Question...

This is a discussion on Question... within the Warcraft 3 Hacks, bots and tools board part of the Warcraft 3 forum category; Hello, although I am not entirely certain if this post is in its proper location, I have been wondering for ...

Xenoism is offline Wannabe Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question...

Hello, although I am not entirely certain if this post is in its proper location, I have been wondering for some time now if something was in any ways possible to do...

That is, if there is any way that someone out there with proper knowledge of wc3's inner workings could by some means construct a tool that increases the difficulty of the standard wc3 computer opponents in single player mode. Possibly through loading known replays the AI could "learn" different strategies and or play styles that are more contemporary to modern players.

Needless to say, I enjoy playing on battle net, yet at times, I'd like to practice on opponents without necessarily having to smurf. Sure, I can vs a "very hard" computer...however...even when toying around they rarely present much of a challenge.

I am not certain if this is even possible and was simply wondering if one with more intelligence on the matter could discuss or even inform me why or why it could not be possible.

Thank you for the time reading this inquiry. I appreciate the feedback

Tracky is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Sure, it may be possible.
    But it'll be a pain in the ass, since there'd be a change in the WHOLE game needed.
    I doubt, there will be anyone able to code something like that.

So in the end -> No, it's not "possible" in my opinion.
    But someone with more knowledge may comment to it.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply.

Hearing that it is even "possible" in at least some regard is a very interesting thought actually.
    The magnitude of such a project sounds to be the real major issue in terms of making such a tool...
    I am actually some what surprised that a team has not gotten together and made a kind of
    collaborative tool in the many years that w3c has been around, although I of course cannot speak since
    I have next to no knowledge about how these things work...it simply seems that case that this would be something
    greatly desired by anybody playing wc3. But then again, I can hardly speak for everybody lol

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Xenoism For This Useful Post:

Serverman is offline Paranoia!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do not have any insight at all when it comes to wc3, but it should be possible.
    However that is just the theory. Unless someone gets the source from blizzard, one would have to disasemble the program and use ASM to code. Not only that, but it would most likely need a brand new AI coded from scratch. AI is really hard to make. REALLY.
    so in theory it is possible, but it is not doable in real life.
    My car is not leaking oil?
    Its marking its territory!

dapeng_zi is offline Master Hacker

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    it is definitely possbile,

for example Qazzy programs bots that play wc3 games (win bot),
    although it only rushes, it is still the same idea.

you just have to spend a LONG time programming the AI's into something close of an actual ladder player.

Back2MyRoots is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It Has To Be Possible Because When Blizzard Made Warcraft They Had To Do This To Make The AI Comps They Have Made In It; Also There Is Dota AI Which Is Made By A Person And It Is Made To Deny / Last Hit So There Has To be Some Way To Do With Regular Ladder Maps.
    I Think This Would Be Nice Also At Least A 85% Ladder Player AI Comp To Boost My Skill Just A Little Bit
    Last edited by Back2MyRoots; 10-14-2010 at 02:00 AM.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is true, there are a few "player-made" AI systems out there for certain custom games...although not many from what I've seen. So it must be very possible and to some extent manageable. It is true though that in the case of CGs....it is typically only a single map that the AI is made to play on, and in the case of a regular ladder style computer it would have to be operational on quite a few maps....but my thought is simply that there may be some possibility that the AI could be developed through the implement of "pro" replays...maybe after so many replays have been "added" to a kind of database....the AI can begin to discern what actions a professional player typically does in certain scenarios. Idk....again I am simply a wishful thinker in some regard, I have no experience in this sort of thing so of course in my mind it sounds somewhat doable, but without any knowledge of what actually goes into the coding...I cannot really say much.

Mads is offline Formerly Zo8

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd say it's possible in theory, however close to impossible in practice. I doubt anyone would use hours and hours of work to create a harder AI; and even then, it would probably just do the same thing everytime (like qazzy's bot).
    So, I do think that it is possible for insane programmers if they are willing to invest tons of hours into the project, but I doubt that will happen. So yes and no.