WCG on US West

This is a discussion on WCG on US West within the Warcraft 3 forum board part of the Hot Games category; I wasn't too sure where to ask this, but I guess this is as good a place as any. Anyways, ...

asdflsh is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WCG on US West

I wasn't too sure where to ask this, but I guess this is as good a place as any. Anyways, I've seen people playing with the WCG icon on the US West server, and I've been wondering how they play WCG from Lordaeron. Would anyone here be able to help me? Thanks in advance!

SephX is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WCGZone:

1. About GamOn
    2. How to install/play
    3. About how the GamOn ladder works

1:

As some of you may have heard WCG has launched monthly leagues with prizes for the top 3 finishers (Front page article: here ).

This has attracted quite a few good players, such as Spirit_Moon, WE.IGE.Soju, Axslav (the real mccoy!), and a few other really great players who are yet to be identified. It is growing still.

This will probably make it the most competitive and most played form of ladder for serious players. I assume next month's league will have even more attendance/higher quality of players than the current one.

In other words, for good practice and possible rewards, WCG Mercury monthly ladders are the best.

2:

The first step is to register on WCG Zone, which can be done here (NOTE: You can change the language to Korean in the top right of the WCG Zone screen):

WCGZONE: Enjoy life in the Virtual Playground

Simply go through the questions and answer them truthfully. I would also suggest puting your actual information (i.e. real birthday and name) since some of it cannot be edited later, and if you were to ever win a prize, having your actual information would be helpful.

Also, when entering the battle.net ID you will use for WCG Mercury, choose an account which has already been created (NOTE: Battle.net ID must be on US East)- or just create it before you register, otherwise there will be complications (to change your Battle.net ID for WCG Mercury, go to wcgzone.com, go to "My Zone" on that page you will see a list of leagues you're in and your battle.net ID for them. If you have not played a game in the league yet, you can change your ID by clicking the "Edit" button by the name. If there is no edit button by your battle.net ID, you cannot change it.)

Once you have finished registering go here:

http://wcgzone.com/league/LG_Index.wcz

Scroll down a little bit on this page and you will see a large orange tab in the bottom left of the screen that says: "GamOn Download"

Select this and download the executable. Now, run the executable and go through the installation process.

Once you have registered on WCG Zone and installed GamOn, there should be a "WCGZone" icon on your desktop, or at least, a WCGZone executable somewhere.

Run the WCGZone program and it should prompt you to put in your account name/password (your WCGZone account name/password, not your battle.net- unless you made them one-in-the-same).

After you sign in and the program is running, load up warcraft.

Log on to US East using the battle.net ID (WCG Mercury is on US east and no other servers, you must be on US east to play on it) you chose for WCG Mercury <see installation instructions above for more on this>. Now, click on "Play Game" in battle.net (where you choose what type of ladder game to play). At the bottom of the list of gametypes there should now be a "WCG Mercury" one. Select this, make your map choices and then hit play game to play.

Good luck!

3:

The WCG Mercury ladder system is pretty simple. When you search for a game, you get matched up with ANYONE else who is searching for a game. There is no ELL, and you can play the same person an infinite amount of times, so you get matched up with people of any record/ranking who are searching, even if you have just played them.

This bring to mind ideas of abusing the system and playing your friends over and over. Theoretically this can be done, because if you leave in the first 2 minutes of a game it gives a tie (you will meet people who do this to avoid good opponents, do note though that it is considered an abuse and if WCG Zone suspects you are doing this you will possibly be banned) so they can just keep searching until they get their friends.

However, if they ended up on the top of the ladder and all of their games were against their friend, and they gave ties to everyone else, they'd probably be banned and their prizes given to the next person in place. Not to mention, they'd be getting a very small amount of points, which brings me to how the point system works.

How many points you get for a win, or lose for a loss depends on how many points you and your opponent has. If your opponent has a lot more points than you, you will win quite a few points for a win, and lose a small amount of points for a loss. Obviously if you have a lot more than them, you get only a few for a win, and lose a lot for a loss.

When you run the WCG Zone program and sign in it will bring you to a screen showing a ladder and a list of games. You can go through these to see different ladders. The current warcraft ladder is: "WCGZone Monthly Leage (2006.07)" which is listed under Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

If you go there you will see a series of tabs. Two that you will become familiar with are "My League" and "Ranking". By clicking on Ranking you can see the current rankings of that ladder. By clicking on My League you can see the results of your previous games. Also, you will see a little siren next to the games. By clicking on these sirens you can make an appeal.

When to make an appeal? If you won a game for example, and for some reason it showed up as a loss, you could make an appeal and submit the replay file and they would change the result.

If someone leaves in first 2 minutes (which gives a tie) multiple times on you, reporting them will give you the wins and probably get them banned.

If you disconnect from a game, you can take a screenshot of you being disconnected and send it in on an appeal to the game so that the other person doesn't force loss on you also.

However, it should be noted that the monthly leagues don't seem to be well monitored like the WCG Qualies were. I haven't had a single appeal ruled on/attended to yet, so I just stopped appealing. Perhaps they will up their attention on appeals for the monthly leagues, but for now, it's probably not even worth the effort.

Regardless, if you want credit for your wins, I would suggest saving all of your WCG Mercury games.

Anyway, I think other things you don't quite understand can be found in the wcgzone faq, but I hope this helped some people confused about how to install/play on wcgzone, perhaps this only complicated it!

Full Thread: Read this before you start a new thread (Updated August 16) - WCReplays.com Community Forums

asdflsh is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the help, but I'm trying to get onto WCG from US West, not East

THMS is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm usually its the same thing...you just pick a different realm..

ademp1 is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it says to me that i need to update server?? on that lil thing i downloadedwith the wcg icon the gameon thing?? pm me please!

ELiteChiLd- is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ademp1 View Post
    it says to me that i need to update server?? on that lil thing i downloadedwith the wcg icon the gameon thing?? pm me please!

WCG is nolonger supported !! wont work !

ademp1 is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok so i cant get the wcg in wc3 anymore?