WoW vs. Other new Games?

This is a discussion on WoW vs. Other new Games? within the WoW forum board part of the Hot Games category; Everybody who is going to read this post is going to know about World of Warcraft. In this post, I ...

Hallowsend is offline I wear short shorts

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WoW vs. Other new Games?

Everybody who is going to read this post is going to know about World of Warcraft. In this post, I will look at some of the pros and cons of WoW And some other MMORPG games coming out soon that are, according to current polls out, going to way outnumber WoW In the population.

For those of you that do not know, World of Warcraft is an MMORPG created in 2006 by Blizzard Entertainment. The game was predicted to do well, and, it did much better than anyone could have predicted. The game currently has more than ten million subscribers, each one of them paying Blizzard $15/mo. Now, this game started off as a basic game, no expansions or anything, but blizzard was doing so well with this game in 2006 that they decided they would release another expansion, and by 2007, the expansion was created and released. The expansion was called, The Burning Crusade. Now, the game does tremendously better than every game available now, as does everything about it (MMORPG's and RPG's). It is doing so well, that Blizzard is going to release a new expansion pack called Wrath of the Litch King, or WotLK. Some analyzers think that the release of this expansion is releasing at a very competitive time, because so many other games are coming out at around the same time.

Currently, the games that are coming out soon and predicted to outnumber WoW And have better graphics and gameplay are Age Of Conan, and Warhammer Online. To me, I think that Blizzard should not have even released TBC expansion, and I am strongly against WotLK release.

I actually do think that AoC and Warhammer are going to be better than WoW for many reasons, and some of these reasons you may not agree with, but it is just my opinion:

-1) More advanced graphics. You would be surprised at how many advances would come out in a year.

-2) New gameplay. Everyone loves a change, and lets face it... Azeroth and Kalimdor and Outlands are getting boring.

-3) More area for development. Blizzard has sort of an elitist attitude right now, and all they are doing is taking out what we love and wondering why we get pissed at them.

-4) Hacks. New hack ideas, new ways to hack, easy hacking, all this stuff. Don't you remember the good old days when you could make your own weapons on live WoW with WPE?

-4) Scams and account trading. These are going to be HUGE! Everyone wants to try a new scam or trade a new account, but not everyone has something to trade. I mean seriously, everyone deserves the right to play ;P

-5) Availability. I think and am almost positive that AoC and Warhammer will not cost $15/mo before they even get the chance to see how their game is doing and improve upon it.

-6) Class based games can only go so far... So why not make the best out of them and release new games with new classes? I mean, rogues, mages... all so generic, but all the new stuff is awesome.

But... WoW Will not be helpless, I think that there will still be so many WoW Players, that Blizzard will still be in business, and although I and many people look at it as though Blizzard shouldn't release an expansion, it is helping them. Like I said before, new areas and classes are a good thing!

Here are a few reasons why WoW Will stay alive:

-1) Due to the massive banwave, so many people are going to AoC and Warhammer that the servers will be flooded and overpopulated to begin with, so many people will stick with WoW To avoid this rush.

-2) Level 80. Everyone wants to be the highest level, and with the new expansion, level 80 will bring people new armour, the ability to be accepted into harder instances, and all that good stuff.

-3) Northrend looks much better than I thought it would. It isn't actually all snow, but there are some areas of forest!

-4) New instances. Always a fun thing. Remember when Kara came out? And EQ? Good times...

-5) Death Knight. Or as I call it, (teh suck) I only say that because, instant level 55? Seriously, I would rather play out the whole thing, it would be much more fun, and would actually give people a chance to get to know the class.

-6) Blizzard. They know what they are doing, and probably have some trick up their sleeve just in case AoC or Warhammer overpowers them. Trust me, they aren't as dumb as they may seem.

I hope that some of you actually read this and enjoyed parts of it!
    Thanks,
    Hallowsend

MaRcDk is offline Business Owner

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for Sharing +Rep

hendricius is offline Administrator

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. You made the main points which I have to agree with as well . Age of Conan looks very promising. + Rep.
    You suck. Suck a little less and become a fan on Facebook.

"D3scene pwns" - Hendrik (PIRATE)

Xerxes is offline Mentor
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The onset of Age of Conan and Warhammer Online turned me off many other WoW forum regions, as they are being swamped by threads proclaiming "AoC + War > WoW - here's why I'm leaving". There are also "AoC/War will kill off/replace/defeat/obliterate WoW from the market" topics as well, written by those who haven't an inch of knowledge of economics.

Yes, new games are coming out that are fantasy MMORPG's
    Yes, said games are:
    - better looking in terms of graphics
    - more diverse in terms of classes and game content
    - a breath of fresh air from Warcraft
    Yes, said games will attract new subscribers.

However, WoW...
    - has over 9 million, pushing 10 or possibly even beyond that by now, global subscribers
    - will probably only lose 3 million globally as permanent quitters in favour of WHO and AoC, maximum. I can't see these two competitors being as big over in Asia, a core market of Blizzard's, than they will in the US or Europe.
    - will retain subscribers looking to play both new and old
    - has less demands on your hardware. Players with older rigs (such as myself) will stick with what they can still run without having the CPU fan go into overdrive and shred the motherboard to pieces
    - has millions of established players. Do they really want to drop their epic'ed out level 70 mage, in favour of starting the grind with a level 1 bandit, or whatever class terminology the new ones use, can they stomach another grind?
    - has an expansion coming up. Like with TBC, WOTLK stands to attract a good million more fresh players, at least, to the Warcraft universe.

Blizzard sees competitors on the horizon. Blizzard values this competition. It gives it more of an opportunity to prove itself, rather than being dismissed as monopolising the MMO market.

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
    The onset of Age of Conan and Warhammer Online turned me off many other WoW forum regions, as they are being swamped by threads proclaiming "AoC + War > WoW - here's why I'm leaving". There are also "AoC/War will kill off/replace/defeat/obliterate WoW from the market" topics as well, written by those who haven't an inch of knowledge of economics.

Yes, new games are coming out that are fantasy MMORPG's
    Yes, said games are:
    - better looking in terms of graphics
    - more diverse in terms of classes and game content
    - a breath of fresh air from Warcraft
    Yes, said games will attract new subscribers.

However, WoW...
    - has over 9 million, pushing 10 or possibly even beyond that by now, global subscribers
    - will probably only lose 3 million globally as permanent quitters in favour of WHO and AoC, maximum. I can't see these two competitors being as big over in Asia, a core market of Blizzard's, than they will in the US or Europe.
    - will retain subscribers looking to play both new and old
    - has less demands on your hardware. Players with older rigs (such as myself) will stick with what they can still run without having the CPU fan go into overdrive and shred the motherboard to pieces
    - has millions of established players. Do they really want to drop their epic'ed out level 70 mage, in favour of starting the grind with a level 1 bandit, or whatever class terminology the new ones use, can they stomach another grind?
    - has an expansion coming up. Like with TBC, WOTLK stands to attract a good million more fresh players, at least, to the Warcraft universe.

Blizzard sees competitors on the horizon. Blizzard values this competition. It gives it more of an opportunity to prove itself, rather than being dismissed as monopolising the MMO market.
    I agree with this, but there are a few things...

You are right with the hardware issue. AOC and WHO are going to do massive things to your cpu if you do not have the right rig. WoW Stays low on CPU usage and RAM, and is relatively small in terms of hard drive space.

From people that already played AOC, I have herd the grind is actually not that bad. Apparently leveling up doesn't take as long in that game, but of course, I talk to people with the collectors addition and get the extra experience boost.

And, after the May banwave, im not sure anyone would go back to WoW, (At least on public servers) If they got banned, and Blizzard banned loads of people those 2 days...

Thanks for all the feedback,
    Hallowsend

Volund is offline Banned

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of those people were also gliders... so, they really had it coming eventually.

I'm looking forward to WoTLK, and I'd go after AOC if the monthly fee wasn't so high , I don't think this will kill blizzard in any sense at all.

Array
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Blizzard will lose lots of business, and as always, people will be out there scamming accounts. Blizzard will not be killed, as you said, but they will suffer a loss of at least 4 million players world wide, and from what I have herd, gliders + openbotters and innerspace users got banned

Ellinaras is offline Hacker
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blizzard sucks bad
    http://signup.leagueoflegends.com/en/signup/index?ref=4d60efce98d51026118720
    League of legends !