Private Server Virtualization

This is a discussion on Private Server Virtualization within the WoW Private Server Emulation board part of the WoW Private Servers category; Hey folks, I'm attempting to set up a private WoW server for me and 2 or 3 friends to muck ...

HunterjWizzard is offline Newbie
    Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Private Server Virtualization

Hey folks,

I'm attempting to set up a private WoW server for me and 2 or 3 friends to muck about on(we want to fight each other by summoning raid bosses in the middle of Stormwind, if thats any indigation of the kind of shinanigans we have planned). I ontained a repack of a Trinity Core server and the accompanying client, and it works fine if the client and server are on the same local machine.

However, this means lan play or even basic multiplayer is impossible. I'd also prefer to run the server from a virtual machine for portability and to protect my metal systems from outside threats(some of my friends are connecting over internet).

I've already been chased off of the Trinity Core forums for commiting the cardinal sins of:
    *Posting a request for help in the Help and Support area(go figure)
    *Not knowing an insanely outdated networking term that was being used incorrectly by another poster
    *Using a repack(they say they "don't support" repacks, but really these people just HATE anyone who uses shortcuts).

My goal, if I can eventually get the setup working, is the post the entire VM online so others can download a fully-functional lan server to study.

Anyway, I have set the realmlist.wtf properly on the client, and every so often I can get it to work for a few select seconds. I am sure the problem is server-side, but I am not entirely sure where and what I need to change.

I'm sure I am going to need to post some more information, but if you have any suggestions or if I'm just posting this in the wrong place, well let me know.

Thank you in advance!

Ryan is offline Ubiquitous

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm if it's just you ad a few friends I would use hamachi. Honestly I wouldn't use a virtual machine as they cost money. You shouldn't be worried about your computer if it's just your closest buddies.....

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Virtual machines don't cost money, I use https://www.virtualbox.org/

Anyway, the problem is with the server configuration: its not set up to work as a lanserver. The working version of it(the one I initially installed on my workstation) has the same problem: can't connect from another computer(I tried from my gaming computer). Once I cross that hurdle hamachi might be really useful.

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I helped my friend create a server for us (a few years ago) this is what we had done *I'm trying my best to recall*Download RepackRun mysql and world exe'sEdit the configuration files in the servers folder to his IPEdit the host file in C:/windowsRestart the exes if they were running firstI think that's all it was. It was simple. I know we have guides on here for making a server public, easily over 20 guides. Instead of running LAN, why don't you make it public and give the IP to your buddies ? I myself have never setup LAN, but I'm sure it's the same concept

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Setting the server to public is probably what I need to do, thanks. Plus this way we can all play from home! That'll be easy. Where can I find the guides?

Thanks!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have guides in our private server section. If they aren't stickied, or on the first page; there is a search function we have provided near the top. Otherwise I would suggest a website called "ac-web" ... They offer guides, repacks, compiled custom items, ect. They have a great community as well. Let us know if you need further help if you can not get this working as you please

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for pointing me towards ac-web. I have finally determined that the problem has to do with my virtual machine and the way it interacts with the network. The server is working and the client is working, its just the way the VM presents itself.

Thank you for all of your help!

Array
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad I could help .. Feel free to message me for any other issues you may have