Complete Free for All Guide [FFA]

This is a discussion on Complete Free for All Guide [FFA] within the Warcraft 3 Strategies and replays board part of the Warcraft 3 forum category; FFA Guide By Archimonde [ Introduction ] While I've only won like less then 20 games for FFA, I do ...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Archimonde is offline Premium Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complete Free for All Guide [FFA]

FFA Guide
    By Archimonde

[Introduction]
    While I've only won like less then 20 games for FFA, I do have a large win ratio for these games. I used practice accounts to figure out strategies good players used to win and copied them, eventually using my main to get some nice FFA wins. This will be garanteed by far the longest thing I've written. So be ready to read large blocks of text. (besides my college app Paper)

[Table of Contents]
    • FFA Information
    • Detailed Introduction to FFA
    • Tips
    • Orc
    • Undead
    • Night Elf
    • Human
    • Credits
    • Changelog
    [FFA Information]
    Alright, FFA stands for Free for All. This means you will be playing 3 other people for an FFA win. It's really hard to get a good win ratio for FFA because ANYONE can win in Free for All. Using hacks, you can find weak players and ambush them to get level 6 as fast you can. Hacking gives a huge advantage. It still only displays "Player 1", "Player 2", "Player 3", or "Player 4", even if your using hacks, This guide will explain how to win Free for All Games with stratagies I've used to win pretty quickly.

[FFA Abuse]
    It's a longshot, but use 4 computers to search FFA and you just might be playing some of yourself. It would be pretty sweet to play yourself on FFA, because you have complete control of the game. If another REAL player is in the game, you can rush that player with another computer. (TOWER!!) It would be pretty damn annoying.

[Detailed Introduction to FFA]
    This is the only type of game besides Random 4v4 that does not require micro (except for heroes, of course ^_^). It makes Warcraft look like Starcraft. Good players no longer have huge advantages. ing is expected. Hackers, who I assume is everyone here have a good advantage in FFA because well, they can pretty much see everything going on. Every search resets your FFA map up/down thing. Be sure to down Hurricane Isle (because it's just islands) and another map of your choice.

[Tips]
    Be sure, you don't want that early of a hero because if you get an early hero with no units, you won't be able to creep. Creeping is 90% in FFA. 10% is killing the other players. Creeping gives you the items and XP you need to engage the other players. This is where human militia come in for creeping larger creeps. You want to expo ASAP. The 2 races that are able to do this with no delay for tech are Night Elf and Orc because they have a stronger lumber advantage. If you have a late tech, right after finishing Tier 2, You will want to hit Tier 3 ASAP. You want to pay attention to opponent building when you are not creeping because usually opponents who are weak make good food, especially if they have a large army of footmen or ghouls, for example. Killing players also includes people who disconnect and leave for some reason. Gaining advantage is easy and always plan on getting 3 heroes.

[Top 5 Most Annoying Level 10 Heroes]
      1. Paladin [Seriously, 45 second invincibility is like, the end of all things]
      2. Blademaster
      3. Tauren Chieftain [Unkillible, with his ultimate. Biggest hero in the game with bloodlust. Especially if your UD and possess enemy workers and manage to get UD hero//Paladin//Tauren Chieftain]
      4. Preistess of the Moon [Wrecks your entire army if kept alive, which is easy considering the amount of gold a good player gets on FFA with invunerability potions and other crap. Starfall = gg mass Wyrms]
      5. Crypt Lord [Hes Buff, And he controls a bunch locusts that wrecks at your army like a nerd who just lost his computer.]
    Until you get Tier 3, your max should be 50/50 food, so your still getting 10 gold per miner. This allows you the time to build up your Tier 3 Structures for bigger units like Wyrms, Chims, and Tauren. You have to watch out for the units your opponents are getting because you are able to counter them quickly especially if a good amount of hacks. Towers are pretty important in FFA, to defend Expos and stop opponent's incoming to stall time for your TP. Remember to always keep a TP on all your heroes so you don't lose heroes. If you do lose a hero, always use Tavern (if there is a tavern) to revive, because the revival time is too long unless your Level 1. Most of the time FFA players have extremely low lumber, especially Undead or Orc. You need to get a shredder, while human has the ability to upgrade their lumber cabapilities and Night Elf and Spot off trees forever. EVENTUALLY, the map will run out of lumber and you won't be able to get any.
    Triple up on shops for orbs, the items stocked on one shop is never enough. Auras are very important and look pretty sweet too. When massing, Auras can make the difference. UPGRADING is one of the most important too. With all the money on the map, you should be able to get EVERYTHING upgraded.

[Twisted Meadows]
    The smallest FFA map you can encounter, if played quick, the game could end in less then half an hour. You must expo, however, with the limited creeps, you need to get a zepplin to get to the back, where the dragons are guarding the gold mines. The first player to attack is who you should hit. If his units get damaged, and he TPs, they're dead. If he doesn't see, he's dead. This map is deadly, you must take advantage when you can.

[Ending the Game Quickly]
    Usually the game ends quicker when people suck/leave, most I've encountered were humans who have like 3 towers and hoarde gold forever. You can hit these players as if they were creeps because it is like free XP for you. TAKE ADVANTAGE OF MERCENARIES, most are stronger then Tier 1 units and if you have plentiful gold, you shuold be able to get a bunch. They have fun abilities, including slow/poison/heal and also are able to attack well.

[Comeback]
    I've done it, I've seen it, it's pretty awesome. Just because your entire army is dead, even if your main is dead, does not make you dead. If you control enough gold mines, you might be able to get the game back into your hands. (Only if you aren't the last player left in the game.

[End Tips]
    Starting this guide, you will recieve strategies for each race on what to get and how to counter. For more Tips, Visit Bnet's Warcraft III - Basics -> FFA Tips. ( some of this crap isn't real though. )

[Orc]
    Why is orc the first? Orc is my favorite race in FFA. They have the biggest units and most awesome Heroes that can control FFA and help you win. First of all, you want to start with NO GRUNTS, just Far Seer First. Farsight isn't needed if you are hacking, and also Wolves are great for tanking creeps. Why not grunts you ask? Get Headhunters. Headhunters are the late game Anti-Air when you upgrade Berserkers, because Berserkers have piercing and have great synergy with orc casters. Orc doesn't have to delay tech because they're lumber comes fairly fast in the beginning. You should be able to creep gold mines on any map pretty fast if you micro against the creeps well. Continue to creep throughout until you hit Tier 2, then continue by getting the Tauren Chieftain. Why TC and not BM? TC is able to tank, stomp (which brings Night Elf units out of Shadowmeld for a few seconds) and a good endurance aura and Revival that is VERY good for late game. Blademaster is always third in Line. Basically your final Army will have: All Upgrades completed, Lots of Berserkers, Farseer, TC, Blademaster, Shaman (unless opponent has breakers, Destroyers don't apply cause Berserkers get through them pretty quickly), Troll Witch Doctor (Healing Ward is the #1) and a few Tauren (for extra Tanking for your mass ranegd). This army is virtually unstoppable. If opponent has extra air, you might want to get some Wind Riders or Batriders for Anti Air.

[Versus Orc]
    It's funny, because most orc don't follow the strategy I use and are not able to get a good enough Anti-Air army. If you are versing a orc who is blindly massing Tauren and Shaman, get Mass Wind Riders and try to keep your heroes alive from the quick attacking Bloodlusted Tauren. With the tips above, your heroes should have a good advantage versus an enemy orcs hero. Stun Wards are very helpful versus the enemy melee army. The stun is fairly long and will allow Wind Riders to kill through the tauren pretty easily. Attacking the orc base, however, Towers that are placed well can be extremely annoying because Orc has the fastest attacking towers and work GREAT, especially if the fortified armor is upgraded for Orc. This is the place where Far Seer uses his far sight effectively when you are hacking, because you still need True sight to see invisible units. Remember to upgrade, orcs usually forget because mostly they see no need for an early War Mill, while you know to get Headhunters early on in the game to prevent the use of obsolete grunts late game. If you accidentally get a grunt, suicide it, it's pretty much using up your food. A running orc who forgot a TP is easy to ambush, even without Ensnare. Just Stomp / Block with units.

[Versus Night Elf]
    Night Elf pretty much just dies versus a full head on battle. Aim at the Preistess with Blademaster to prevent starfall, if they focus fire, just wind walk. Berserkers automatically kill the Chimera/Hippogryphs thanks to berserk/lust. Tauren are able to crush through bears thanks to bloodlust. Your heroes will gain a pretty good amount of XP. Rarely Night Elf will get mountain giants because 7 food for only a 1600 HP is a lot and giants attack slow and can't stop the orc Beat-down. The Level 6 Buff Demon Version of Demon hunter is not to be feared as long as your army is just as good. Just because the Demon hunter has a good evasion and strong health doesn't mean it is unkillible. Simple Keep him down with orb of lightning (continuous Purges) and then focus fire when the army is finished off. Stomp is useful to prevent Teleport/uncloak the Shadowmelded night elf units. Night Elf Players usually never get faerie dragons, but if they do, remember they effect your casters pretty negatively because blood is a 40 mana autocast, which makes it used ALOT. Remember to micro your Witch Docs for Mass Heal Wards, which pretty much makes your army invincible.

[Versus Human]
    Human pretty much isn't that big of a threat until they are able to get tanks and breakers. Human goes down pretty quickly versus bloodlust though. The breakers have limited mana and mostly humans use their sanctums to build priests for inner fire instead of breakers for spell steal. Tanks are extremely dangerous, even more then there is a level 6 Archmage with unlimited free Mass Teleports. To a unit. If you see a human that is doing pretty well, you want to take him out. Human Mountain King / Paladin is pretty dangerous considering your undead and they can nuke some big amounts of damage. You want to kill human fast with all you've got, which is 100% of the time usually enough. Wolves + Chieftain + Headhunters should be able to kill a few footmen and even damage their hero early in the game. Human is the fastest expoer, and if they expo too fast, they waste valuable time. Expos are easy to hit, loot and plunder.

[Versus Undead]
    Bloodlust handles all, especially with berserk. Even Wyrms can't stop the mass piercing effect. In a full battle, it's a huge mess, usually ending with the opponent Undead heroes dead/damaged and if he didn't micro, all his units are gone too. You have to aim for berserkers and micro your heroes against there heroes. Spam Far Seer's Lightning and Wind Walk on the blademaster / Multistun with TC for greater effect. To stop Pure mass Wyrms, get Batriders or Wind Riders, both are useful and work pretty well. Skeletons aren't very helpful for Undead, because Tauren's AoE Slam does huge amounts of damage and breaks through Skeletons pretty easy. While with the combined things of the orc army, every other army looks pretty much small and weak.

[Undead]
    Even though I prefer Orc, Undead is still a very reasonable race and is still my main race for carrying. Undead has great nukes and other crap, but you might want to start off with Dreadlord instead of Death Knight in FFA, because a level 6 DK is useless. Animate Dead doesn't do much, while Infernal is a great Ultimate that can be used over and over and over again to make sure you ALWAYS have an Infernal in play. I hardly ever get Skeleton masses, I prefer Unholy Frenzy + Wyrms with Hero Support. Full army, if use of DK should be DK, Lich, and DL. Dreadlord is a wise choice because sleep is very powerful for disabling those powerful heroes your opponent has. Wyrms are expensive so you better watch out. Expo with fiends or ghouls depending on which hero your getting/how your play style is. Remember, always build Necropolis so you can TP to your expos for defense. Undead expos are harder to come by, so defend them wisely.

[Versus Orc]
    Use air with powerful ground tanks, like Abominations. Even though Destroyer isn't autocast, it's still your best bet versus bloodlust. Orc can be brought down easy if your levels are high enough and you have the right position at the right time. Target Far Seer / Shadow Hunter, they are relatively weak heroes to kill especially with Orb of Corruption and a good amount of high level nukes thanks to the large amount of various creeps on selected FFA maps. Beware, Fiends go down REALLY fast versus the powerful Orc army, so try to limit your building of fiends.

[Versus Night Elf]
    This is the only scenario in which you can get Skeletons. Human have dispel, Undead have Devour magic, Orc have Dispel too. But Versus Night Elf, they have nothing but wisps which they don't usually suicide. Get Skeletons with Meat Wagons to load corpses and amass. Remember that skeletons don't count for food, so you'll still be able to get wyrms/aboms/fiends/etc. Watch out for Warden / Naga / Panda, high levels of those are deadly counters for air mass, because of Fan Knives, Lightning, and Breath of fire, which does large amounts of damage late game. + Panda's brew is VERY annoying, makes you slow, makes you miss, makes you weak. So beware. Try to rush the Night Elf ASAP so you won't have to deal with a strong army.

[Versus Human]
    Human is sort of Dangerous, depending on what they get. Archmage is no problem against UD nukes, while Paladin/MK is pretty dangerous. Tanks are annoying and can damage Undead structures easily, so protect your bases and expos well. Remember to get Devour magic, because Sorceress's polymorph is extremely dangerous that completely disables your frost wyrms for long chunks of time, allowing the riflemen to wreck away at your units. You want to aim for their weaker units, like Mortars in the back.

[Versus Undead]
    This is simple to explain, just get A good amount of strong air units and 3 heroes. Wyrms + Unholy frenzy is VERY powerful, especially versus enemy UD players who might get abominations or have slower tech themselves. Watch your lumber, remember to get Goblin Shredders for extra lumber if you are running row and it's effecting your gameplay. Nuke enemy heroes under 50% health, and focus fire with wyrms and all your units, then spread the damage for the rest.

[Night Elf]
    I hardly see anybody win with Night Elf unless EVERYONE is Night Elf or they're heroes are extra buff. Night Elf is defenetly the hardest race to play on FFA, mostly on deciding what to get because Chims/Bears (the good stuff) cost so much food and income. Night Elf is the 2nd fastest expoer and has a good synergy with tech, just never stop making wisps on your main until tech. I suggest getting Demon Hunter or Warden to start out with because they are the carrying heroes of the game. You can use Ancient of Wars to creep larger creeps (just don't get attacked) and quick tech lets you choose a Tavern hero for yourself pretty fast. I enjoy playing Night Elf when the matchup against other players is a bit easier.

[Versus Orc]
    A Good orc player will beat the Night Elf Army EVERY SINGLE TIME, depending on position and upgrades/micro. Bloodlus is just way to powerful when used against Night Elf because berserkers/other piercing crushes through almost all of the Night Elf units. You need Chimeras and a good amount of bears and strong heroes to counter a Orc attack, remember to get Corrosive Breath versus towers or burrows.

[Versus Undead]
    You want to rush and get Warden because if they get ghouls, Warden is able to counter with Fan Knives, which does massive amounts of damage to ghouls in one cast. Get bears/dryad/Pitlord AoE against fiends and other backdoor Undead units. To stop Wyrms, get Hippogryphs direct combat attack against the wyrms, which does massive amounts of damage in a short amount of time, just like gargoyles. Versus a normal UD player who uses units like these: http://www.battle.net/war3/images/undead/screens/ss004.jpg, you need to get pitlords AoE rain of Fire, which completely kicks butt against enemy UD players with bear and dryad support. You don't know this , but bears are pretty hard to kill. NEVER EVER get mountain giants in FFA, they require 7 food.

[Versus Human]
    Many units Human has counter everything on the Night Elf army. You need strong heroes, dryads, bears, chims, gryphs to counter a human army. Theres really nothing much I can do to stop a good human player.

[Versus Night Elf]
    It's pretty simple, the first guy to get hippogryph RIDERS gains the advantage. Their archers can't be hit in the air and can do plenty of damage when creeping and you have a lower chance of being ambushed because you have air faster then anybody else. Mass hippogryphs versus enemy air, remember the guy who focus fires the hippogryphs wins the battle. Be sure your microing and not just running into a battle against another Night Elf player blindly. Scrolls/Potions are useful if you aren't using a lot of ground units.

[Human]
    Although highly underestimated, Human is the balance between races.
    • Human > Night Elf
    • Night Elf > Orc
    • Orc > Undead
    • Undead > Human
    I know that isn't necesarily true, but it bottoms out. Humans have the most balanced army in the game. They're the cleanest race by far and the most hated race on WoW ( I heard from my friend) Tanks are essential in a good FFA game and fully upgraded tanks are virtually moving buff Anti-structure towers. Remember they can also hit air in groups.

[Versus Orc]
    Now you want to get Spellbreakers (Like 6, versus Orc bloodlust), so you can stop the bloodlust and aim for the Healing Wards in a battle. Polymorph the Tauren/other units if you have the necessary mana and get Inner Fire (which is just about bloodlust, if you compare it head on.) Inner fire gives a substantial armor and attack bonus which is really useful when your playing a massive game. Remember to upgrade all your units and stun the running away units. You can get gryphons and hawks to stop enemy air and escaped ground units. You don't want to be aiming the full HP heroes, orc heroes are pretty buff.

[Versus Undead]
    I try my best to kill the Undead players early on in the game, because high leveled undead heroes give your human heroes a "blast" to the altar. You want to make a rush by researching Defend with Footmen and hitting Undead Ziggurats and gold mines. Make sure your expo/tech is up before you plan on rushing someone. Tanks > Air units, because tanks are fortified and virtually unkillible in battle, a great way to take out those strong Undead Structures.

[Versus Human]
    Mass Breakers, no doubt. If they get casters, Breakers just counter everything. Breaker/Rifle is the strongest thing you can get versus Human and maybe some knights later for tanking for your army range units. You want to have a reasonable mass and keep your units alive and mass expo against enemy humans, the most expos give a great advantage, and also, don't hesitate to tower if you have enough lumber to upgrade. Remember, if there isn't orc or UD, you want to kill the human competition pretty fast to stop their advance.

[Versus Night Elf]
    The easiest thing.
    • Mountain King, Paladin, Tavern Hero
    • Riflemen
    • Sorceress (Master, with polymorph)
    • Priests (Master, with Inner Fire)
    • Morts (Frag Shards Upgraded)
    This combo completely destroys Night Elf because Night Elf units are mostly unarmored or heavy, if heavy, all you have to do is polymorph. If medium, Frag Shards will wreck through their armour anyways with that great upgrade. Aim for NE mains/Draw them out/Stuns heroes/G_G.

[Credits]
    I'm pretty sorry that the guide blocks got smaller at the end, I was kind of tired, this took more then a couple of hours. I hope you enjoyed reading the guide and that it helped you.

Special Thanks
    My opponents for being Noob ^_^
    My Bro Pitlord for playing for me when I needed to use the bR.

Guide Written by Archimonde.

[ChangeLog]
    • 1.0 - Early Dec 19 Submitted.
    Last edited by Archimonde; 12-19-2007 at 10:57 AM.

hendricius is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome contribution . Thanks a lot
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

"D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

Mr.Olsen is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe i should write one for roc. I used to be rank one in ffa there. also i usually do like... 10/0 ffa easily... but then 3 idiots starts teaming up on me.. usually i win that aswell... but not always :p

Cav^ is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Olsen View Post
    Maybe i should write one for roc. I used to be rank one in ffa there. also i usually do like... 10/0 ffa easily... but then 3 idiots starts teaming up on me.. usually i win that aswell... but not always :p
    Mind telling me the account you was #1 with?

I would like to research a number of things.
    Code:
                              __
                             /  \
       ___   ___ __      __ /_/\_\
      / __\ / _ \\ \    / /  
     / /   / /_\ \\ \  / /
    / /__ / _____ \\ \/ /
    \___//_/     \_\\__/

Mr.Olsen is offline Banned User Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, but it was in 1.16 or 1.17. Also it was without maphack or any hacks at all.

So i can't remember the accout name specificly. Also it was with night elf. i weren't too good thoose days, but you can imagine what tactic i used

35yeros is offline Im still on a Boat.
    Array
    N38°52'14" W77°03'19" its funny because it might be true
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    nice, ill have to give this to a firend who play wc3

btw
    anoyne know when the next world tourment is for wc3?
    When in doubt, empty the magazine, They dont pay you to bring home bullets

Dexxter is offline Premium Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'll try orc.

PitLorD is offline Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great guide, bro.

I also perfer orc over all the other races.

Hallowsend is offline OG

Array
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great Guide man!

Archimonde is offline Premium Member
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged