Change IP Adress fast and slow

This is a discussion on Change IP Adress fast and slow within the Warcraft 3 forum board part of the Hot Games category; So many threads about ip-ban from dota , realms, forums... whatever. maybe your internet is lagging balls and you just ...

forgotmylogin is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change IP Adress fast and slow

So many threads about ip-ban from dota, realms, forums... whatever. maybe your internet is lagging balls and you just want to change your ip address for a shot at reducing lag

Here is the slow way: turn your modem off overnight and if your ISP gives you a dynamic ip address, you should have a new one when you turn it back on

If that doesn't work or you just aren't the patient type, here are two fast methods i've used when banned from forums in the past that i find come in handy when realm-banned

1. The router method
    Enter your router's address in your browser. It should be something like 192.168.1.1
    pic1

if that address doesnt bring you to a router login page, you may have a different router and its address will be different. go to PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and you should be able to find your router's ip address.

More specifically, go to PortForward.com - Free Help Setting up Your Router or Firewall and find the type of router you have. if you dont know, physically LOOK at your router and see if it says anything on it like the types listed. click on your type of router and just click on a random guide, the wc3 one if you want. then scroll down a bit and youll see it has the router ip address you need to enter

Here ive said my router is
    Adaptec

and i went to the warcraft guide to find its ip address

now youve entered that number in your browser it should pull up a login screen or login box. go to the SAME PAGE on portforward.com to learn your default login info. for MY ROUTER the default is to leave username blank and enter "admin" for password. for the AWM 8084, it is to enter admin for username and leave password blank. use the portforward site to learn what it is for your router.

if the default login doesnt work, it probably means your parents/roommates or whoever already created non-default login info. you can either ask them about it or reset the router. to reset most routers you have to get a paperclip and push it into a little hole and hold it there for 30 seconds on a button until all the lights blink. unplugging a router does not reset it.

next you need to go to the MAC address page for your router. on mine it looks like this

you will be changing the last 2 digits, the ones ive circled in green. do not change any digits but the last 2. then press save settings.

next unplug your modem and router. wait 30-45 seconds and plug your modem back in. wait another 30-45 seconds and plug your router back in. that should do it. at this stage you should be able to just unplug/plug in the modem and use dhcp refresh/renew with router but just unplugging them both and then plugging modem back in first is easier.

And now to make this guide ive typed seem like a total waste of time, heres a link to a video that tells you what to do in 1:16
    How To Change Your IP Address If You Have A Router - Video

2. Without a router
    Open command prompt. Should be in start-windows-accessories
    type ipconfig /all
    right click the text and press "select all"
    press enter
    all the text from the command prompt window should now be copied to your clipboard, so open a notepad window and paste it. youll need this information

go to control panel and open network connections
    right click on the connection you use to give you internet and click "properties"

now under General, Click on TCP/IP protocol and hit "properties"

this is probably the most difficult part of the guide, but you should find it very easy.
    change "obtain address automatically" to "use the following"

then fill in the information you got from ipconfig. type it all exactly as you have it copied in your notepad file. then click "use the following dns server(s) and enter two of the DNS servers you have in your notepad file.

now change the last 3 digits of your ip address as youve entered it. what you change them to must be different from what they were before. it also must be a number 0-255. finally, not all of those numbers might be available so you might want to ping them before changing it. to do this open command prompt and type "ping XXXXXXXXXX" where the xs are the ip address you want to use. if it times out its safe to use. in any case you can just try diff 0-255 numbers in those last 3 digits to see if one works.

once youve pressed OK you may have to unplug modem, restart computer but i think you just press ok and wait a few seconds then it works.

try unplugging the modem and plugging it back in and if internet doesnt work then restart, if still doesnt work then try another last 3 digits

remember you can always go back to "obtain ip address automatically" and "obtain dns automatically" and the priest will forgive all your sins and let you back online on what will probably be your old ip address unless it's been a few days since you used it.

just as a small recap, method 1 is for if you have a router. method 2 is for if you do NOT have a router. you can not use them interchangeably, you have to use one or the other depending on whether or not you use a router. some people can just unplug their modem and wait an hour and they get a new ip address. this doesnt work for others such as myself. also, you might want to change it in 5 minutes and that might be all the downtime your roommates will tolerate from the router. once you have been on your new ip address for a few days, changing back to "obtain automatically"/your original mac address probably wont set you back to your old ip address.

with the 2nd method it may be possible to change more than the last 3 digits but basically it would be a blind shot as youre trying to find an ip your isp will talk to you on and you only know for a fact that the last 0-255 range is covered.
    with the first method i believe you can change more than the last digits of the mac address but i just change the last 2 so w/e.

i created this guide because it seems like every time the ip-address thread gets made, 7 people say "unplug your router and plug it back in again" and that isnt a viable solution for everyone

forgotmylogin is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, when you change your mac address, it has to be in the hexadecimal range, so dont change it to X5 or something, keep the digits in the range 0-F

Reinn is offline Multi-qouter

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ty for sharing, but next time, Don't double post, jost EDIT...
    Last edited by Reinn; 08-21-2008 at 08:20 PM.
    // Reinn

Serverman is offline Paranoia!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to know your internal IP adress you would have to go
    Start>Run>cmd>ipconfig -all You should really add that too, not all know it But it usually varies from 192.168.1.2-192.168.1.101 ^^
    My car is not leaking oil?
    Its marking its territory!