green, and blue you want in your text. For example, a color code for pink would be "00ff7777" so you would put in the text "|c00ff7777hihihi!|r".

You can find a list of color codes here
    Pagefinder - Get INSIDERinfo on thousands of topics
    or a program that generates codes here http://www20.brinkster.com/magos818/...ar3colour.html

Q:
    How do I change the food limit?
    A:You can change the food limit in "Advanced->Gameplay Constants->Food Limit". The maximum is 300. You can also edit the individual units to give them a different food cost. You can also change the food max (same as food limit) and the food cap (usually based on the number of farms built) for individual players using triggers.

Q:
    What are the hotkeys and shortcuts in the editor?
    A:Undo - press Ctrl + z (most important hotkey!)
    You can find all of the hotkeys (and change them) in "File->Configure Controls..."
    If you are selecting something from a drop down menu, typing a letter will bring you to the first selection starting with that letter. Press tab to switch between drop down menus quickly.
    If you hold shift and double click on an entry in the object editor, you will be able to edit the raw data directly instead of going through a menu.

Q:
    What unit of measurement is used for things like unit range, size, and position?
    A:They don't have a direct real world equivalent, but you can see how they look in game in a few ways.When you turn on the grid (press "g"), the big squares are 512 wide, medium 128, and small 32
    You can see the coordinates of your cursor with respect to your map in the lower left hand corner.
    Look at unit ranges. Missile heroes have range 600 and melee heroes (except Tauren Chieftain) have range 100.

Q:
    How do I use the "Test Map" feature?
    A:Click on the "Test Map" button on the right side of the menu bar. This will save a copy of your map in "Maps/Test/WorldEditTestMap.w3x", then open Warcraft and run the test map. Go to "File->Preferences...->Test Map" to change Test Map settings, including player name and whether to use a fixed random seed.

Q:
    How do I increase the maximum hero level, change global distribution of XP, make heroes gain full XP from creeps, change the amount of damage heavy armor units take from piercing, or make gold mines provide 100 gold per trip?
    A:These are all gameplay constants. Go to "Advanced->Gameplay Constants", click the "Use Custom Gameplay Constants" box, and change the appropriate entry. In most cases if a list has fewer values than you would use, then the last value is used for all additional cases. So to give heroes full XP from creeps, change "Hero XP Gained - Creep Reduction Table" to have one entry, and set that entry to 100.

Q:
    Why are the menus not displaying correctly?
    A:There are some known issues with the maximum number of controls that can be created in Windows 98/ME. If you have too many windows/dialogs open in the editor, it can cause controls to stop displaying, and sometimes crashes.

Q:
    Editing can be very slow and laggy, how do I speed it up?
    A:Go to "Window" and uncheck "Brush List".
    Make sure you don't have units on top of your start locations.

Q:
    Why is starting up the editor so slow?
    A:Go to "File->Preferences"
    Click on the "General" tab.
    Uncheck "Create a new map on start up"

Q:
    I made a map in Reign of Chaos, how can I open it in The Frozen Throne world editor?
    A:If you used no editor add-ons then it should open normally. If you did use add-ons, then you should:Remove any triggers that were not present in the standard editor (you can just convert them to custom text).
    Remove all imported files (you can re-import them using the import manager in TFT).
    If you used an add-on to enter icons as strings, then they will be reset and you will need to enter them again.
    If you edited abilities you will want to either convert your slk file to the TFT format, or redo your abilities using the Object Editor.

Q:
    Why can I not open this map in the editor?
    A:The creator used functions of a third-party editor (such as UMSWE) that are not available in The Frozen Throne.
    The creator used triggers supplied by a Frozen Throne editor add-on that you do not have. If you find out what add-on they used, then you can use that add-on yourself to open the map. If you delete all the added triggers, or convert them to custom text, then you can open the map in a normal editor again.
    The map has been purposefully corrupted so that in will no longer open in the editor (also called protecting or locking). The basis of all locking methods is to corrupt the GUI version of the triggers, the JASS version will always be there. There are other techniques that can make the corruption diffucult to fix.
    Your World Editor is corrupted. This seldom happens and is usually associated with using editor add-ons. To fix this uninstall and reinstall Warcraft (back up your files first).

Q:
    Something happened and I lost my map! How do I recover it?
    A: Load your backup, you should frequently save your map under a new file name in case something like this happens. If you forgot, there are a few other things you can try:If you last tested that map there will be a copy of your map in "Maps/Test/WorldEditTestMap.w3x"
    If you have played multiplayer with your map then all players will have a copy of your map.
    You can look inside your map file using an MPQ utility for any files that can be rescued.
    If you still have a WorldEditTemp directory you can get your raw map files and rebuild your map from that.

Q:
    How big can I make my map?
    A: Players can download maps of up to 4 megabytes. Smaller sizes will download faster. Also individual object types are limited: Destructibles - 6144
    Doodads (non-destructible) - 8192
    Neutral Hostile (all) + Neutral Passive Units - 512
    Neutral Passive Buildings - 96
    Player-owned Units - 1080
    Player-owned Buildings - 600
    Items - 256
    The maximum number of custom objects, per type (per Object Editor tab), is 7776 for maps and 5184 for campaigns (12,960 total).

Q:
    How do I use fog?
    A:Use linear fog. The "z start" and "z end" values define how far away from the camera the fog will be applied. You should see the result of changing the "z start" quite readily within the editor (make sure View->Fog Effects is turned on, and that you are zoomed out and/or angled down enough to see for a long distance).

Q:
    What are random groups for?
    A:Random groups are used for pre-placed random units. After you place a random unit, open its properties and you can set it to a certain position of a random group.
    Q: What is a 3rd party program or add-on?
    A:"3rd party" refers to editor modifications that were not made by Blizzard.

Q:
    What 3rd party files do I need to make a map?
    A:All you need is the standard Frozen Throne world editor. The Frozen Throne world editor does pretty much everything that required 3rd party add-ons in Reign of Chaos. See the "Import/Export" section for exceptions.

Q:
    What does the gem in the lower right do?
    A:When the gem is active the death animation will play when you delete a unit.

Q:
    Are there and map making clans?
    A:Yes. warcraft "map making" clan - Google Search

Credits.

Regards,
    ~Diesel
    Last edited by Diesel; 08-06-2008 at 08:55 PM.
    Global Moderator, 2009-2010

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Objects

Only basic questions are listed here. For the full, searchable FAQ go to: Elil's Warcraft III Hoard

Q: What are units, items, destructibles, and doodads?
    A: They are all objects, they can all be modified with the object editor, and they can all be placed on the map with the terrain editor. Abilities, upgrades, buffs, and effects are objects too, even though they can't be placed on the map. They will be covered in the abilities section of the FAQ.

• Buildings, troops and heroes are units. You can do pretty much anything to a unit. They can have abilities, upgrades, and attacks.
    • Trees and bridges are destructibles. You they can be created or destroyed during the map, but they can't be moved. Some special purpose doodas have other functions as well.
    • Bushes, flowers, and rocks are doodads. They cannot be changed in any way during the game.
    • Items can be created, destroyed, picked up, and used. They can have abilities, but they only apply while in a hero's inventory.

Q: Where can I edit these objects?
    A: Go to "Module->Object Editor" and click on the tab that you want.

Q: How do I find an object or a field for the object?
    A: Use the "Edit->Find" command.

Q: How do I change what an object looks like?
    A: Change the "Art - Model File" entry. For some unit and destructible models there may be different animations you can play. For example if a unit has a Ghoul model and you set the "Art - Required Animation Names" to "lumber", then you will turn the Ghoul into a mini-Tauren. Some models changed with the Frozen Throne. To use the old version of a model unset all options in "Art - Model File - Extra Versions".

Q: How do I make another object look like a doodad?
    A: Some doodads, like rocks or flowers, have variations. Warcraft automatically appends a variation number to the model file entry of any destructible/doodad that has more than one variation, but it does not do so if they have only one variation (which includes all other object types as well). The Object Editor only stores the base model name, without the numbers. This causes problems when you try to use doodad models in places where there is only once variation (like a unit for example). You will need to fix this yourself.

• Choose the model as normal, and exit the dialog.
    • Edit the model entry again.
    • Select "Custom".
    • Add in the variation number you want just before the file extension.

For example:

Doodads\Cityscape\Props\MagicRunes\MagicRunes.mdl

would become

Doodads\Cityscape\Props\MagicRunes\MagicRunes2.mdl

Q: How do I give a unit two attacks?
    A: Make sure the two attacks have different kinds of targets. For example many units have different attacks for units and buildings. Also make sure both attacks are enabled and have range.

Q: What do the "Art - Tinting Color" values do?
    A: You can set the values lower to remove color from a unit, making it darker. You can't make a unit lighter using tint values.

Q: I changed the movement speed to 1000, why isn't my unit moving really fast?
    A: The max speed in-game is 522. This includes boots of speed, bloodlust, and other such effects.

Q: How do I give a unit an area of effect attack?
    A: Make sure you have all of the "Area of Effect" entries for your attack filled in, including targets. Then set your attack type to "msplash" or "artillery".

Q: How do I use negative numbers?
    A: In the main editor window go to "File->Preferences->General" and check "Allow negative real values in object editor".

Q: How do I make my custom heroes build like standard ones?
    A: To limit training to one per hero type, specify the limit explicitly for each hero type with the trigger action

Player - Limit Training Of Unit-Type

To make the custom hero count as a hero for use with the action

Player - Limit Training Of Heroes

it needs to be considered a dependency equivalent of the special hero code ('HERO').

These special equivalents can be modified from the Advanced->Gameplay Constants dialog in the main window.
    Simply add your custom hero to the list under Techtree - Dependency Equivalents - Hero.

Q: How do I let players build multiples of standard heroes?
    A: Limit training as above, but use the number "-1".

Q: How do I change where my heroes can be revived?
    A: The "Techtree - Hero Revival Locations" field can be used to limit the places where the hero can revive to specific buildings. If this is empty (which it is by default for all units), the hero can revive at any building which has the "Techtree - Revives Dead Heroes" field turned on.

Q: What do the "Art - Required Animation Names" entries do?
    A: They change which animations are displayed, depending on the model of the unit. For example if you use a Peasant model and add the word "gold" then the peasant will always look like he is carrying gold.

Not all units have all animations though. For example if you add the "channel" tag to an Archmage he will look like he is casting a spell whenever he stands still. When he starts moving he will no longer look like he is casting a spell because he has no "walk channel" animation.

You can add these "animation tags" to individual units while the map is running by using the trigger action "Animation - Add/Remove Unit Animation Tag"

Q: Why are the base stats of my units not the same as the regular game?
    A: Melee maps use the unit data from the most recent patch, so they may change if a new patch comes out. Non-melee maps use the original unit data (RoC 1.01 or TFT 1.07). This is so patch changes will not mess up custom maps.

If you want to use the most recent patch data in your custom map, go to "Scenario->Map Options..." and change the "Game Data Set" entry to "Latest Patch".

This only changes unit data, not abilities. As a result of this, when Blizzard made drastic changes to abilities they create two versions of the ability. This is so the old units can have the old ability and the new units can have the new ability.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Abilities & Triggers

Abilities
    Only basic questions are listed here. For the full, searchable FAQ go to: Elil's Warcraft III Hoard

Q: What are abilities?
    A: Abilities modify the capabilities of a unit. Items can have abilities, but they don't do anything until a hero picks them up, and then they give their abilities to the hero.

Q: What are buffs and effects?
    A: Buffs and effects appear in game as the result of abilities. Buffs are attached to units and effects are not. Buffs can alter a unit's statistics (like Bloodlust), do damage (like Starfall), or prevent a unit from being affected by an ability twice (like the "being healed" buff from statues). Effects just look pretty.

Q: How do I edit abilities, buffs, or effects?
    A: Go to "Module->Object Editor" and click on the tab for the type you want to edit.

Q: What parts of an ability can I change?
    A: You can change targets, graphics, sound, damage, unit ids, range, levels, and other similar values. You cannot change the basic logic of the spell through the spell editor. You need to use triggers to change spell logic.

For example you could:

• Change Bloodlust to decrease unit speed.
    • Make Starfall a unit ability.
    • Make Raise Dead summon 1 zombie.

However you could not (without triggers):

• Add a stun effect to Mana Burn.
    • Make Death Coil area of effect.
    • Make an aura that turns units into sheep.

Q: What parts of a buff can I change?
    A: Buffs inherit most of their effects from the ability that created them, so edit that ability to change those effects. To edit the graphics, sounds, or descriptions of a buff you can use the "Buffs/Effects" tab of the object editor.

Q: How do I use negative numbers?
    A: In the main editor window go to "File->Preferences->General" and check "Allow negative real values in object editor".

Q: How many abilities can I have on the same object?
    A:

• 4 abilities on an item
    • 5 hero abilities on a hero
    • large number of unit abilities on a unit or hero

Q: Why don't my orb or life steal abilities stack?
    A: If a hero has more than one of these abilities, only one of them will work:

• orb abilities
    • life Steal
    • Impaling Attack
    • Cleaving Blow

This is as intended, it is meant to keep heroes balanced in melee games.

Triggers

Q: How do I copy and paste my triggers into a forum post?
    A: Select your trigger and go to "Edit->Copy As Text". Then paste your text where you want it. Your text will be much easier to read if you add [/pre ] to the start and [/pre ] to the end.

Q: Where can I find a trigger tutorial?
    A: In the World Editor go to "Help->Warcraft III World Editor Help...". Then in your web browser scroll down the menu until you get to the section named "The Trigger Editor". Click on that.

Q: Where are the triggers?
    A: Go to "Module->Trigger Editor"

Q: What are triggers for?
    A: Triggers make things happen in your map. You can do things like create units, run computer AIs, or give units orders.

Q: What is the event part of a trigger for?
    A: Events decide when the trigger will run. If you have many events the trigger will run each time any of the events happen. Some triggers have no events, and are instead called from other triggers.

Q: What is the condition part of a trigger for?
    A: Each time your trigger would be run, the conditions are checked first. The trigger only runs if all of the conditions are true. Many triggers do not have conditions, and so they run every time their event happens.
    You can use this to narrow the range of events that the trigger runs for. For example you could have an event that fires every time an item is used, then in your conditions you check to see if the item used is a healing potion, and only run the actions if it is.

Q: What is the action part of a trigger for?
    A: Actions are the most important part of a trigger. They make things happen in the game. All triggers should have at least one action.

Q: What is a Variable?

• A: A variable is a place to put information. You store a value in a variable, and then when you access it later you get back the value you stored in it.Set x = 1337
    • Game - Display to (All players) the text: (String(x))

Would display "1337" to all players.

Q: What are integers, reals, booleans, and strings?
    A: Integers are numbers without decimals (...-2, -1, 0, 1, 2...)

Reals are numbers with decimals (-12.0, -3.2, 0.0, 5.2...)
    Note that the decimal part can be zero.

A boolean is either true or false.

A string is a group of characters ("dog", "cat", "dfsf dsfsdf sd46t4")

Q: What is an array?
    A: An array is a way to store more than one value in a single variable. For example without an array you could have separate variables named Unit1 Unit2 and Unit3, or you could have one array, and access it through Unit[1], Unit[2], and Unit[3]. The advantage is that you can use functions, like Unit[1+1] would be Unit[2].

Q: What does the size of the array mean?
    A: If you access a part of an array that you have not stored anything in yet, then Warcraft may crash or people may disconnect. If you set a size for your array, then the first entries in the array will be created and initialized for you. You can still add entries beyond the original size, but make sure you assign them before you access them.

Warcraft will actually allocate space for one more entry than you ask for. For example if set an array's size to 3, then entries 0, 1, 2, 3 will all be created. This is so you can start using the array at either 0 or 1 and still have 3 entries.

Q: How do I get normal units to give gold on death like creeps?
    A: Create a trigger action "player - turn player flag (gives bounty) (on) for (player)". You can edit how much a unit-type drops under the "Bounty Awarded" section in the unit editor.

Q: How do I give a unit timed life, like a summoned unit?
    A: Unit - Add expiration timer.

Q: How do I display a number as text or use an integer where I need a real number?
    A: Use the conversion functions, like "Conversion - Convert Real to String", or "Conversion - Convert Integer to Real".

Q: How can I play imported music in my map?
    A:

• Go to "Module->Sound Editor->File->Import Sound..." and import your file.
    • Still under Sound Editor right click on the imported file and select "Use As Music".
    • In the trigger editor, create a trigger action "Sound - Play Music".
    • For "music" choose "variable" then pick the music file you imported.

Q: How do I give orders to units owned by a computer?
    A: Make sure you use "AI - Ignore Unit Guard Position" action first. Otherwise the AI will try to move the unit around. This doesn't work for neutral units though, the AI will always try to move them.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Custom Text

Only basic questions are listed here. For the full, searchable FAQ go to: http://www.elilz.com/catfaq.php?catchose=Custom%20Text

Q: How do I learn to use custom text?
    A: You can convert existing triggers to custom text, you can find triggers written in custom text by other people, and you can extract blizzard.j and common.j from war3.mpq to use as documentation. You can find some resources here JASS Tools and here: "custom text" jass - Google Search

Q: How do I make a building cancel training a unit?

A: Use the custom text function:

call IssueImmediateOrderById( udg_buildingUnit, 0x000d0008 )

If you have a global unit variable called buildingUnit, then the preceding line will cancel a unit being trained by buildingUnit. You can use the same technique to cancel upgrades or research.

Q: How do I kill all the units and share all the gold for a player who leaves the game?
    A: Use this trigger:
    Code:
    Melee Initialization

Events

Player - Player 1 (Red) leaves the game

Player - Player 2 (Blue) leaves the game

Player - Player 3 (Teal) leaves the game

Conditions

Actions

Set tempPlayerGroup = (All allies of (Triggering player))

Player Group - Remove (Triggering player) from tempPlayerGroup

Set tempInteger = (Number of players in tempPlayerGroup)

-------- We want to avoid dividing by zero if there are no allies left. --------

If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)

If - Conditions

tempInteger Greater than 0

Then - Actions

Set tempInteger = (((Triggering player) Current gold) / tempInteger)

Player Group - Pick every player in tempPlayerGroup and do (Actions)

Loop - Actions

Player - Add tempInteger to (Picked player) Current gold

Else - Actions

-------- Destroy the player group once we are done with it. --------

Custom script:   call DestroyForce( udg_tempPlayerGroup )

-------- Now kill all the leaving player's units. --------

Set tempUnitGroup = (Units owned by (Triggering player))

Unit Group - Pick every unit in tempUnitGroup and do (Actions)

Loop - Actions

Unit - Explode (Picked unit)

-------- Destroy the unit group once we are done with it. --------

Custom script:   call DestroyGroup( udg_tempUnitGroup )

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrain & Import/Export

Terrain

Q: How do I make ramps?
    A: You can find a very good tutorial here: Placing Ramps

Q: How do I make interesting terrain?

• A: Use the height modifier well. Completely flat terrain and incredibly jagged terrain both look bad. To quickly "unflatten" your map use "noise" followed by "smooth".
    • Avoid both large open areas and narrow paths. The first is boring and the second is frustrating.
    • Make your map no bigger than you need it to be. You can always increase the size later if you find you need it.
    • Put doodads and weather effects in places where they belong. Mushrooms grow under trees, cattails and rushes grow near water, fog forms in valleys, corn is planted in rows and so on.
    • Conceal things that don't look pretty with doodads. Blizzard maps are very good examples of this. Put rocks at the tops and bottoms of waterfalls to hide the fact that the waterfall is not actually attached to the rest of the water. Put a layer of doodads between deep water and shallow. Put bushes at the corners of ramps.
    • Don't try to do your terrain all at once. Your terrain can evolve along with the rest of your map.

Q: How can I change the tileset?
    A: Go to "Tools->Advanced->Modify Tileset". You can choose a tileset from there.

If you want to use parts of more than one tileset, then check the "use custom tileset" box. You are only allowed a certain amount of texture space. The number on each type of terrain indicates how much texture space it takes up. You will have to give up some pieces in order to get others.
    You cannot mix "cliff tiles". These have a red square in them, as opposed to the blue. You should base your tileset on the one with cliff tiles that you want.

Q: How can I get walls to line up neatly, or bridges to stay smooth with the terrain?
    A: Select the doodad, press and hold the CTRL key, and use the page up and page down keys to move the elevation up and down, and the numpad arrows to move it sideways.

Q: How do I make my doodads all the same size (or all different sizes)?
    A: Go to "Layer->Doodad". Now look at the palette. Near the top of the palette is a green icon that turns random scaling on or off.

Import/Export

Q: Where do I import/export files?
    A: Warcraft reads most of its data from several MPQ files. These are the files you import to or export from.

Q: What is an MPQ file?
    A: You can think of an MPQ file as a ZIP file. They store multiple files under one file name. All the game content is stored in a few MPQ files in the root directory of Warcraft. Also, all maps are MPQ files. A similar format is used for other Blizzard games, including Starcraft. MPQ files often have extensions other than ".mpq" including ".w3m" or ".w3x"

Q: What can I do with the MPQ files?

• A: You can export any game content, like the icons, models, or campaign maps.
    • You can import any new game content, like new icons, models, or sounds.
    • You can delete files from your map. Using this technique it is possible to make a semi-corrupt map that will not open in the editor, but can still be played in the game.

Q: How do I modify the MPQ files?
    A: The Import Manager built into the editor does everything for map files (except exporting base map files). To extract content from the main MPQ files you will need a 3rd party program. MPQ Viewer is one such program: infoceptor.com

Q: What are the main MPQ files?
    A:

• war3patch.mpq - files that have been updated by patches
    • war3x.mpq - files used only by The Frozen Throne (rename this file and the editor will act like the RoC editor)
    • war3xlocal.mpq - files that are localized (translated into your language)
    • war3.mpq - files used by both Reign of Chaos and The Frozen Throne

If Warcraft needs a file, it will first look in your map, if it isn't there, it will look in the main MPQ files in order. This means you can "override" most files in the main MPQ by putting a file with an identical name in your map. Do not import your files directly into the main MPQ files, this can cause you to disconnect if you play a multiplayer game.

Q: What file types are used in the main MPQ files?
    A:

• .txt - A standard text file
    • .slk - A spreadsheet, in Microsoft Excel import format
    • .blp - An image
    • .mdl - A text model file, can be edited like a text file
    • .mdx - A binary model file, not easy to edit

Q: How do I view units and models?
    A: Warcraft 3 Viewer here: http://www.wc3campaigns.com/download....php?subcat=21

Q: What are skins and models?
    A: Objects in most 3d games such as Warcraft III are created in two parts, a model and a skin. The model part is a collection of points connected to make polygons. It defines the shape of the object and any animations it may have. The skin is a picture that is "wrapped" around the object to give it color and texture.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Campaign Editor

Only basic questions are listed here. For the full, searchable FAQ go to: http://www.elilz.com/catfaq.php?catchose=Campaign%20Editor

Q: What is the Campaign Editor for?
    A: The Campaign Editor is a module within the World Editor. It opens in a separate window, like all the other modules, and it starts off with an empty campaign file. The Campaign Editor opens and saves campaign files (.w3n), which are archives which contain multiple map files, as well as any campaign specific data (custom object data, imported files) that is accessible to all of the maps in the campaign.

Q: How do I add maps to a campaign?
    A: Use the "Edit->Add Map" command while on the General tab. Once a map is added, make sure to always edit it from within the campaign by selecting it and using the "Edit->Edit Map" command. This way you don't have to continually export and re-import the map.

Q: How do I run the maps in my campaign?

• A: This is a crucial step that a lot of people miss, you need to actually use your maps from within the campaign. This can be done in two ways:load the map from a different map using the "Game - Set Next Level" trigger action (note that this is how maps have always been linked, even before the Campaign Editor existed)
    • Create a campaign screen button in the Loading Screen tab which will load the map (and make sure it is initially visible).

Q: Where can I find an example campaign?
    A: Look at the demo campaign that comes with the game, "Campaigns\DemoCampaign.w3n"

Q: How does the "Test Map" button work within a campaign?
    A: The tested map is run as an "orphan" with no connection to the campaign. If you are testing level transitions or custom units you will want to run your map from within the campaign instead.

Q: How do I make it so when my map finishes, another immediately starts, like in the single player campaign?
    A: Use the trigger action "Game - Set Next Level". This action only works correctly in single player. This will not end the map by itself, you will need a standard victory/defeat as well.

Q: How can I make maps?
    Q: How can I make triggers?

It's difficult for anyone on the message board to answer questions that aren't specific. It's a good idea to just open the World Editor and look through everything so that you get a feel for what the World Editor has and where various things are.

Q: How can I make heroes above level 10? (TFT Only)

Many of the numeric limits in the game, such as maximum hero level, can be changed in the Frozen Throne World Editor. In the Terrain Editor, go to Advanced -> Gameplay Constants. There is a long list of various settings that you can alter. Specifically for this question, you need to change 'Hero Maximum Level'.

Q: Why do some units use more than one ability when I order them to use only one?

The Warcraft III game engine handles orders by orderstrings. If two abilities on the same unit have the same orderstring, the game gets confused and tries to use both of them whenever the unit is ordered to use one of them. The only way to fix this is to base the custom abilities off of different standard abilities. Changing the orderstring field of the ability doesn't affect anything.

Q: Why do I get errors when I open the World Editor?
    Q: Why don't I see the TFT units, the Ability Editor, the Buff Editor, or something else that should be there?

You might be going blind, in which case there's nothing we can do to help. Other than that, the most common cause for this is that some kind of third-party editor was previously used. Most older third-party editors placed files in the Warcraft III\Units and Warcraft III\UI directories that are normally read from the MPQ files. 1.0x files are not compatible with 1.1x. Moving or deleting the Warcraft III\Units and Warcraft III\UI directories will fix many problems. Third-party editors also tend to add trigger events, conditions, and actions to the Trigger Editor. The standard World Editor doesn't understand anything that the third-party editor added, so it will give script errors. The only ways to fix this are to go through every trigger and change the third-party triggers to use the standard trigger events, conditions, and actions, or to delete the triggers and remake them. The best solution is to not use any third-party editors at all.

Q: How do I get rid of the Town Hall and Peasants that players automatically get at their starting location?

Go into the Trigger Editor and remove the Create Starting Units action from the Melee Initialization trigger. If you are making a custom game (not a normal ladder-style map), you'll probably want to remove the entire Melee Initialization trigger.

Q: How can I change normal units into heroes?

The short answer: you can't. Custom heroes must be based on standard heroes. If you want a hero to look like a normal unit, create a custom version of some hero and change the Art- Model field to whatever unit you want.

Q: How do I use negative values for spells?

In the Terrain Editor (the main World Editor window), go to File -> Preferences and check the box labeled "Allow Negative Real Values." As of patch 1.13, you can also hold the shift key while double-clicking on a field in the Object Editor to override the normal limits for that field. This shift-double-click trick also works for values in the Advanced - Gameplay Constants menu.

Q: How do I add bounties to units?

In a trigger that runs at map initialization, use the Player- Turn Player Flag On/Off action to turn on the Gives Bounty flag for the player whose units will give gold when they die. The Stats- Bounty fields for the units must also be set in the Unit Editor.

Q: How are damage and bounties calculated?

B = Base
    N = Number of Dice
    S = Sides Per Die

For the examples, let B = 4, N = 2, S = 6

If you're familiar with D&D, it's quite simple. The computer just rolls NdS + B. Using the example values above, you'd get 2d6 + 4, for a range of 6-16, with 11 being the most common result.

Now, for those not familiar with D&D. The computer generates N random numbers between 1 and S (well, actually pseudo-random; if you don't know what that means, don't worry about it). The computer adds up these N numbers and adds B to get the final result. Using the values above, the computer generates 2 numbers between 1 and 6 (essentially rolls a 6-sided die), adds them together, then adds 4 to get the result. If the random numbers are 3 and 5, the total is 3 + 5 + 4 = 12.

Q: How can I get rid of the lag in the World Editor?

Other than having slow hardware, the most common cause is the Brush List. From the Terrain Editor, go to the Window menu and disable the Brush List.

I made a trigger with "A Unit Finishes Casting An Ability". It runs, but it doesn't work correctly. What's wrong with it?

For some reason, The event Finishes casting an ability does not set the event responses Target unit of ability being cast and Target point of ability being cast. You should use the event Starts the effect of an ability instead.

Q: Why do heroes stop gaining experience after level 5?

By default, heroes no longer get any experience from creeps after they reach level 5. This can be altered in the Gameplay Constants list. The setting is Hero XP Gained- Creep Reduction Table. This is a list of numbers that determine what percentage of normal experience heroes get from creeps as the hero gains levels. If there are fewer numbers than the maximum hero level, higher levels use the last value in the list. By default, the fifth number is 0. If you change the number to something higher than 0, heroes will continue to gain experience from creeps when they reach level 5.

Q: Why does the game crash when I play my map?

There are many different causes for this. If any units have the Devour or Transport abilities, they also must have the appropiate Cargo abilities.

Q: How can I change the model of Starfall, Blizzard, or Rain of Fire?
    Q: How can I change the graphics for buffs (Slow Poison, Bloodlust, etc.)? (TFT Only)

As of 1.13, the TFT World Editor has a Buff/Effect Editor that can do this. If you don't have TFT, you'll have to use the old method of editing text files. (link to tutorial soon to come)

Q: How do I make a trigger action that orders a unit to use a custom ability?

Order the unit to use the base ability of the custom ability. What actually determines issued orders is the orderstring of the ability. Custom abilities have the same orderstring as their base ability. Changing the orderstring field of an ability doesn't actually affect this.

Q: How do I make a spell hit multiple targets?

You have to use triggers. Basic things you need:

# A dummy spell based off of Channel. This is the ability you give to your unit/hero, and its only purpose is to start the trigger.
    # A custom version of whatever spell you want to be cast on the targets. This custom spell should cost 0 mana.
    # A dummy unit that has your custom ability and no model file; giving it a model path of _ (an underscore) works well. You probably also want to give it no shadow image and the Locust ability so that it can't be accidentally killed.

You then need this for a trigger:

Code:
    Event

A unit starts the effect of an ability

Condition

Ability being cast equal to YourDummySpell

Actions

Pick every unit within 400 of (target point of ability being cast)

matching (owner of matching unit is an enemy of owner of casting unit) and do

Create 1 DummyCaster for owner of casting unit at position of picked unit

Add a 1 second expiration timer to last created unit

Order last created unit to cast Banish on picked unit

Obviously, you can adjust the range and conditions to your desire.

Xantan is offline Banned User Array
    nevada, usa, north nv -- small town near carson city (thecapital, yo)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow sick post man great faq for noobs ;o

y'all got some interesting collection of info here at d3scene o.o

Extor595 is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey I made a custom hero how do i save him so i can use him????? Please reply soon.
    Last edited by Extor595; 09-13-2009 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Forgot something

alyon4444 is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    how do i import a custom look for a hero?