How To Run Multiple WC3 Instances for A Personal LAN Party

This is a discussion on How To Run Multiple WC3 Instances for A Personal LAN Party within the Warcraft 3 Hacks, bots and tools board part of the Warcraft 3 forum category; A week ago, I decided to get back into WC3 after about a year-long hiatus, and was perusing the plethora ...

DimLink is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How To Run Multiple WC3 Instances for A Personal LAN Party

A week ago, I decided to get back into WC3 after about a year-long hiatus, and was perusing the plethora of new custom maps and utilities that have become available in my absence when I got the idea in my head to host my of LAN game, and run multiple instances of WC3 so that I could host my own RPG game with multiple characters to allow me to use the save and load functions that are becoming increasingly popular.

I spent some quality time with Google and found that this was a popular idea, but a lot of people were having trouble hosting their own LAN games, with the "Could Not Connect To Network" error being a popular citation. After spending a couple days casually toying with it, I determined that I could connect to my own LAN games in patch 1.23, but not in patch 1.24+ (NOTES: I am running Windows XP, and attempted using kloader, TFTLaunch3, and multiple installs of the game run from different user accounts in order to get around this, but none of the worked for me; I even tried using different legit CD keys, but to no avail).

So, the Solution to the problem of hosting your own LAN games is to revert back to patch 1.23, which can be done with a utility called Warcraft Version Switcher. But with this solution, I have only furthered my conundrum. I want to run some RPG maps via LAN for myself. The problem is that in patch 1.23 the max file size of a custom map was 4mb, and it wasnt upgraded to 8mb until 1.24b. I have 3 ideas for working around this;
    1) Have a bot autohost the map
    2)Connect to one of the other WC3 servers
    3) Store the map info for larger maps in an MPQ file (read about this in a thread i found via google)

I suspect the 3rd option would very likely work, but i would rather not deal around with all of the tinkering that would involve. It is the 1stand 2nd options that I feel are most likely to work. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether this will work or not?

ice_tee is offline Addict
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be able to post links or images your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 1 posts.

Please remove links from your message, then you will be able to submit your post.[COLOR="Silver"]
    remove the spaces

w w w. pla y d o ta. com/ fo rums/ 175 589/ tw o-w3s - r un ni ng-on e-co mpu te r

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ice_tee For This Useful Post: