Requesting Help for Auto Hotkeys tool or is it even possible to make this mod?

This is a discussion on Requesting Help for Auto Hotkeys tool or is it even possible to make this mod? within the Warcraft 3 forum board part of the Hot Games category; I have always wanted to make a mod to improve the hotkeys in wc3 , not to cheat just to ...

hotkeyMODwanted is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requesting Help for Auto Hotkeys tool or is it even possible to make this mod?

I have always wanted to make a mod to improve the hotkeys in wc3, not to cheat just to make the game a bit less work and more fun. I was wondering if anybody has any knowledge on whether or not a mod like this is possible? I would be willing to put in the time to work on coding this myself if I knew anything about modding, but I have a feeling that what I want is just not possible.

I created a new and improved custom hotkeys setup and I posted this guide on reddit. I really like how Autohotkey works to reconfigure certain hotkeys like inventory, but I want to take it one step further. Is there anyway to make an auto-grouping tool that automatically sets units to a # key. So say a player has F1 for hero, 1 for grunts, 2 for raiders, 3 for casters, 4 demolishers peons, etc... currently we have to keep hitting Ctrl + # everytime a new unit is trained. But what if there was a way to make an "autohotkey script" to detect units when they spawn, and instantly add them to our unit groups without pressing Ctrl each time they spawn?

Autohotkey is capable of detecting certain things within the game, and assigning specific actions to macrokeys. I have messed around with AHK quite a bit, and I do understand how it works a little bit as for setting up inventory, I am just not sure of how it would detect units exactly. I dont know if people would think this is dumb or not, but I think it would be awesome thank you!

Edit/Update:
    I have been testing AHK some more and was able to find a way to make AHK detect images within the game, so I can set it to detect the icons and click them, but it doesnt work so well with moving units... so Im thinking in order for this to work it would have to be through some other mod tool that can actually detect units within the game rather than just static images

Edit #2
    So Ive been reading about CheatEngine and found that I can use CE and AHK together to achieve this, but I do not know much about hex editing. I read some beginner tutorials on how to change the HP of a unit or change the amount of food supply I have, but I do not know how to locate the type of units within CheatEngine. I tried searching for armor and attack values based on upgrades, but I really have no clue what I am doing. I feel like I am in the right direction, and that this might be possible if I put the time and effort into it. But I could really use some help
    Last edited by hotkeyMODwanted; 05-27-2017 at 08:14 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hotkeyMODwanted For This Useful Post:

Kakura is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkeyMODwanted View Post
    Edit #2
    So Ive been reading about CheatEngine and found that I can use CE and AHK together to achieve this, but I do not know much about hex editing. I read some beginner tutorials on how to change the HP of a unit or change the amount of food supply I have, but I do not know how to locate the type of units within CheatEngine. I tried searching for armor and attack values based on upgrades, but I really have no clue what I am doing. I feel like I am in the right direction, and that this might be possible if I put the time and effort into it. But I could really use some help
    Edit: I missread. :/ poor english hehe
    Last edited by Kakura; 05-31-2017 at 08:23 AM.

hotkeyMODwanted is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Kakura - you responded to my last paragraph as if you did not read the other ones... I am not trying to make a gold/food mod

Please re-read the following:
    Quote Originally Posted by hotkeyMODwanted View Post
    I have always wanted to make a mod to improve the hotkeys in wc3.

Is there anyway to make an auto-grouping tool that automatically sets units to a # key? So say a player has F1 for hero, 1 for grunts, 2 for raiders, 3 for casters, 4 demolishers peons, etc... currently we have to keep hitting Ctrl + # everytime a new unit is trained. But what if there was a way to make an "autohotkey script" to detect units when they spawn, and instantly add them to our unit groups without pressing Ctrl each time they spawn?

I have been testing AHK some more and was able to find a way to make AHK detect images within the game, so I can set it to detect the icons and click them, but it doesnt work so well with moving units... so Im thinking in order for this to work it would have to be through some other mod tool that can actually detect units within the game rather than just static images

I do not know how to locate the type of units within CheatEngine. I tried searching for armor and attack values based on upgrades, but I really have no clue what I am doing.
    Last edited by hotkeyMODwanted; 05-31-2017 at 01:21 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to hotkeyMODwanted For This Useful Post: