Draw on Screen iIn Game?

This is a discussion on Draw on Screen iIn Game? within the Warcraft 3 forum board part of the Hot Games category; Original Message Well, I've read a bunch of forums in the tools and hacks sections, but have not been able ...

Wynthar is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy Draw on Screen in Game?

Original Message
    Well, I've read a bunch of forums in the tools and hacks sections, but have not been able to find anything to help with this question.

I'm interested in coding a tool that will be a "timer." Perhaps some people are uberleet and always keep track mentally what the time is in the game and what's about to happen. But, I would love to have a little timer in the corner of the screen that counts down from 2 minutes for rune spawns, and counts down every 30 seconds for regular creep spawns, and perhaps even a neutral creep spawn countdown.

I was thinking about Banlist and how it shows text on top of the warcraft3 screen. But the question is...

How does one go about writing text (graphics?) on top of the warcraft 3 screen?

Does it require DirectX? C# is preferred, but I could use C++ too. I am just looking for some guidance towards what could be used to start painting/writing while in game.

Thanks for thoughts.

P.S. Please don't flame the idea! =) Maybe I don't want to look at the already built in game clock?
    Well. I have been googling, reading, googling some more. I've learned a couple things.

Banlist uses a "DirectX-API hook" in order to render font on the screen. This is exactly what I want to do. I have already downloaded the DirectX SDK a while back. So, I've been looking into the DirectX classes. But, I still need help.

I found the Banlist source code, but I have no idea what language it's in (I'm sure I could figure it out if I googled it) but I was able to find where they grab the hook and it's really useless to me.

Code:
      begin
        ForceForeGroundWindow(Handle);
        while getforegroundwindow <> handle do
          application.ProcessMessages;
        w := Get8087CW;
        if not HookFunctions_GetPtr(Handle) then
        begin
          AddToLog('Unable to get pointers for DirectX-API hook.', ICON_DX);
          hookTries := -1;
        end
        else
          hookTries := 0; // ready to hook
        Set8087CW(w);
      end;
    LoL. Simple google search on Get8087CW results in a Delphi message about that routine. So, apparently we know the language now. But I wasn't really able to understand what the function (pardon me "routine") does. I also understand the idea behind this, but how would I translate it to C# (Preferred) C++/Java (I've used...)?

Ideally, I'd like to do something like.
    Find Process -> Warcraft 3
    DirectX -> Get Hook -> Warcraft 3 Process
    DirectX -> CreateText -> Draw on Hook

Ta dah, we have text on top of the full screen warcraft 3 window...

Thoughts?
    Last edited by Wynthar; 03-28-2009 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Updated Due To Some Researching....

Wynthar is offline Advanced Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [C++] PrintChat Fxn for 1.23 - BWHacks
    Here is a link with some details related to what I'm trying to do thanks to sd333221.

This will accomplish what I want using offsets. I would still like to find a tutorial or something on how to do it with directx and war3.